[0.90][Plugin/WIP][Discontinued indefinitely] KittopiaTech Ingame Terraforming Tools V0.192

KCreator

Its fine! What is the point on making these tools if no-one uses them, after all?

Also, I did end up hot fixing the plugin a few times, I am sorry for inconvenience. If a feature doesn't work, just tell me and I will see if I can fix it.

To distribute changes, look in "GameData/KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad" for PlanetName.cfg, This file can be given to others, who only have to put that file in SaveLoad, and it will work. Hopefully...

Sure, Here is a quick written guide:

Step 1: Select template.

Step 2: Open ring tools.

Step 3: Set "Inner Radius", this will be where the ring starts relative to the planet. It should be something like 8000+

Step 4: Set "Outer Radius", this MUST be greater than inner radius... I think. the size of the ring is the difference between inner and outer

Step 5: Set a colour if you would like, useful if you are just using the grey template ring texture.

Step 6: Open the "kittopiaspace/textures" folder, and copy kerbin_rings.cfg, rename the copy to "<planetname>_rings.cfg

Step 7: Hit "Generate rings", if it didn't look correct, hit delete rings.

Step 8: Save planet, you are done.

I am sorry it isn't too user friendly, but as I have said before: I am a programmer, not a graphics designer :(

Also, I am sorry if the texture thing is a bit weird, A default texture should be loaded, but it isn't...

Thank you.

To distribute changes, look in "GameData/KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad" for PlanetName.cfg, This file can be given to others, who only have to put that file in SaveLoad, and it will work. Hopefully...

Ok, thanks! :D

I have tried out the new ring tools in this mod on my planet pack I am designing, though I am having a small problem. I have followed the instructions you posted, though as far as I can tell no rings are being formed. I will send you a download link via PM for the pack+ the two relevent folders for this mod.

Also on a related note, the color editor for the rings does not seem to save the color when you click on the save to buffer in the editor.

Edit: I took another look. The rings are there.... though... The units on the inner/outer radius are not measured in meters are they? I found the rings 100 times as far out as the planet's furthest moon. Derp. Also, what units is the tilt measured in?

Edited by braininator

Ring radius is scaled by the radius of the planet, but the units are probably very off... I will work on fixing it, but for now, experimentation will eventually get the results, and "Tilt" is measured in degrees on the pitch axis.

The colour editor requires you to save to the buffer, then hit the "save" button next to the "edit" button. I should really make this easier!

Also, is there anyone willing to help me make a shader that creates noise in the texture when the camera is close enough? This will help make the rings look less 2D...

Ring radius is scaled by the radius of the planet, but the units are probably very off... I will work on fixing it, but for now, experimentation will eventually get the results, and "Tilt" is measured in degrees on the pitch axis.

The colour editor requires you to save to the buffer, then hit the "save" button next to the "edit" button. I should really make this easier!

Also, is there anyone willing to help me make a shader that creates noise in the texture when the camera is close enough? This will help make the rings look less 2D...

I'm useless at shaders unfortunately, but this imediately made me think of the rings from Space Engine:

downloader.php?file=Terran_Rings6.PNG

I'm having a problem, I can't give my planet rings, and when I change the atmosphere color, the planet still has the green hue around it, but the atmosphere apears the right color when I move the camera into it.

Ring radius is scaled by the radius of the planet, but the units are probably very off... I will work on fixing it, but for now, experimentation will eventually get the results

Ah thank you for that information... I could only see the rings when i was viewing it's orbit around the sun in map view... apparently 600,000 to 1,000,000 of whatever unit was being used was really quite massive.

Ah thank you for that information... I could only see the rings when i was viewing it's orbit around the sun in map view... apparently 600,000 to 1,000,000 of whatever unit was being used was really quite massive.

I think its in meters.

I think its in meters.

it's not meters, I found that out the hard way. Try a much smaller number on your rings(1- a higher number....perhaps) and you should be able to see the rings. mine were probably 3x as far out as the SOI of my planet at 600K inner radius. I found 1k-6K is inside the gas planet's radius, I will use KC's jool cfg to get a good number and show results.

A question to all those who use the ring tools: Should I lock the rotation on the yaw and roll axis? This will stop the strange effects of the ring "jiggling" around the planet. However, on super-high time warps, it looks a bit wonky. Or is the yaw rotation relative to the planet rotation acceptable/looks cool/etc.?

Also, 0.12 of this tool added a new button in the "Atmo Tools" (Formerly AFG Editor) section, it deletes/changes the scaledspace atmosphere shaders. And I will push forward a new update addressing a few bugs soon. However, opinion is needed on the yaw rotation lock of rings. Worst comes to worst, it will be optional.

One more thing: Would you like me to implement an ocean texture import tool? If so, how should it work?, In fact: for texture based PQSMods, how should loading textures work in general?

Question about rings: When I am in the Tracking Station they look bright and normal, when I am in flight in space they are really dark and hard to see, but when I am on Laythe they are bright and normal only in flight view. What is going on?

cqmkTVk.png

Qn18C32.png

The weird brightness issues are caused by the weirdness of the scaledspace to localspace system. I will continue to research and attempt fixes. Although it might require some form of custom shader to trick the texture into doing what I want...

A question to all those who use the ring tools: Should I lock the rotation on the yaw and roll axis? This will stop the strange effects of the ring "jiggling" around the planet. However, on super-high time warps, it looks a bit wonky. Or is the yaw rotation relative to the planet rotation acceptable/looks cool/etc.?

Maybe it should just be optional. That way, planet creators can have just a little more freedom.

The orbit color changing is an awesome feature! Unfortunately, the saving to a file does seem to be working correctly. Only half of the planets I did it to(all CE planets) saved, and those that did only saved the default color. Would you like me to repeat it and post output log?

The orbit color changing is an awesome feature! Unfortunately, the saving to a file does seem to be working correctly. Only half of the planets I did it to(all CE planets) saved, and those that did only saved the default color. Would you like me to repeat it and post output log?

That would be ideal, I might have messed something up, and a debug log of saving, and loading, will help pinpoint any errors.

Worst comes to worst, you could always start editing the cfg generated in SaveLoad, but I will look into fixing saving errors.

In the next update of this tool, I will add a tool to add textures to texture based PQSMods, and a tool to override ocean textures. However, I am noticing bugs with the ocean instantiation. So it might be delayed, at least until I figure out how to fix it.

Ocean tools have been a bit of a battle, textures seem to fail a lot, but I am working on fixing it up. I will also modify the "Hazardous Ocean" module I gave to my planet "Red" in my test plugin, it will allow oceans to slowly destroy parts that land in them. This next release should be soon.

edit: Released a hotfix for saving orbit colours, sorry everyone!

Edited by KCreator

I'm using Planet Factory CE and RSS to create a full recreation of our own Solar System and I tried to use the Ring Tool to add rings to Saturn. It worked, but when I reload the game Saturn has shrunk in size and no longer has the rings. It seems to have reverted to the original size of Jool (the template Saturn is based on). Is there some conflict between this mod and PF CE or RSS?

I love the ring tools of this mod. I added some rings to Jool like Saturn and some rings to Dres like the asteroid Chariklo.

cqmkTVk.png

74qzKCS.png

The rings are dark in flight but are still bright for Jool when on Laythe for some reason.