[0.90][Plugin/WIP][Discontinued indefinitely] KittopiaTech Ingame Terraforming Tools V0.192

KCreator

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I have said on the Kopernicus development thread, I am formally discontinuing this project for an indefinite period of time.

This plugin has fulfilled its role, and is technically scope-complete. However I am no longer interested in continuing development of it, or any other planet-based mods. There are many factors that contribute to this. Such as my own short-sightedness while programming this plugin. For instance:

-KSP's API being difficult and troublesome.

-The code has become too difficult to read and edit with ease.

-User unfriendly UI design.

-Unrealistic expectations of the end-user.

-Kopernicus will fill in most of this planets unique features anyway.

-Lack of programmers on the planet making scheme.

-General ignorance of this plugins goal, potential and capability.

-Lack of PQSMod creativity.

and finally, Other projects of mine taking precedence.

I am sorry if I am seeming rude, however I have noticed, and become rather upset by the state of the "planet making" group, mainly the reliance of third-party tools and utilities. In the early days, the art of making planets was reserved for adept plugin makers. And generally were self-contained.

There are defiantly exceptions, such as NathenKell, Gravitasi, MrHappyFace, OvenProofMars and his successor, medsouz, and, of course the Kopernicus team.

I wish to thank everyone who supported this plugin, and I wish the Kopernicus team luck. I would be honoured if they decide to use some of this plugins code to make life easier on them.

Should interest rise again, I might resume. But for now, feel free to gut this mod of all its good stuff.

As I have said on the Kopernicus development thread, I am formally discontinuing this project for an indefinite period of time.

This plugin has fulfilled its role, and is technically scope-complete. However I am no longer interested in continuing development of it, or any other planet-based mods. There are many factors that contribute to this. Such as my own short-sightedness while programming this plugin. For instance:

-KSP's API being difficult and troublesome.

-The code has become too difficult to read and edit with ease.

-User unfriendly UI design.

-Unrealistic expectations of the end-user.

-Kopernicus will fill in most of this planets unique features anyway.

-Lack of programmers on the planet making scheme.

-General ignorance of this plugins goal, potential and capability.

-Lack of PQSMod creativity.

and finally, Other projects of mine taking precedence.

I am sorry if I am seeming rude, however I have noticed, and become rather upset by the state of the "planet making" group, mainly the reliance of third-party tools and utilities. In the early days, the art of making planets was reserved for adept plugin makers. And generally were self-contained.

There are defiantly exceptions, such as NathenKell, Gravitasi, MrHappyFace, OvenProofMars and his successor, medsouz, and, of course the Kopernicus team.

I wish to thank everyone who supported this plugin, and I wish the Kopernicus team luck. I would be honoured if they decide to use some of this plugins code to make life easier on them.

Should interest rise again, I might resume. But for now, feel free to gut this mod of all its good stuff.

Aww that makes me sad as I've been lurking around the Planet Making community forever now :( Sad to see you go but you do have a point and there has been a lot of really cheapo planet packs that don't go anywhere. Well I'm excited to see for any of your future projects :D.

the state of the "planet making" group, mainly the reliance of third-party tools and utilities. In the early days, the art of making planets was reserved for adept plugin makers. And generally were self-contained.

I know I am part of the problem, but he's right. The a majority of the portion of the community that hangs around those threads know almost nothing about how said mods work or even how to use them. Although they are some of the best and most complex modifications to the game in terms of code, they attract a certain type of person that is immature (for lack of a better word) and expects things right away and done perfectly. Things don't work that way. If you don't know how to do it yourself, have patience and respect the limitations of the authors.

Once again, for clarity, I know I am part of the problem, but you can hardly disagree with KCreator on this topic.

/rant

I would really like to continue this project, especially the planet reproccessing feature has tons of potential and would be incredibly cool, but I'm still not that good with scripting sadly :/ I hope somebody will make this happen :P

I would really like to continue this project, especially the planet reproccessing feature has tons of potential and would be incredibly cool, but I'm still not that good with scripting sadly :/ I hope somebody will make this happen :P

There is a mod now that bundles this mod and Kopernicus together into one mod. It's called KopernicusTech.

Quick question before I try diving into the unknown of planet mods - I'm looking for options to sort out Minmus turning into a black hole under DX11 ( and Ike, apparently, and anything based on either ) which I'm assuming is shader related somehow; can I replace the surface materal of an existing planet with this mod? not just a texture, I'd need to change the shader also.

Is there a way to load the ring texture from a chosen folder?

I know that putting the texture in the kittopia folder named Planetname_rings.png will work, but could I make it load from another folder?

Thanks to whoever can help :)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thank you for making a wonderful MOD Kittopia; it looks like it may have found a home with KopernicusTech; I am trying out this combo tonite and making a comparison; I couldnt do anything with it in Planet Factory in fact I couldnt even get it to load; with KopernicusTech this may work now.

Users need to understand limitations of MODS; to me lighting and shader effects are beyond the scope of Kittopia and I dont know how DDS fits in; AND this is all supposed to work in the Unity Engine which some people seem to forget.

Some Modders out here are making mountains out of molehills and in some cases that is awesome (!); I hope to see this in action tonite (!) and if it works I will be streaming the results !

Cmdr Zeta

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Sad to see this happen, as the Kerbol system will never be expanded in quite the same way again. but, as said, the community has become rather stagnant in some ways, and too over the top in others. *sigh*

• 8 months later...

Thread has been dead for well over a year, and since it's been explicitly stated as discontinued, it seems unlikely to revive at this point.  Locking to prevent further confusion.

@KCreator, if you'd like it unlocked, please let us know and we'll open it back up.