[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Correct. If you want the other station modules, i would have to dig up all the mods I used. Things like Near Future Tech, Universal Storage, TACLS, RoverDude's array of mods, CactEye, plus my Multipurpose Colony Module that is compatible with MKS/OKS. Doable, but you will need OpenGL to run it all since Active Texture Manager is having troubles at the moment.

Thanks. I run 64-bit so memory issues shouldnt be a problem.

why are you turning westward to land? It'd be much easier to come straight in off your orbital trajectory, you won't have to pitch over and you'll have a bit more speed on approach.

honestly, I am using MechJeb to do the deorbit burn and I always end up a few clicks past KSC. Jeb has to flip the shuttle upside down and pull a 180, whichs really scares the crew as they dive for the ocean. :) I haven't figured out the right nav coordinates yet to land on runway 90 (so you deorbit and the runway is right there in front of you).

I am not at the point where I can fly Manley style without MJ but I am getting better at dockings. I may write a mod to tell me what controls will make me go in the right direction when I select a port and say control from here though. Having to figure out the controls eact time is driving me nuts. I just need some visual indicators. Select a docking port and the mod tells me which key to press to go up, down, etc. a mod like that plus NavyFish's docking alignment tool would really help me out.

honestly, I am using MechJeb to do the deorbit burn and I always end up a few clicks past KSC. Jeb has to flip the shuttle upside down and pull a 180, whichs really scares the crew as they dive for the ocean. :) I haven't figured out the right nav coordinates yet to land on runway 90 (so you deorbit and the runway is right there in front of you).

I am not at the point where I can fly Manley style without MJ but I am getting better at dockings. I may write a mod to tell me what controls will make me go in the right direction when I select a port and say control from here though. Having to figure out the controls eact time is driving me nuts. I just need some visual indicators. Select a docking port and the mod tells me which key to press to go up, down, etc. a mod like that plus NavyFish's docking alignment tool would really help me out.

If youre using MechJeb, use the 'Land at KSC' function, let it burn until the red x is on top of the blue x, then shut off landing guidance, and burn retrograde for another 5 or 6 seconds at full then throttle down and ride it in, it should take pretty much right to runway 090.

Also, were those subassemblies built with .24.2 or .25?

If youre using MechJeb, use the 'Land at KSC' function, let it burn until the red x is on top of the blue x, then shut off landing guidance, and burn retrograde for another 5 or 6 seconds at full then throttle down and ride it in, it should take pretty much right to runway 090.

Also, were those subassemblies built with .24.2 or .25?

i will give that a try, thanks. :) The arms were built in .25 but they will work fine on .24.2. I ported them over when .25 dropped. i think you can just edit the config files to make then .24.2 if desired.

You probably don't need the Pier One arm and can get away with the SPRMS, but I built the Pier One arm first (that is the second generation version, the first feneration version used the older rails and pistons and KAS magnet).

Tomorrow I can see about cleaning up the other station modules I built to cut down on some of the mods I used. I don't really need the B9 adapters on the ends of the battery trusses, for instance, but the omni lights are awesome. And the CactEye probe core on the Pier One could be replaced with a MJ unit. The core module needs a bit of work before I can release it to the public; I had some trouble with the pre-release Firespitter dll and am using the .24.2 version. That, and I need to debug the dll I wrote. But I can swap out my core module with the OKS colony hub.

@Orbitus II: I'll check out Planetshine, thanks! I have a ton of mods but if I can slip that in, all the better. Your station looks nice, what are the orange cylinders?

The one at the far end of the station is a stock Rockomax tank, the closer ones are from my One-Eye Industries mod (link in my signature). That pack comes with a cool Soyuz-style docking port that actually functions like the real thing. It makes docking tricky but it's also quite satisfying when you get something docked.

@Avalon304: cool stuff! Now I'm questioning how feasible an arm for the Super 25 would be since it's obviously a useful thing to have... I've got fall break coming up so I'll have some time today and tomorrow that I can probably use to experiment with plugins, although I'm worried it may end up going the way of my 747 Landing Gear... Eh, if I never try I'll never know. If the arm plugin and part end up working out then I'll open up a thread for community expansions.

Edited by OrbitusII

I did a thing:

http://imgur.com/a/9eohg

Album link.

This arm mimic's the real space shuttle's SRMS, as seen here: SRMS.

I wish there was a reset all command, or some way for me to add parts to multiple servo groups but its no bit deal to hit the reset command on each component of the arm.

