[0.90][Plugin/WIP][Discontinued indefinitely] KittopiaTech Ingame Terraforming Tools V0.192

KCreator

Presenting: The KittopiaTech Terraformer's toolbox! An in game planet editor.

I was looking at PlanetFactory:CE, and thought: I should make a full ingame editor (With some extra utils that PF doesn't have, like AtmosphereFromSpace and Ocean tools)... It took a while, but this is what I got:

As an example, I Terraformed Minmus, using nothing but this in-game UI. (Todo, create a better image)

http://imgur.com/a/gpzFE

Its fairly feature complete, only a few GUI bugs to fix, and a few tools to complete, but it should be viable for full on editing, even on stock planets.

It can save and load, and will load all available data on game start, to allow user terraformed planets to persist.

Download Latest Version

Source code on github:

GitHub

Debug Minmus:

Download | Alternative file (.zip)

Large scale particles on Kerbol:

Download

Changelog:

V0.182

-Recompiled for .90, UI should open again.

V0.181

-Bug fix in ring rotation lock.

-Additional stuff, not yet fully operational.

v0.18

-Bugfix in with ocean texturing

V0.175

-Changes to HazardOcean, requires CFG rebuilds. and larger heat rates. 1000 should create rapid heating.

-Changes to ring "Lock rotation"

-Unlit option added to rings.

note: Ring configs will need to be regenerated, or have "Unlit" and "LockRot" Boolean values added.

V0.1741

-Compiled against 64bit .242, should be compatible now.

V0.174

-bugfixes

-Sun Shader value editing

V0.172

-More help options

-Small fixes

V0.17

-Added basic ingame documentation, will add to the database and create remaining buttons.

-Fixed upload not containing SaveLoad

V0.16

-Starfix fixes

-Can now colour flares, lights still have strange behaviour... I still need to hack the sunshader, one step closer to custom stars, though!

V0.155

-Added AtmosphereFromGround sun target fix... Not sure how it will work for real-time modified bodies.

V0.15

-Changed Colour editor

-Changed Vector editor

-Added scaledspace particle emitter and editor

-Added hazard ocean module

-Bugfixes

-Changed UI scale slightly

V0.141

-Small hotfix

V0.14

-Ocean Adding now works

-Ocean texture importing now works

-Added link to optional sample file

V0.131

-hotfixed reference bodies in orbit params

V0.13

-Textures from scaledspace save and load

-Bugfixes

-More options

V0.125

-Hotfix to save orbit colours

-Add Ocean may work now

V0.12

-Orbit editor improvements

-Orbit colour editor

-Ability to change scaledspace atmo texture, the default is black, so it deletes stuff like the green glow on Jool

-Default ring texture is now an external file, and loads correctly.

-Minor bugfixes

V0.115

-Added Alpha transparency to rings, looks better.

v0.11

-Hotfix, small ring changes.

v0.1

-RINGS!!!

-Fixed v0.095 so it actually works.

-Changed saving and loading to work better.

v0.095

-Quick update to allow repositioning of the windows.

v0.09

-Fixed ocean tools

-Added PQS selector

-Backend stuff to make future tools/functions easier.

-Made loading more stable, but its still broken beyond belief... I will try my hardest to fix this.

v0.085

-Hotfix for a few problems I found.

V0.08

-Added Starfix module.

V0.076

-Changed loading back to "Universal", will need to investigate.

V0.075

-Quickfix for loading, orbits load correctly now.

V0.07

-Will now save and load on a per-save-file basis

V0.06

-Orbits can now be saved and loaded

V0.05

-Added vector manipulation, should have tested this before pushing out but oh well...

V0.04

-Orbit editor

-PQSAdder

-Ui improvements

V0.03

-Fixed template selection cutting off last planet

V0.02

-Fixed silly little error.

How to use: While in-game, press "Control" and "P", and select a 'template', from there, change values to whatever looks good.

There are a few known bugs:

1) Inputs are a bit finicky, I will try to fix one day.

2) Updating scaledspace will hang the game. I'm not sure if its fixable without sacrificing quality at this stage.

3) Some tools are not implemented yet...

4) Use the starfix module at your own risk! Don't try making Kerbin a "Fixed Star", for instance. ( It does actually work... )

Fix remaining bugs.

Add missing tools.

Smooth GUI layout.

My development roadmap:

-Technical:

==Loading models/textures for height map/scatter/PQSCity

==Fix bugs

==Texture exporter (80% done)

==PlanetFactory/RSS compatible CFG exporter. (Partial)

==Easier scaledspace updates, currently hangs the game.

