the MEGASHIP thread

While clearly not nearly as massive as many of the vehicles in this thread, this little guy is pretty massive by my standards. In theory, it has vehicles prepared for every environment in the Jool SOI. Thank heavens for KAS EVA struts...

VFz8ukS.jpg

[TABLE=width: 800]

[TR]

[TD]The TranStar Emerald Explorer, mobile kethane exploration and refinery platform

screenshot321.png

Carried aboard:

DV-103 Dromedary trans-atmospheric dropship and satellite deployment tug (forward vehicle bay)

6 "Green Bay" resource scanning satellites (aft equipment bay)

screenshot316.png

Dromedary pulls the satellite from the equipment bay and tows it to the planned parking orbit

screenshot336.png

Once kethane deposits are found and selected for recovery, Dromedary retrieves the mining rig from the equipment bay and heads down. One of the solar panels was damaged during the first landing attempt, but the weight offset was readily compensated-for with some careful tweaking of the appropriate engine thrust limiter

screenshot343.png

The rig topped off with raw kethane, Dromedary returns to Emerald Explorer for delivery. Damage repairs can be made at this point, before the rig heads back down for another load.

screenshot346.png

screenshot350.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

*Takes hat off and looks down somberly*

"We are here today to bid farewell to the Titan-1.... and pretty much everything else."

My computer died and the hard drive is toast, so I'm afraid the Titan-1 won't be doing a grand tour, it never even left orbit :( If I try to do a stock grand tour again I'll likely do something similar, but it won't be quite the same as the Titan-1. I'm still waiting on a replacement computer to arrive so till then my KSP stuff is on hold. Luckily I did have the pics for the current chapter of my AAR uploaded... unluckily I did not have backups of the actual save game or the rest of the pics :(

If I manage to get everything up and running and do another grand tour setup I'll post 'Titan-2' or whatever it is up here.

I haven't got it off of the ground yet, but I have this waiting for a launch vehicle capable of taking it to orbit. At which point it will proceed to do a grand tour without jettisoning anything, or refuelling.

http://i.imgur.com/UqBkXEP.png

Just a note: This has over 30K D/V. Yeah. But starting TWR is 1/2, and has about 2K atmo D/V, sot it is a real pain to launch.

Might I humbly request a craft file for this .. craft? This looks exactly like what I envisioned a while back, however regrettably my construction abilities lag rather far behind what my imagination can come up with.

As for launching, I have an orbital shipyard just for such situations.

Standing by for a grand tour mission is the IEV Enterprise ENT-051-A:

http://i.imgur.com/OlVjyY4.png

The ship can carry 14 crew, though 12 will be standard, and it is equipped with a fusion engine, greenhouses, and a centrifuge.

http://i.imgur.com/fIS6BNn.png

Definitely one of my larger ships. It currently needs refuelling, which shall be done while a new Eve lander is developed (last one failed...) and the Tylo lander is positioned.

How are you liking that fusion engine? I tinkered with it a while back, but my ADD kicked in and I've lost the files for it. I always liked how it looked.

Kind of mega ship.. I use it to bring crew to Duna. Only 50% fuel consumed :D.

Maybe I can dock a lander on it.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/08/1392930506-sans-titre2.png

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/08/1392930517-sans-titre.png

What mod are those engines, fuel tanks, and panels. The engines look like an argon and/or xenon ion-engine, and frankly the FX is realy neat.

Sorry for the 8,000 questions, I really love what everyone has done in this thread.

Edited by Chaosratt

• 5 weeks later...

Cheeses! I felt rather smug with my Duna explorer (175 tons in orbit in one launch), with three landers and fuel (to spare I'd say) it was 465 tons.

(Interstellar mod, no mech jab).

Not so smug anymore...

BurningtoDuna.jpg

My Jool mission is in the works. 281 tons of payload in LKO (similar design but with fusion engines and 2 3,75 m fission reactors), will see how heavy it gets when all the equipment is on and fuelled up...

Edited by ZAIZAI

My megaship: it took 6 or 7 flights to build it, in 4 parts, with super-tug (at front of the ship), probe bay (below tug), instruments and power generation area (below probe bay), and below that a 10-kerbal crew's quarters (not counting a Cupola module at the very front of the ship on the tug for the pilot). It weighed about 750 tons.

x7XQut2.png

It was intended for interplanetary use, but it never did get used (all parts were tested and did work, though). I plan to use it once I get better with my interplanetary piloting.

Edited by YourEverydayWaffle
Added approximate weight

• 8 months later...

My interplanetary explorer/lander on which I visited almost all Kerbin system bodies that allowed get back into space (Eve was off the list, as usual) with biomass resupply station/pusher. Lost 1/3 of engines by the way - middle atomic engine and some of hybrid ones were torn away by Kraken during burns. After all that long journey it was dumped on Jool.

nZ4hscQl.png

With stats:

XXSekwCl.png

And that's my "The Kraken's Bay" orbital shipyard:

vpnZtX6l.png

x6ckpBdl.png

Not so big yet, about 230 tons, but I also plan to add some Davon supply mod thingies to optimize resupply process.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.