[WIP - 0.25] Squad HD Re-texture Project - Continuous Release (July 25)

blackheart612

The log objects might not be that accurate, it's hard to find. FS Texture Switcher just needs where you put your textures and it's the material where it puts it. I'm not sure as I'm not good at this at the moment but pretty sure you have "6nodes.001" in your model and it has the material "NodeCol" and I remember FS have problems when it comes to periods. I dunno, maye try putting it back in game with 6nodes_001 or 6nodes001 and try putting it in the objects, there's no harm in trying.

Edit: I'm sorry guys, I just can't help myself, I keep getting distracted. Just look at this, I made a customized helmet just because I saw Devnote Tuesdays-the helmet there. (I also customized the default suit a bit)

Ssi3ILl.png

fmDlyaF.png

Edited by blackheart612

The picture up there made me realize how much the MK1-2 needs a heatshield. Well, there's this thing and this thing, but they won't work with the retextured pod. Actually, the SDHI one might just work with the retextured pod, due to it covering the small amount of heat shield that the stock pod has.

You can probably go ahead and do them in hi-rez. If the user has the "aggressive" texture compressor, they'll be cut in half anyways. If they already have low-rez and there's no exceptions built into the compressor config, they'll be basically cut in half again (the larger ones at least). For this reason I'm not even bothering with low-rez versions in the B9 texture pack. I think a feature of the next KSP version is also some kind of texture size management, as well as 64-bit coming down the pike...RAM limits would become a moot point then.

Yeah well, I know about it but I am the one who doesn't ease up because of a texture compressor so the question is.. is everybody up for a 2k texture pack or something? I'll re-re-texture my re-textures so you can re-texture your textures with my re-textures with HD textures. If you want it, dawg.

Yeah well, I know about it but I am the one who doesn't ease up because of a texture compressor so the question is.. is everybody up for a 2k texture pack or something? I'll re-re-texture my re-textures so you can re-texture your textures with my re-textures with HD textures. If you want it, dawg.

That is the most confusing sentence lol.

Nah, I'd rather just have them stay at 1024*1024. Doubling the resolution would only be visible if you're really, REALLY close to the parts, so it's not necessary and would mean a lot of extra workload for you, for almost no gain.

lol just 1024 actually. So guys.... HD pack or not?

Depends on what you mean by HD. I've looked into texel density a while ago and came to the conclusion that 128 pixels per meter is ok for most purposes. That's the same density as B9 parts, and it's the same density I always use. If you want to go above that then that's obviously fine (as an option), but bear in mind a lot of people are already forced to use the texture reduction mod. I definitely wont be able to take advantage of HD textures.

Yes, some of it. I don't actually have the numbers 001 anywhere in my models or my Unity project, but I tried it anyway. What you said also gave me another idea that I'll look into. I'll let you know if it works. When you release the engines I'll be able to do some reverse engineering, so we'll see.

So it's a rectangle. Yeah 1024*512 seems about right. That should be the default I think, but if the other engines are smaller then 512^2 also seems about right. I imagine that a mainsail would be 1024^2 then. If that' all correct then that seem fine for default, and then if you want you can increase the size by 2 for a HD. Just my opinion.

1024 is perfect (you cas set texture management to rip if you want). But you can try 960 to 720px as half step, if you want lighter textures with some definition.

Edited by Proot

Just wanna say got FSTextureSwitcher done for a tank.

1024x1024 :3

https://i.imgur.com/JPvxdQb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/tayqP8V.png

https://i.imgur.com/RgCq5kv.png

You figured the UV mapping for the tanks out? I tried to do a steampunk-style retexture with my Crappy Art Skillsâ„¢, but I couldn't figure the UV of the orange tank (or any of the other tanks, for that matter) out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.