TSC SP24-D Komet: SSTO Space Plane/Lander Hybrid

Togs8896

Fun little toy I made today. The SP24 operates like any normal SSTO space plane, but has the added function of the forward cockpit area detaching to be used as a lander on orbital bodies without atmosphere. Following its mission to the surface, the lander can return to orbit, couple with the main body and continue normal atmospheric operations, even landing on the runway at the KSC. I was actually quite impressed with how well it handles and preforms for a plane held together by by a single docking port. As with all my ships, this was created and flown entirely without mods or part clipping enabled.

Kerbal011.jpg

Kerbal010.jpg

Kerbal013.jpg

Kerbal016.jpg

Kerbal015.jpg

Thanks guys! Here's the craft file, have fun with it:

https://www./?11r0t38co11vt9c

Operations Manual:

Rated to 200,000 m for Kerbin climb, orbit, and re-entry

Vr Rotation Speed: 75 m/s

Vref Landing Speed (Min Fuel): 80 m/s

Vref Landing Speed (Max Fuel): 120 m/s

- Following rotation, Pitch to 65 degrees and monitor air intake.

- At air intake <.40, pitch down to ~18-20 degrees and keep prograde vector between 4-5 degrees. Keep air intake above .11

- At 1200 m/s, switch engines to closed cycle (2) and pitch to 50 degrees to climb into orbit.

NOTE: At roughly 30-40 km, the ship will attempt to turn left. This is easily solved by banking (not yawing) into the turn. A max of 20 degrees right bank may be required for the orbital ascent while still in atmosphere.

(1) Toggle rapier engines

(2) Switch rapier mode

(6) Un-dock lander pod

(7) Toggle forward RCS (Disable for space plane operations; engage for lander pod operations)

(8) Toggle solar panels

(9) Toggle lander pod engines

(0) Toggle lander pod landing struts

Edited by Togs8896

I was thinking the same thing when I was testing it, but surprisingly (and i'm using that word quite literally) I have had zero problems reconnecting the lander. I think it has something to do with either the precise RCS controls or the way it's easy to line up with the canards on the lander with the wings on the orbiter, but it goes back together quite well.

What about multi-port docking? You could use TVR multi-couplers to ensure that the mating ports on each half are identical, and all the ports should auto-snap towards each other at the last moment. On top of that, it would make for a stronger connection.

My original design actually had two clamp-o-tron jrs to tether the lander and body together, but when I would undock the lander, the rest of the body would split in half. I finally gave up on the dual design and went with the single clamp-on-tron.

• 1 year later...

Togs8896

Thanks guys! Here's the craft file, have fun with it:

Operations Manual:

Rated to 200,000 m for Kerbin climb, orbit, and re-entry

Vr Rotation Speed: 75 m/s

Vref Landing Speed (Min Fuel): 80 m/s

Vref Landing Speed (Max Fuel): 120 m/s

- Following rotation, Pitch to 65 degrees and monitor air intake.

- At air intake <.40, pitch down to ~18-20 degrees and keep prograde vector between 4-5 degrees. Keep air intake above .11

- At 1200 m/s, switch engines to closed cycle (2) and pitch to 50 degrees to climb into orbit.

NOTE: At roughly 30-40 km, the ship will attempt to turn left. This is easily solved by banking (not yawing) into the turn. A max of 20 degrees right bank may be required for the orbital ascent while still in atmosphere.

(1) Toggle rapier engines

(2) Switch rapier mode

(6) Un-dock lander pod

(7) Toggle forward RCS (Disable for space plane operations; engage for lander pod operations)

(8) Toggle solar panels

(9) Toggle lander pod engines

(0) Toggle lander pod landing struts

I downloaded the craft, its says its a .craft.txt file ... IS GOING ON?!?!? :mad:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.