-Modules:

-GUI:

==Better looking/easier GUI (Its much better than V0.01 now for sure)

==Improve colour picker GUI (Almost perfect)

-Gameplay:

==Terraforming parts (Work has begun, atmospheric reprocessing is about 50% complete)

==tech tree integration for said parts

-Other:

==Mirror in case Dropbox overloads.

==Tutorials (Video, images , text, etc.) (Ingame information added, still needs more work)

==Document the various PQSMods (In progress )

*(?) means I'm unsure.

Please post pictures of modified planets, I would like to see what's being done with this tool!

Some may wander what the Starfix is? It is a fix I wrote to allow instantiated "Suns" to emit light like Kerbol does, it probably even works with solar panels!

(Note, My version supports x-Star systems)

Credit to:

jfredett, for helping me select a better licencing plan. Copyright laws give me a headache.

Kragrathea, for creating some of the utilitys used in this plugin, and for PlanetFactory. The thing that inspired me to make this.

The kind people at the #KSPModders IRC

License:

This plugin and its source code is licenced under Creative Commons "Attribution-ShareAlike CC BY-SA", except when otherwise stated in the source code. Such as the utility code I got permission to use from Kragrathea.

This plugin is provided "As-Is", and to be used at the users own risk (Not that there is any real damage that can be done, and I will work on fixing bugs reported)

Files generated from this plugin can be used and distributed at the users discretion, however, I forbid monetisation using "Pay-Per-Download" Sites ( Such as "ad.fly" or any other site choses at the plugin authors discretion), and/or various forms of advertisement revenue. Permission may be granted at the authors discretion to be exempt from said restriction.

Kerbal Space Program is a copyright of Squad, and as such, Squad has the ability to override any and all licence restrictions on this plugin, should they so choose.

So, I am trying to get the Better Atmospheres mod which requires this, but in a .25 version. Can you link older downloads?

Question: I can't get rings to appear around non gas giants such as Kerbin or Eeloo. Jool works fine as do my mod's gas giants. Kerbin and Eeloo however don't and I meticulously copied Jool's working cfg, changing all the relevant fields to those of Kerbin/Eeloo. Is it a bug, or is there some sort of mass/radius requirement for the mod to allow rings around a body?

There is a specific property of rings, Jool requires much less radius for a ring to work, while other planets, such as Kerbin, require much larger numbers.

I mentioned some info earlier, on page 14:

Rings have weird scaling issues... Seems gas giants have a need for a min of 5000 and Kerbin has a min of something like 10000. Lock rotation adds a "rotational lock" to the rings, preventing them from jiggling all over the place, but it seems a bit broken, causing the inclination to be 0.

Hopefully this clarifies things!

Is there a way to get a perfectly smooth sphere with this plugin? I can't figure out a way to delete the pre-existing PQS mods.

So far, you cant delete PQSMods, but you can disable them, check the "disabled" (or was that enabled?) tickbox and rebuild it. I guess I should add the ability to erase a PQSMod, as it may be needed to help clean up mistakes/make smooth planets easier.

So, I've got this running ... but I can't edit any planets.

I hit ctl-P to bring up the window, but no matter what I do all the options are unavailable with an error of "no planet selected" .. the post says to "select a template" but I can't find anywhere in the UI to do that.

I've tried focusing my view on a planet, being in orbit of it, targeting it, etc etc .. no go.

Any help?

Is it possible to load height map textures using this mod? There are a few references to it in the editor, but they won't do anything (either because they do nothing or I did something wrong).

Second question Kcreator: how do I edit a procedural moons (Gilly, etc.) terrain/ScaledSpace and have it load correctly the next time? If you know the correct steps, please share them.

Could you please upload older versions? I'm doing a 0.24.2 save file and this build doesn't work for me, no rings or GUI

I'm very sorry, but I don't think I have any legacy versions on my computer, however I will browse the horribly organised filesystem and edit this post with it, should I find it.

edit: Thanks to one of my good friends, I have aquired legacy version of 0.18, here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80556647/PlanetaryEditingToolsUI%20v0.18.zip

Is it possible to load height map textures using this mod? There are a few references to it in the editor, but they won't do anything (either because they do nothing or I did something wrong).

Second question Kcreator: how do I edit a procedural moons (Gilly, etc.) terrain/ScaledSpace and have it load correctly the next time? If you know the correct steps, please share them.

Right now, the "texture browser" is broken. However, I can add a temporary fix to just load it based on names and suchlike. I will do this ASAP. As for editing procedural planets/moons: you would want to edit PQSMod_VertexPlanet, or other PQSMods such as PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise. ScaledSpace updates are the same for all planets, and simply use the export checkbox to allow it to persist on reload. Remember to hit save in order to keep the changes to the PQSMods.

