[0.17] ExPI: Space Stations [0.4], Interplanetary Probes [0.1.2]

Pelf

I noticed that there are RCS thrusters but no tanks for RCS fuel. Maybe the Pressurized storage module would make a good RCS fuel tank. Any thoughts?

I was going to keep the storage module empty for when Squad implements cargo and such. I was thinking of making some externally mounted tanks but I\'m not entirely sure.

I know the truss pack has some side-mount storage compartments. Will we be seeing something like those soon in Extraplanetary Infrastructure?

Also can we get an update on the ULS rocket?

Well today was my last day of school so now that I\'m on summer break I should be able to work on my parts a lot more. I\'ll see about making up some side mounted RCS tanks soon. Regarding the ULS, I haven\'t done anything on it really. I\'ve been caught up with school and an unannounced KSP related project.

Sorry, my question made sence to me.. I found in the Kosmos there is a very tiny ASAS that worked well for me.

I originally thought the storage module was an RCS tank as well.. Perhaps you could create 2 service modules one that is full of hot air for RCS and another empty for future storage/ cargo?

Again thanks for all your work on this, its great

Steve

RCS propellants could be compressed nitrogen (such as on the Pegasus rocket), Hydrazine, or a hydrazine derivative (Monomethylhydrazine, Unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine). Those last two are used in bipropellant engines/RCS and generally use Dinitrogen Tetroxide as the oxidizer.

I could make another storage module for RCS. I\'ll look into it.

Can I just say people, the specifics of what is inside an RCS tank I think is irrelevant to KSP..... its some kind of simulated gas that shoots out nozzles.

I also noticed after then removal of the nodes many of the models are spheres. When attaching parts they want to move all over it like a ball shape instead of cylinder. Is that a byproduct of node removal?

I was going to keep the storage module empty for when Squad implements cargo and such. I was thinking of making some externally mounted tanks but I\'m not entirely sure.

They already implemented multiple fuel types. I don\'t think that they will make cargo without par modules, so you should be able to have it be both.

I also noticed after then removal of the nodes many of the models are spheres. When attaching parts they want to move all over it like a ball shape instead of cylinder. Is that a byproduct of node removal?

Is the module on its side? If so, build it upright and then move in into a horizontal position. It\'s a side effect of node removal.

They already implemented multiple fuel types. I don\'t think that they will make cargo without par modules, so you should be able to have it be both.

I\'ll look into it.

Can I just say people, the specifics of what is inside an RCS tank I think is irrelevant to KSP.

Course it isn\'t. When you make a part, you have to give the game a model with dimensions and a mass. What should the mass be? Well, you compute it based on the model\'s volume and the density. But what should the density be? That depends on the part\'s composition.

Compressed nitrogen is way less dense than MMH, so a compressed nitrogen tank should be much lighter. But on the other hand, the specific impulse of MMH is much higher, so a thruster that runs on MMH should put out more thrust for the same fuel mass flow, or else consume less fuel for the same thrust.

Of course this stuff matters. The numbers we have to put in part.cfg aren\'t just made up — or rather, they shouldn\'t be. For the game to work properly and make sense, the numbers have to be derived from common constants, like densities and specific impulses and such. These can either be pure real-world values, or they can be scaled for the Kerboverse, but they have to be consistent. Otherwise parts don\'t work right together.

Did I say oxidized helium? I meant to say oxidized Nitrogen, more specifically Nitrogen tetroxide, or N2O4, which is used on the space shuttle OMS/RCS systems. Anyway I have to agree with Steve that what specifically is in the RCS tank is irrevelent

Ha Pelf, I dont mind either :) Just calculating whats in stuff in KSP, I just base it on what came with the game volume x qty x weight etc... scale it up...

Also again ty heaps for telling me to rotate the pieces, although sometimes is a wee pain it has saved me heaps of headaches. I can actually get stuff attached properley!

i see that their are docking points... but do they dock? that is the question! ;P

I tried to make them dock, but docking was pushed from .15, and the DockingPort part type included in there seems to be unfinished. It just doesn\'t dock if you tell it to.

I\'m sorry if this question is dumb :P. Is there a way to attach parts of the space stations separately? Like the real iss. Like you fly up, release a module. Fly up again with, say, a module. Could you attach said module to the original module? I want to know because I find it hard to launch entire space stations at one time. Almost impossible. I can never get a premade station into orbit because I can\'t get enough rocket power to launch it :P.