Stop Locking Threads Already

egreSS

Johnno I'm calling you out buddy.

This previous thread I had an answer to the guys question who resurrected it and one of my own about Shapeway but we're both screwed now. I mean, there's no reason to start a new thread on the same exact same subject simply because the thread is old. Seriously, when people search for something they hit the thread either off google or site search and can't post to it without starting a new thread for a simple question. Then are either yelled at for asking a question that was already answered in 10 separate threads on each page back OR told to go post their question on the most recent thread one page back. It defeats the entire concept, that's why threads rise to the top and why reddit is so popular.

3.4 Open discussion of staff decisions and general disrespect

We do not allow open discussion of staff decisions. If you disagree with a member of staff contact him or her first and hold all discussions in a civil manner. If the answer isn't satisfactory you can contact a senior member of staff.

Just sayin'

things have changed considerably in the KSP market since then.

KasperVld just posted in the thread in November talking about the Shapeway Jeb - I mentioned that above as specifically as having a question on that and who else better to ask than KasperVld?

Klingon: Probably right, that could just be Squad not forum moderators. Also, that's lawful but not very evil.

Just kidding, but I think this is one that could use some feedback from other users either for or against, feedback is always good.

Edited by egreSS

there's no reason to start a new thread on the same exact same subject simply because the thread is old

This is so true. Threads are being locked when people ressurect them by stupid, offtopic posts, not when they have something meaningful to add. Otherwise you stuff the forum with the same threads each few months. It's messy and helps no one.

Dear whoever designs the forum policy:

"What did you do in KSP today?"

It is a thread. It has got 505 pages now. A lot of stuff is outdated, of course. Yet it is here. Why? You answer this.

Forum "kings", how about exercising more common sense and NOT locking the threads unless absolutely necessary? In my humble opinion, that would go a long way towards winning the hearts and minds of your long-time _clients_.

Oh.... thought you care. Silly me, why should you? We aren't paying you any more. We already paid you to stay afloat a year or two or three ago. We are now just ballast, right? A loud useless ballast. I see.

I feel like I have to agree. In every respectable forum system, necroposting is acceptable if you have something meaningful and important to add to the discussion. An example I once saw on Mario Heaven (paraphrased as I don't remember the exact words):

Suppose you have a year-old thread about Abraham Lincoln. If somebody comments on how they like Lincoln's hat, that's pointless necroposting and they shouldn't have done it. But if somebody posts confirming the fact that Abe has been brought back from the dead, that is acceptable necroposting, as it adds something new and meaningful.

I'm (ironically) locking this thread because it violates rule 3.4. egreSS, if you want to discuss a forum moderator's decision then please PM him/her, or if you can't find an agreement, contact a senior member of staff.

The thread you're pointing at has been locked for over three months, and all questions in the thread seem to have been answered, so I don't really see the point in making such a big fuss about it.

Necroposting / bumping per se isn't forbidden on these forums, so long as the bump doesn't break the other forum rules (no contentless posts etc..)

PS:

I'm more than willing to answer any question(s) you may have about KSP merchandising, but since I locked this thread, feel free to PM me. If you want to discuss forum policies in general then that's great too, just open a thread in the Forum Forum, without pointing at specific cases.

Edited by KasperVld