The Kraken Drive is Showing It's Worth

NASAFanboy

I wonder... if I could squeeze some Infernal Robotics parts into a K-drive to move the landing legs to a point where they could be repaired without instantly breaking again? (or is that not a problem anymore? I followed this for a while, but forgot about it until I installed IR, and the idea hit me!)

I don't know if that would be possible. I tried using some IR hinges in a clipped fashion the other night and what they were attached to doesn't move as expected.

I wonder... if I could squeeze some Infernal Robotics parts into a K-drive to move the landing legs to a point where they could be repaired without instantly breaking again? (or is that not a problem anymore? I followed this for a while, but forgot about it until I installed IR, and the idea hit me!)

If you're going to use mods on it, then it would be a lot easier to use the warp drive from kerbal intersteller. :P

I've managed to fling an small probe body, a graviton, two antennas, one small battery and a RTG out of the solar system at around 10c.

But that was more likely a fluke in an rapid unplanned disassembly than an planned drive activation, as the lower body of the probe and the ion thrusters (I was hoping to see what would happen if you put an ion thruster and a k-drive together, and was hoping it would preserve inertia.

Anyways, attempts to repeat to were failures, so it's back to the drawing board for me.

I kinda invoked the Kraken with my attempted K-Drive. Shot out of Kerbin with insane velocity and slammed into Minmus at roughly 24000 m/s. The K-Drive exploded violently on activation. I'm doubting majorly that counts, given that I couldn't replicate it afterward.

I kinda invoked the Kraken with my attempted K-Drive. Shot out of Kerbin with insane velocity and slammed into Minmus at roughly 24000 m/s. The K-Drive exploded violently on activation. I'm doubting majorly that counts, given that I couldn't replicate it afterward.

I wonder what re-entry of Kerbin would look like at 24000 m/s.......

Do you have any screenshots of you're K-Drive?

"...The resulting shockwave leveled 3 whole cities. Officials at KSP are saying that it was just a small mis-calculation, and that it shouldn't happen again any time soon."

Not of that one. Loading the ship either results in the tremendous explosion or the whole thing falls apart into a pile of junk. Plus, when I rebuilt it to the same standards, I couldn't recreate either the tremendous boom or the falling apart, so I'm chalking it up to a construction anomaly. So in other words, I'm still trying desperately to get anywhere with the drives. As for the .craft file, it tends to crash the SPH most of the time. I've been reloading the flight to attempt anything with it, but I'm at the point of moving on and trying new drive strategies.

I know this is a stupid question; but, how does a Kraken Drive work?

About the most I know about it is that by extending landing legs through a structural panel, it generates phantom forces that creates a small amount of forward thrust in atmosphere. What I've heard, though not experienced other than by means of glitches, is that kraken drives are supposed to somewhat 'switch over' to a higher amount of force out of atmosphere.

Someone more knowledgeable should be able to provide more on the subject, this is just what little I know based on rough experiments and youtube videos.

I went through my entire design process not knowing this O_o

But I did manage to make a miniaturized version of a Kraken drive.

http://i.imgur.com/NeZI2Of.jpg

Which I then made into a working engine.

http://i.imgur.com/n9hQ045.jpg

and incorporated into my spaceplane design

http://i.imgur.com/5fwWKfI.jpg

Later, I made a final prototype. The great thing about the engine is that it doesn't break down. It is exceptionally reliable.

http://i.imgur.com/fzBbpPO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XtHQCdq.png

Now it seems, I am going into slightly more dangerous areas of Kraken physics. I've christened this ship Event Horizon.

http://i.imgur.com/uj0ESQ4.jpg

I'll be back with results on this one.

http://i.imgur.com/tWbXo9U.jpg

Could you post one of the craft files for the full ships please?

You posted the craft file for the prototype in the first pic, and I was able to get that to levitate, but I haven't been successful in actually integrating it into anything

Seconded. Please make one if you know how to make a drive

I will when I get around to it...

It is pretty tricky to make, but once you get a basic understanding of what's happening you can make different types of kraken drives.

So far I have made 2 different types.

: >

Here are two videos showing two Kraken Drives that I have finally figured out how to build..

The one with 4 small landing legs is a little problematic due to it failing quite a bit.

The one with 1 large landing leg is pretty reliable.. although it has destroyed one of my SSTO's when I used it in orbit while going slower than 800m/s

About the video's.. because they were recorded at 30 frames per second... when the kraken drive is activated they appear to pulsate pretty slow.. this is due to it being 30fps recording... they are actually pulsating really really fast..

A tip would be use action groups to activate the Kraken Drive...

Another tip would be once you have built you're Kraken Drive, save it as an assembly, this way you can load it and use it on SSTO's~

This third one is the Kraken Drive Failing..

It just kinda goes... bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... stops.. xD

Single Landing Leg Version.

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

Quad Landing Leg Version.

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2nxaqcOgx1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t

Here are two videos showing two Kraken Drives that I have finally figured out how to build..

Love your post. Love the commitment you have for this game.

SUCH GLITCH

VERY EXPLOITED

WOW

Love your post. Love the commitment you have for this game.

SUCH GLITCH

VERY EXPLOITED

WOW

Haha~

These are just what I've figured out how to make from looking at other players designs... There are other players that have made much better designs than me xD

Continuing with trying to make a better Kraken Drive.. and also trying make two kraken drives positioned side by side to pulsate at the same time.

I was having troubles with having two side by side, it was like they were putting out different thrust when in orbit and it was making my SSTO spin and in turn making the drives break.

So I have made a new drive using 2 medium size landing legs instead of 4... this time I made the drive in the aircraft hanger, not the rocket building... I like how the camera works in the aircraft hanger *__*

The two first screenshots are with gravity turned off, just testing the drives to see if they pulsate at the same time... Which they finally do~ I just hope they stay like that in orbit 9__9

And then a whole bunch of screenshots of the insides.

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2s7nwIdPZ1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.