Edited by KCreator

Thanks for the update Kcreator. About the new license: I've distributed my mod under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 so far. Your plugin is also included in my mod. Is that license close enough to your CC BY-SA or do I need to make some license changes for future updatest to my mod if it contains 0.183 or newer?

Thanks for the update Kcreator. About the new license: I've distributed my mod under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 so far. Your plugin is also included in my mod. Is that license close enough to your CC BY-SA or do I need to make some license changes for future updatest to my mod if it contains 0.183 or newer?

So long as your mod does not capitalize on my code, I am fine with it. If you are using a custom binary compile, no further permissions are needed other than my old CC BY-SA.

The licence change was just to correct some mistakes I made with license selection that may have allowed people to profit from my work via unwanted advertisement revenue and suchlike, and I felt uncomfortable with the prospect. Also note, the config files the tool generated for you are yours and you can do whatever you want with them.

I am sorry if the change seems more restrictive and confusing, but its mainly for my own sanity.

My mod does no such thing, so it seems it's all a-okay.

I'm trying to get a height map to work, but to no avail. I've put a height map in these locations, based on what the new height map texture path in the GUI is telling me. Planet is just the placeholder name.

KittopiaSpace/Textures/Planet/PQS/_Height.png

KittopiaSpace/Textures/Planet/PQS/Planet_Height.png

KittopiaSpace/Textures/Planet/PQS/desertplanet_height.png*

*This is the path as described by the SaveLoad cfg

None of these work. Do I need to perform other steps to load a height map, or am I doing something else wrong?

Firstly: I have released a new version, with preliminary support for custom ground scatters. These are models (in the same format as parts) added to a models folder. The location is as followed: "GameData/KittopiaSpace/Models/TemplateName/scattermesh<number>". These have not had saveload implemented yet. I have been a bit neglectful of KittopiaTech, sadly.

And yes, the textures are a bit weird. Manually adding " (MapSO)" directly on the end of the keyvalue of the cfg file might help.

I'm not sure who's job this would be, but are you planning on fixing the incompatibilites with StarSystems? I could send a bugged gamedata over to help with the process if requested...

This has incompatibilities with starsystems? Send me some debug info and I will see if I can fix it.

KCreator, I'm having issues with a transparent ring around my planet obscuring its rings and orbital paths, as you can see in the lower right corner of the screen below. Have you ever seen something like this and if so, do you know how to fix it permanently? I've managed to remove it when I set the Transform Scale (legacy) in the Atmosphere SFX menu to anything other than the default 1.025. But I can't get it to apply to the next time I launch, primarily because changing the Transform Scale isn't recorded in the SaveLoad configs.

12Y3mOw.png

I'd love support for using height/color maps. I'v been playing around trying to get a PQS_Mapdecal to work so that I could add interesting features on planets but I'v found no way to make this work other than using Planetfactory. The Skelton planet from there uses a decal to place a huge mountain on the side of the planet. I'v tried using RSS to add a decal but it doesn't seem to work there either. Also would like to be able to just use heightmaps to specify terrain for the procedural type planets like Minmus and Gilly. Ideally I'd just like to have more control in creating "interesting" areas to explore, rather than just tweaking some random deformity values that apply uniformly over the entire surface.

KCreator, I'm having issues with a transparent ring around my planet obscuring its rings and orbital paths, as you can see in the lower right corner of the screen below. Have you ever seen something like this and if so, do you know how to fix it permanently? I've managed to remove it when I set the Transform Scale (legacy) in the Atmosphere SFX menu to anything other than the default 1.025. But I can't get it to apply to the next time I launch, primarily because changing the Transform Scale isn't recorded in the SaveLoad configs.

That is definatly due to the atmospherefromground component... I never interfaced scale to saveload, but I guess I can do that for next update.

I'd love support for using height/color maps. I'v been playing around trying to get a PQS_Mapdecal to work so that I could add interesting features on planets but I'v found no way to make this work other than using Planetfactory. The Skelton planet from there uses a decal to place a huge mountain on the side of the planet. I'v tried using RSS to add a decal but it doesn't seem to work there either. Also would like to be able to just use heightmaps to specify terrain for the procedural type planets like Minmus and Gilly. Ideally I'd just like to have more control in creating "interesting" areas to explore, rather than just tweaking some random deformity values that apply uniformly over the entire surface.

I am still in the process of trying to fix the texture import functionality. For some odd reason it doesn't play nice...