Nice! I like how it neatly fits the Super 25 and still has room for the standard KSOS payload. I think a reasonable answer to "where my ksos arm" is "go play with Infernal Robotics." The art style does seem to fit with Zoid's reworks.

The one at the far end of the station is a stock Rockomax tank, the closer ones are from my One-Eye Industries mod (link in my signature). That pack comes with a cool Soyuz-style docking port that actually functions like the real thing. It makes docking tricky but it's also quite satisfying when you get something docked.

@Avalon304: cool stuff! Now I'm questioning how feasible an arm for the Super 25 would be since it's obviously a useful thing to have... I've got fall break coming up so I'll have some time today and tomorrow that I can probably use to experiment with plugins, although I'm worried it may end up going the way of my 747 Landing Gear... Eh, if I never try I'll never know. If the arm plugin and part end up working out then I'll open up a thread for community expansions.

Very cool, I'll have to check it out.

Edited by Angel-125

Ok, here is the link to all the subassemblies I created for the Starlab station, Phase 1. You'll need the following mods:

Near Future Electrical

MechJeb

TweakScale

MKS/OKS

KSOS

Infernal Robotics

Universal Storage (+core, KAS, TAC)

DMagic Orbital Science

Modules:

OKS Station Core: built from the core OKS Colony Command Center.

Pier One: docking port for KSOS and Super 25. Has a station arm.

SPRMS: Self-Propelled Remote Manipulator System

BATS: Battery Array Truss Segments.

SATS: Solar Array Truss Segments.

Station Fuel Tank: for refueling orbiting spacecraft.

NOTE: OKS Core Module lacks space for waste, waste water, carbon dioxide, and waste water processing.

Best used in sandbox.

Once I have the remaining issues sorted out I'll make the Multipurpose Colony Module available and its accompanying core module assembly.

Edited by Angel-125

I have a question for all of you “Professional†KSOS Pilots/Commanders (Sorry Jeb), I’m just wondering what input device do you to control the KSOS, just Keyboard/Mouse, Gamepad, Joystick, etc..?

Thanks,

@ Angel 125: I really enjoyed the KSOS Missions & the surprise on KSOS 10 was cool (I didn’t see that one coming)

@ Avalon 304: the SRMS is cool.

I have a question for all of you “Professional†KSOS Pilots/Commanders (Sorry Jeb), I’m just wondering what input device do you to control the KSOS, just Keyboard/Mouse, Gamepad, Joystick, etc..?

Thanks,

@ Angel 125: I really enjoyed the KSOS Missions & the surprise on KSOS 10 was cool (I didn’t see that one coming)

I am definitely an amateur, heh. But I just use the keyboard and curse a lot. Glad you liked the highlights. I have more missions planned but need to slow down and job hunt. That, and work on more art assets.

@Avalon I noticed that your albums have the right aspect ratio and do not look cropped when posted. How do you do that?

Edited by Angel-125

Thanks,

I just use a keyboard and mouse, like I do for everything in KSP. Part of my reason is so that I don't accidentally provide input on other axes when I'm just trying to pitch during a gravity turn, but there's also the fact that I don't have a joystick. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

I use a keyboard and mouse, just like when flying anything else in KSP, but the majority of my KSOS missions are flowing under the control od MechJeb, the only parts where my hands are actively flying either KSO are the re-entry and landings, everything else is automated. And thanks. I actually refined the arm 2 more times last night which wound up giving it extra extension range on both arms... pictures to come...

@Avalon I noticed that your albums have the right aspect ratio and do not look cropped when posted. How do you do that?

No idea... I just used the imgur tags like I normally do.

Edited by Avalon304

I've actually landed right out of inverted half-loop once. No engines. I don't even know how have I managed to do that, but went asesomly smooth. I've used joystick at that time, but did minor corrections from keyboard.

Btw, anybody tried flying with StockDragFix? It removes resources from drag calculations, makes full and empty tanks behave differently in flight but also uncouples drag&mass, adding stability issues if your COM is behind center of mass. Difficult to get it that way tho, as large parts are still light and have lower drag. Turning 45% in flight is a problem tho, and realistic gravity turns are possible even with mechjeb and with reasonable dv

Edited by sashan

hello all i;am getting "JSI initialization Failed" green letters when using KSO cockpit ksp 0.25 and RPM latest version

anyone know how to fix this? thx

Try the latest Raster Prop Monitor: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603-0-25-RasterPropMonitor-putting-the-A-in-your-IVA-%28v0-18-3%29-8-Oct?highlight=Raster+prop+monitor

if that does not fix it, then You'll need Helldiver and crew's help.

