Hercules, Titan and Hypatos PlanetFactory:CE Systems(With Rings!)

Yaeah

Hello!, here, I present my three systems I am currently creating under Planet factory Creator edition, Hercules, Hypatos, and Titan! (great names, right?:rolleyes:)

I will be adding or changing new moons or planets in these three systems!

This thread is up for suggestions and discussion!

Hercules is my only system containing a planet with rings, see pictures and Demo Vid below for more!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hercules is the planet parent of these moons:

Indus, a small planet with a thin atmosphere

Delphinus, a cratered planet with large gravity, great for gravity assists

Irenaeus largest natural satellite of Hercules, very visible

Sappho, a tiny planet, near the orbit of lynx.

Lynx, my personal favorite, as it resembles Titan, the atmospheric moon around Saturn, has an atmosphere 1.6 times that of Kerbin ASL, yet just 0.39 the Gravity.

Finally, Draco, a large, bright moon, possibly the most visible, is at the edge of the Hercules system.

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9gd7uliltbynha/Hercules%20System.zip

Now, for Titan, the blue gas giant at the far reaches of the Kerbol system.

Titan, A large Gas giant on the edge of nowhere land, is great for sling shot maneuvers out of the system!

Cepheusis batered by the radiation from Titan, and is a snowball, like most out here.

Cygnus Is really actually boring, except for the fact that is is very hard to look at, quite bright!

Miranda this moon is fun to explore, especially the poles with so much texture variation, and easy to land on thanks to low gravity

Lyra Lyra is a dark and mysterious moon, no one knows what to expect when landing here.

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/drb4rxq3ntjl73s/Titan%20System.zip

New textures for Hercules and Titan!

Hypatos system with the moon Vela as a parter in space

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzrn6a2neglg21k/Hypatos%20System.zip

ScienceDefs.cfg file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmrp6fa6j4pv4m6/ScienceDefs.cfg

Changelog:

1.0-release, Indus atmosphere glitch apparent.

1.1-Indus fixed, rescaled atmosphere

1.2- ScienceDefs.cfg released

1.3-New textures for Hercules and Titan.

1.3.1-new textures for Lyra, Delphinus, Cepheus and Cygnus. Moon "Irenaeus" added

1.4 New system: Hypatos

1.4.1 an issue with the radius of planets has been resolved(thanks Dooz!)

1.5 Rings have been added to Hercules!(Use clouds&cities mods for) this

1.5.1 Lynx now has an appreciable atmosphere color, And rings have been slightly altered.

1.5.2 Hercules' rings have been altered to give a more realistic appearance(thinner, brightness variation)

1.6 Hypatos and Vela have been removed from their previous orbits, and are now the new Draco and Corvus moons.

1.6.1 Titan now has new clouds, giving it an ominous feel, more appropriate for the gas giant.

1.6.2 Corvus has been changed to the new name Sappho

1.7 Hypatos has been re-designed, and re added, updates will follow

1.7.1 Indus now has a reworked atmosphere, and has some glow

1.7.2 Hypatos has been updated with matching textures

1.7.3 Draco and Delphinus' .cfg's have been slightly altered

1.7.4 Lyra now has a darker surface, matching it's description

1.7.5 Miranda has a new texture

1.7.6 Miranda has an even newer texture

1.7.7 Hypatos has more apparent craters and better texture

1.7.8 Fixed a scaled space issue with Hypatos

1.7.9 Lynx now has a very large crater on the southern hemisphere, and switched to Minmus as a template.

1.8 New Cepheus Textures

1.8.1 Hercules is now a reddish color with larger rings, more noticeable and centered. Titan's color is now deeper.

1.8.2 Miranda scaled space issue resolved

1.8.3 Lynx and Indus now have under-clouds, so the sky isn't just black on the surface.(nevermind this, doesnt work, but there is a fix)

1.8.4 Lynx altitude glitch fixed, no more falling through the ground.

1.8.5 Indus has switched to Minmus as a template, textures are better.

1.9 Indus is finally fixed in terms of it's atmosphere.

1.9.1 Titan has a re-worked cloud system, an now it should show up.

Edited by Yaeah

Please, please , please add a science defines so we get credit when orbiting in space around the planet's & moons, when we're in the atmosphere in them, and when we land on them. It would be very appreciated. If it's possible to do your science defines in a way that doesn't overwrite the master list that would be even better! Thanks!

Edited by jpinard

Well, Not entirely sure how to to that right now, but I will keep you posted! I Will update the link when necessary

This will take me a while...

Ok, Im working on them, this is just a matter of time!

Edited by Yaeah

Good luck with the science defines. Working on them was so tedious that I was afraid my hand would miss the keyboard and end up somewhere else, like a baby seal's face. I recommend at least 5 tabs of funny pictures open while you are attempting that colossal feat.

