United Unified Inter-Manufacturer Alliance Docking System. Texture DL link added

HarversteR, we need you to weigh in here with some insight that basically only you can provide.

Without wanting you to give too much away about future directions, is it worth the mod makers collaborating on a standard for a docking clamp? Or is the docking functionality going to be so generic that no such thing is really needed?

On the face of it, this is an initiative KGG will gladly support, but only if we as mod makers can have some sort of assurance that it\'s not a wasted effort. Mod town is a bit of a leaderless wilderness at the moment; any chance you could assign one of your minions as a shepherd for the times when we occasionally need some dev input?

HarversteR, we need you to weigh in here with some insight that basically only you can provide.

Without wanting you to give too much away about future directions, is it worth the mod makers collaborating on a standard for a docking clamp? Or is the docking functionality going to be so generic that no such thing is really needed?

On the face of it, this is an initiative KGG will gladly support, but only if we as mod makers can have some sort of assurance that it\'s not a wasted effort. Mod town is a bit of a leaderless wilderness at the moment; any chance you could assign one of your minions as a shepherd for the times when we occasionally need some dev input?

doesn\'t matter people will still want a docking part for parts that dock. it just plain looks better.

it just plain looks better.

Yeah, from my understanding each ship just needs a docking module to dock with another ship/space station (which will also need a docking module), no matter what they look like.

This part just helps them look pretty and/or functional in the process. It\'s an aesthetic choice.

Hey guys, I\'m doing a \'Practice Docking Parts\' mini-pack that someone requested in the forums, thought I\'d use this models. Seeing as they don\'t have texture yet, I\'m throwing something super basic on them, hope I\'m not violating anything by doing so, am I right?

As I understand you have based your ring off of APAS, so you could make a version of the hybrid docking system1 (probe, drogue). No real advantage over the APAS as far as I can tell, though I think it looks much cooler. Also I didn\'t realise this, but the reason that Progress (and by extension Soyuz) never switched over to APAS is because it doesn\'t allow fuel transfer like the standard Russian probe and drogue1 does.

1Note, not the same system.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.