[Showcase] show of your space pictures!!

panzerknoef

Since I love gazing the skies with my telescope, And sometimes try my best at taking pictures. I would like to show them to the public! It's only moob shots for now, taken with my phone through my telescope.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

That last picture is actually the side of the moon that wasn't lit, that's why it is so blurry and darkish

And now I wonder, do any of you do the same as I, and if yes would you like to show off your galactic pictures??

Edited by panzerknoef

Oh wow, I've never seen the dark side before now. Thank you.

I also do some amateur astronomy when I have free time, but I don't have a camera that could take pictures very well at all... I just recently got some great lenses and I'm looking to observe other planets, too; I've only managed the Moon, Saturn (the rings are soooo beautiful), and one very blurry Jupiter. :cool:

I too am currently reduced to holding my digital camera up to the eyepiece of my telescope, but that hasn't stopped me. The only pictures I've taken are of the Moon and Jupiter, and the best two I've managed so far are these:

Ki9vw5Z.jpg

csb5zVd.jpg

I've yet to see Saturn and Mars, and Venus taunts me by hiding behind some trees. Unfortunately, I also live in an area with fairly light-polluted skies. I've spotted the Orion Nebula, but it's too dim to take a picture of, which is annoying. Thankfully, the Moon and Jupiter are astoundingly clear through my telescope :)

It occurs to me that I should really try to get a picture of the Pleiades and Betelgeuse. I can't see the nebulosity of the Pleiades, but even without, they're a beautiful cluster of stars. As for Betelgeuse... IT'S SO YELLOW!

Ok, I have tasks for the next clear night :P

Howdy all...I do some photography. My obsession is astrophotography, but since I live in Cleveland clear skies is a rarity. I also shoot some decay, and landscape but really hooking my DSLR to my Orion Starmax 127 (now known as APEX) is my love.

Hope this link works:

20130422_WaxGibMoon_Scope.jpg

A few of the best of many that I've taken over the past few weeks. Getting an adaptor for my DSLR soon, so hopefully I'll be able to take even better ones.

Half Moon: (not a patch on Jasel's though...)

4AWKfbr.jpg

Venus:

O4F1UfX.jpg

The Milky Way over Namibia:

12463890263_47b146fca8.jpg

The Milky Way one was taken in a national park in Namibia, so I had amazingly dark skies. My first proper attempt to capture the Milky Way.

The other two were taken in England with an iPod Touch held up to a 4 1/2" reflector.

Edited by GJames
Wow, Flickr is difficult to post photos from...

I don't have a telescope, so in this case, I just slapped a 1.4x teleconverter on my 70-200 lens. 100% crop.

43177350_cf8c763894.jpg

Here was my poor attempt get some video on my SLR of the transit of Venus a couple of years ago. Wish I had a solar filter.

Not exactly space, but I do have some video of the Space Shuttle Endeavour when they flew it into Los Angeles.

Getting an adaptor for my DSLR soon, so hopefully I'll be able to take even better ones.

Half Moon: (not a patch on Jasel's though...)

Thanks! Things get tricky when attaching the DSLR so if you need any help let me know. If your scope doesn't have goto you might want to take a bunch of shots and stacking them with software. You've got great detail in your shot so I bet you can get some awesome images!

Here was my poor attempt get some video on my SLR of the transit of Venus a couple of years ago. Wish I had a solar filter.

You should make your own. It's a little cheaper. I bought a sheet of baader solar safety film and was able to make a filter for my DSLR and scope from the same sheet.

Here is the result from my scope:

20130604_Sun_70.jpg

Taken on 20130604, this is the best of 70 images stacked of 400 taken. Noticeable sunspots are 1764 and 1762, with 1763 in between them.

The top and bottom got cut off because I need a focal reducer (which sadly is not available for my scope) and I don't have a drive, so this was a hand guided attempt.

Orion Starmax 127

Canon T3i

My solar filter LOL:

2013_04_02_4617_800.JPG

2013_04_02_4618_800.JPG

Here's a picture of the moon I took today, I am pretty proud of.

IMG_4609.jpg

Now. I know what you are thinking. You are thinking "uh. ok. A bit crap". But the reason I am proud of it, is because it was done with a 2011 smartphone (iphone 4s), with no lens attachment whatsoever. If you have tried to photograph the moon with a smartphone, you'd know that this is not exactly easy! :P

The way it was done, is that I first had to lock exposure to a lit LED light right in front of the camera to force it not to let so much light in, and then do the focus and moon shot separately.

Left to its own devices it always over-exposes the moon resulting in a way-too-bright smudge, as opposed to this, almost features discerning, grey smudge!

i'd love to make some pics of my own, i live far away from any city and not much lights are here.

When there are no clouds the moon is so bright it lights up my entire yard like its daytime, i can always see thousands of stars here.

But i only have a crap samsung digitale camera and a 4x scope from my air rifle :D

I had the opportunity to use a nice telescope - forgot the specs for it though - for a school "Star/Jupiter Party." I was actually the one that got the telescopes aligned with Jupiter and I have zero experience! Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures but it was really sweet. I saw Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, and some other un-identified moon. :)

Oh....amazing..What telescope :0.0:

i'd love to make some pics of my own, i live far away from any city and not much lights are here.

When there are no clouds the moon is so bright it lights up my entire yard like its daytime, i can always see thousands of stars here.

But i only have a crap samsung digitale camera and a 4x scope from my air rifle :D

Ventura has so much light pollution from the darn auto center. They run those lights 24/7 except in the day. Not talking about spotlights, but the lights that illuminate the entire complex. There's BILLIONS of those lights, and you can always see this soft glow emanating from that area even from 5 miles away. You have to get 30 or so miles up into Ojai to see some awesome skies, but even then the Milky Way is barley visible. The best skies I've ever seen were in Santa Cruz island and Yosemite's Tuolumne Meadows.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.