Could either of you give me a quick overview of editing orbits? I'd like to combine this Porry's and Urania's system with this... but Sido Urania''s orbits are a mess. So basically if I could get just the quickest info on editing the orbital path/distance of one moon, I could fix the rest of it easily I'm sure. Thanks! :)

Sure! SO, each celestial body has its own distinct .cfg file, and to find these files, look here

KSPdirectory/GameData/PlanetFactory/PluginData/PlanetFactory/Urania/[This is where the .cfg files are]

So, inside each .cfg are a set of values such as inclination, eccentricity, LAN, and Semimajoraxis

Semi-Major axis= The average height of the orbit. The higher the number, the Higher the orbit altitude, and lower orbital speed

LAN=where the planet starts in it's orbit, giving you the choice of where you want the eccentricity part to extend out to

Inclination= for example, Kerbin is on practically a 0* inclination, and we see it as a flat orbit. The higher the number, the higher off this flat plane we get

Eccentricity= So, We can use Kerbin as an example again here. It looks like a perfect O circle in it's orbit, and that is a 0.0 eccentricity. The higher this number, say anywhere from 0.1-0.25 is realistic for common large planets, where there is limited variation from the orbital Apogee and Perigee. The higher this number is, Like Sedna, the Dwarf planet, You get an oblong orbit. Mess around with those, and find some orbits you like!

1150px-Sedna_orbit.svg.png

Edited by Yaeah

Sure! SO, each celestial body has its own distinct .cfg file, and to find these files, look here

KSPdirectory/GameData/PlanetFactory/PluginData/PlanetFactory/Urania/[This is where the .cfg files are]

So, inside each .cfg are a set of values such as inclination, eccentricity, LAN, and Semimajoraxis

Semi-Major axis= The average height of the orbit. The higher the number, the Higher the orbit altitude, and lower orbital speed

LAN=where the planet starts in it's orbit, giving you the choice of where you want the eccentricity part to extend out to

Inclination= for example, Kerbin is on practically a 0* inclination, and we see it as a flat orbit. The higher the number, the higher off this flat plane we get

Eccentricity= So, We can use Kerbin as an example again here. It looks like a perfect O circle in it's orbit, and that is a 0.0 eccentricity. The higher this number, say anywhere from 0.1-0.25 is realistic for common large planets, where there is limited variation from the orbital Apogee and Perigee. The higher this number is, Like Sedna, the Dwarf planet, You get an oblong orbit. Mess around with those, and find some orbits you like!

So the Semi-Major axis is how far from the star/planet it is orbiting? Is the orbit speed set automatically based on its orbital period? Is there a setting for how fast each moon/planet rotates?

Your stuff is looking very nice in my game even in its unfinished state. Can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for the help! :)

So the Semi-Major axis is how far from the star/planet it is orbiting? Is the orbit speed set automatically based on its orbital period? Is there a setting for how fast each moon/planet rotates?

Your stuff is looking very nice in my game even in its unfinished state. Can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for the help! :)

You can set the rotational speed inside the .cfg as well, should be called rotation time...?

And initial rotation is where the planet starts initially rotating from, in terms of degrees, don't worry about it too much.

And orbital speed is autonomously calculated by PF.

Thanks, these planets took a while to create :)

Please, please , please add a science defines so we get credit when orbiting in space around the planet's & moons, when we're in the atmosphere in them, and when we land on them. It would be very appreciated. If it's possible to do your science defines in a way that doesn't overwrite the master list that would be even better! Thanks!

Well, although that was tedious just like Poryy said, I have completed a rough draft for the planets, surface samples, seismec scans, is there. The download is on my original post

Do you know what these do?

argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 3
epoch = 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_elements

The argument of periapse determines how far round the orbit the periapse, the mean anomaly at epoch determines where the planet is at a certain time (the epoch) so if the epoch is set to 0 then it's the start position of the planet. I'd guess that these values use radians and vary from 0 to 2pi

So, I've been thinking about rings for a while. Since we currently cannot create rings like the ones found around Sentar, and we have the Clouds mod at our disposal, AND we can change their height and width via textures, we should probably be able to create our own, artificial rings using layers of thin width clouds to simulate rings around any planet:D

It would be very hard to create really defined rings, but we'll see

Edited by Yaeah

Adding rings is proving to be difficult, Ill continue testing, But it seems Sido with his Urania gas giant has already beat me to the proof of concept :)

I will be getting new textures for cepheus, cygnus, and delphinus, So that may be up by the end of tomorrow

New moon Irenaeus added, new textures for Delphinus, Lyra, Cygnus, and Cepheus and another system further away than Titan is in the works. The rings are.....progressing, but I think The final rings will be apparent once Krag has made that available.

Edited by Yaeah

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.