Haven't met this problem, but IMO either you have a wrong plugin version (doesn't support your KSP version) either you haven't installed it correctly.

Question to everyone: anyone tried adding lifting surface module to the helicopter? Flying sideways at max speed without any centering force is weird. I've added this to tail boom, but it only acts in horisontal direction, and for vertical there's no part with correct orientation on the tail...

MODULE

{

name = ModuleLiftingSurface

deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.08

dragAtMaxAoA = 0.15

dragAtMinAoA = 0.0

}

Edited by sashan

Try the latest Raster Prop Monitor: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603-0-25-RasterPropMonitor-putting-the-A-in-your-IVA-%28v0-18-3%29-8-Oct?highlight=Raster+prop+monitor

if that does not fix it, then You'll need Helldiver and crew's help.

yeap i got the latest version but still no luck everything else works fine just the KSO and EWBCL cockpits throw this error....strange

Haven't met this problem, but IMO either you have a wrong plugin version (doesn't support your KSP version) either you haven't installed it correctly.

Question to everyone: anyone tried adding lifting surface module to the helicopter? Flying sideways at max speed without any centering force is weird. I've added this to tail boom, but it only acts in horisontal direction, and for vertical there's no part with correct orientation on the tail...

MODULE

{

name = ModuleLiftingSurface

deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.08

dragAtMaxAoA = 0.15

dragAtMinAoA = 0.0

}

I wrote a patch when phase 4 was still in testing that changed the main rotor to have the lifting surface and removed it from the heli fuselage. I think I even added a control surface to the rotor. I liked it better than the current setup. Never got any real feedback on it though from helldiver and nazari. Allowed me to autorotate land the kerbostar too. Once everything is updated for KSP 0.25 I'll revisit it and release it here if there's interest.

yeap i got the latest version but still no luck everything else works fine just the KSO and EWBCL cockpits throw this error....strange

Chances are something is not installed right. Last time someone brought up this error they had two module manager DLLs in their gamedata directory, so make sure you only have one copy in there. Other than that, make sure everything else is installed correctly and you're using the latest versions.

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

Chances are something is not installed right. Last time someone brought up this error they had two module manager DLLs in their gamedata directory, so make sure you only have one copy in there. Other than that, make sure everything else is installed correctly and you're using the latest versions.

i think its a problem with KSO RPM configs

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603-0-25-RasterPropMonitor-putting-the-A-in-your-IVA-(v0-18-3)-8-Oct?p=1477635&viewfull=1#post1477635

some people are having same/similar issues

one guy fixed it by removing ATM (but thats not an option for me cause i run out of memory)

will dig deeper..see if i can find the problem but logs are not helping much (in logs there is an entry that it just failed and no mention on where and what)

and like i said everything else works perfect (alcor,HGR etc etc)

That code I posted works very well, pitch is trying to be centered on velocity vector.

As for yaw... Tomorrow I'll try to rotate tail rotor 90 degrees around roll axis and add same config to it.

Btw, anyone had a problem of parts surface attached to the fuselage and main rotor falling off on launch? Seems I've broken something after the latest tweaks (nothing to do with liftingsurface). I have scale parts mod installed btw, and one of the parts is MechJeb installed vertically (to allow Translatron use) and scaled 25%.

I noticed there seems to be problems with active texture management and or maybe editor extensions. When I removed those all the sudden RPM was working right.

try removing only ATM i cant test it cause i run out of memory

I stopped having the memory problem when I took off Editor Extensions. KSO and HGR are the only part mods I use besides pwings and fairings. I guess Mechjeb comes with parts, oh and I use Universal Storage and KAS... but I was only running out of memory in X32 when I had BOTH KSO and Editor Extensions loaded. Once I took EE off all my other mods loaded and I got to the main menu.

Thanks,

I use a CH Pro Combatstick and Pro Throttle USB for most maneuvers, but use the keyboard for RCS during docking maneuvers.

I use mechjeb's landing guidance, but really only for the landing prediction cross-hairs. I found that putting them between the KSC and the mountains usually gives me enough glidespeed to make it to the runway. You need to remember that landing guidance is designed to bring you in with a vertical powered descent, so it assumes that you'll slow to a stop a few thousand meters above your landing site and go straight down. Another thing you can try, if you're looking like you'll overshoot is to put the shuttle through a few lazy S-turns to bleed off speed, the real shuttle does this on it's final approach to slow from supersonic to a safe landing speed.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

During re-rentry and landing, an old PS3 dual shock running through XPadder. Otherwise a keyboard and mouse, but i've been meaning to try the dual shock during docking too.