Career mode: mun rover before rover wheels

Wachman

So, I'm in career mode and I've done the mun and minus landings. So next up, rover on mun. Problem I don't have any rover wheels unlocked. Hmm, I do have some wheels from the landing gear for my planes. So I whipped something up and wow, it worked.

wW5tBjc.png

It landed on it's tails where the rear 2 legs took the impact from the landing. Then, since there were only 2 legs back there the whole thing slowly tipped forward unto the bottom four legs (retracted in the above screenshot). Once the whole thing settled, the airplane landing gear was deployed, which actually lifted the rover slightly. I had left the bottom legs deployed thinking they would help stabilized the 3 wheeled rover over uneven terrain. But in the end one of the front legs usually caught on something and pinwheeled the whole thing.

RCS thrusters provided forward thrust. Unfortunately I didn't have enough RCS fuel to get anywhere far from where I landed, but it was fun. Relaunching from the surface involved pointing the nose uphill and firing the main engine.

SGANxUj.png

It can be lonely up there.

this is funny because this is basically what we did before rover wheels were added to the game.

V6MZL.jpg

Mc3no.jpg

That one is Ion propelled and since the wheels couldn't turn then... RCS for turning.

This one was RCS propelled

wdVbe.png

ah memories. As FITorion said, this used to be the only way to rover, unless you used mod wheels. These wheels still have the advantage of not breaking so if you want a stupidly fast rover they still have their place.

Or cruise control which is a feature I have missed alot with the stock wheels.

With the modded wheels with the assistance of a ASAS I could set the heading and speed and let the rover drive unattended for hours. This is sadly not possible anymore unless i use mods :\

The landing gear has steering now. Back in "ye olde days" we didn't have steering; we had to fight friction AND use ion thrust/RCS. *Grumbles about nostalgia*

That being a couple of versions ago, of course.

I still use these for a lot of rovers because I think they look a lot better than the actual rover wheels, given that the majority of larger structural parts in the stock game are black and white. A couple of these at the front and electric rover wheels at the back and you get a rear wheel drive rover with the ability to brake quickly by pressing G, sometimes with added explosions.

You spoiled youngsters with your "wheels." I remember back before we even had landing legs! If you really needed gear because you didn't want to land on your engine bell, you used fins. Want to know how we got around on the Mun's surface? We didn't! We stayed in one spot, and we liked it there! And then you went home, because there was nowhere else to go, and only one ship could exist at a time.

You spoiled youngsters with your "wheels." I remember back before we even had landing legs! If you really needed gear because you didn't want to land on your engine bell, you used fins. Want to know how we got around on the Mun's surface? We didn't! We stayed in one spot, and we liked it there! And then you went home, because there was nowhere else to go, and only one ship could exist at a time.

Bah, you think you had it hard? Back in my day we didn't even HAVE a Mun! When we got to space on our unreliable parts, there was nothing to do there but go back to Kerbin! And we had to be careful not to land on the dark side of the planet, because it ate our ships alive! At least it was always day at the launchpad back then.

Bah, you think you had it hard? Back in my day we didn't even HAVE a Mun! When we got to space on our unreliable parts, there was nothing to do there but go back to Kerbin! And we had to be careful not to land on the dark side of the planet, because it ate our ships alive! At least it was always day at the launchpad back then.

You whippersnappers have obviously never known the time before there was KSP at all. Back in those days when we wanted to go to the Moon, we had to build an actual rocket and fly there! No map mode, no maneuver nodes, no time acceleration. All we got was some grainy TV footage and a few rocks, and we liked it!

You whippersnappers have obviously never known the time before there was KSP at all. Back in those days when we wanted to go to the Moon, we had to build an actual rocket and fly there! No map mode, no maneuver nodes, no time acceleration. All we got was some grainy TV footage and a few rocks, and we liked it!

Hell yeah. *old man high five*

Or cruise control which is a feature I have missed alot with the stock wheels.

With the modded wheels with the assistance of a ASAS I could set the heading and speed and let the rover drive unattended for hours. This is sadly not possible anymore unless i use mods :\

The aircraft trim control works on rover wheels too, so you can at least set a rover to drive forward at low speed by itself. Alt-WASD does it I believe. It won't help you with heading, so your rover will drift, but it gives you something like cruise control in stock.

• 5 years later...
11 hours ago, amarillo114 said:

Wow, way cool designs here! Still so much to learn! :-D

On 2/10/2014 at 11:37 AM, thederper121 said:

This is now a thread about pre-.19 rovers. Start your posting!

While there are probably some good ideas to be had here, the designs and parts are so outdated to be no longer relevant.  There are quite a few good rover threads over in the spacecraft Exchange, where this thread now resides.