Kerbal Construction Time/StageRecovery Dev Thread

magico13

I think i found it, DR+ kerbal joint reenforcement = KABOOM, did a clean install with those 2 mods only. Separetely it works fine, but together it's exploding everything. not sure if size matters, i only tested high part count crafts (try stock kerbal-x or how is it called) It explodes right after 'stabilizing physycs load' if it helps somehow, if you want i can post debug logs later.

edit: KJR description now looks ironic :D

• All parts and joints are strengthened heavily during physics loading (coming off of rails) to prevent Kraken attacks on ships

Edited by mouzfun

I may be able to get around it by doing the move in the Start() instead of after the persistence is loaded, but I won't get a chance to do that until later in the week. For now you may need to remove KJR if you want to use simulations in orbit.

New version released, PR 7.2. It could also be considered Release Candidate 1 (RC1). This version is released for bug testing, and assuming that goes well, the next release will be the official version 1.0! Little to nothing should change between this and 1.0, so now would be a great time to start work on mod spotlights or similar things if you were planning on doing that (basically, record footage now but you can wait until release day to release it, kind of like what YouTubers on the experimental team do for new updates of KSP).

New feature: Launchpad reconditioning. Enabled by default and can be disabled per savegame. When launching a rocket from the Launch Pad (but not the runway) you cannot launch another one until reconditioning is complete. By default, with totally default settings, it takes 24 hours per 25 tons of rocket (at a total VAB build rate of 1 BP/s). The rate is also affected by the Overall Multiplier in the Time Settings and the time per ton can be modified in the Time Settings. As you upgrade the VAB, the amount of time that reconditioning takes decreases. Instead of relying on only one build rate, however, all the build rates are combined to determine the total build rate.

Example 1: You have one VAB rate at 1.5 BP/s. The rate that reconditioning occurs is then 1.5 BP/s.

Example 2: You have two VAB rates, one at 1.5 BP/s and the other at 0.5 BP/s. The total reconditioning rate is then 2.0 BP/s.

Example 3: You have 4 rates at 0.2 BP/s. The total rate is thus 0.8 BP/s.

Additional changes:

Crew Selection GUI has several new upgrades (randomized crew filling, auto-hire, and now displays a default crew)

Vessel cost (thus, complexity) is now a factor in how much a simulation costs. Less than 25k funds will reduce the cost, more than 25k funds will make it cost more.

Several bug fixes.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Let me know if you've got any questions/comments/concerns!

I seem unable to recover an aircraft from the runway after updating to version 7.2

But you could before, no problem? In a simple test I wasn't seeing any issue in sandbox or career mode. All I was doing was building a small ship, launching it, then recovering it immediately. Anyone else seeing related problems? Can you get me you output_log.txt file from the KSP_Data directory? (or KSP_x64_Data if using 64 bit)

Edit: Though I did just realize that things launched from the runway will probably cause launchpad reconditioning to take place...

Edited by magico13

But you could before, no problem? In a simple test I wasn't seeing any issue in sandbox or career mode. All I was doing was building a small ship, launching it, then recovering it immediately. Anyone else seeing related problems? Can you get me you output_log.txt file from the KSP_Data directory? (or KSP_x64_Data if using 64 bit)

Edit: Though I did just realize that things launched from the runway will probably cause launchpad reconditioning to take place...

Here's what happens:

1) - Build a plane in career mode

2) - Launch it

3) - try to recover

4) - I return to the space centre with the recovery window, but all I see is that the pilot has been recovered.

5) - Click on the runway and i get asked if I would like to fly the ship their, recover it and launch a new one, or abort launch. click on fly ship already there.

6) - takes me back to the plane and I get the simulation window saying this is a simulation, start building plane, edit etc.

I have uploaded my log file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByopNDhXUXrFUTNyNGpfSVZIQzA/edit?usp=sharing

Did you by chance have a contract started from Tarsier Space Tech? Something about a telescope. What happens if you don't have that contract active? I see an error with that when recovering a ship called Big Boy being flown by Jeb.

Edit: 0.7.2.1 just fixes reconditioning being caused by runway items and default crews not being assigned when launching ships when there is already one on the pad/runway.

Edited by magico13

@erbmur Two part question: 1)Do you have Treeloader installed? 2)Do you have a modified tech tree?

@magico13 I found out your mod wasn't causing those issues I pointed out earlier in this thread. It was all on treeloader. It's also a pain in the ass to get the game to actually recover the flight with a modified tech tree (in my case using Ackander's Vertical Tech Tree).

- - - Updated - - -

@erbmur Two part question: 1)Do you have Treeloader installed? 2)Do you have a modified tech tree?

@magico13 I found out your mod wasn't causing those issues I pointed out earlier in this thread. It was all on treeloader. It's also a pain in the ass to get the game to actually recover the flight with a modified tech tree (in my case using Ackander's Vertical Tech Tree).

Ooh, the update checker gave me a download link. Nice.

The KSP-AVC update checker? Yeah, I have it setup to go to the forum page when you click the "Download" button. Cybutek did a good job with that addon. I considered a direct download, but this is probably safer and you can check the latest posts for the biggest changes.

Did you by chance have a contract started from Tarsier Space Tech? Something about a telescope. What happens if you don't have that contract active? I see an error with that when recovering a ship called Big Boy being flown by Jeb.

Edit: 0.7.2.1 just fixes reconditioning being caused by runway items and default crews not being assigned when launching ships when there is already one on the pad/runway.

...Strange, I just installed Tarsier, but I don't have any contracts active by them nor have I even been offered a contract by them. I'll remove the mod and see what happens.

Yes and yes. But I was using it prior to the update and recovery was working just fine.

@erbmur Unofficial update (recompiled DLL someone posted)? Or the latest "official"? If the official version you've been rather lucky. If unofficial I haven't the faintest (installed it myself and had randomm locked nodes available to be unlocked).

Basically the further you get in a modified tech tree the more likely it is that you'll run into problems with recovery (if using something basic like KSP Interstellar's tree you won't notice much difference; if using something more dramatic like the Engineering Discipline / Ackander's / Realistic Progression Lite you'll quickly run into issues with recovery with the exact same symptoms you're exhibiting.)

@Shad0wCatcher & @magico13 Removing the Tarsier mod seems to have fixed the issue.

@Shad0wCatcher I'm just using the normal one, don't think it's an unofficial patched one. I'm using the engineering based techtree, it has a rather large number of nodes but haven'r run into any issues with it.

@erbmur Good deal having yours fixed so easily! That's one more mod on my "blacklist" then. Lucky jerk! Haha! Yea if you snagged your copy from any of the official sources (not one of the forum posts near the end of Treeloader's thread) you'd have the official copy.

Here is what is being reported as the error, by the way. It looks like Shad0wCatcher's idea that it's related to the tech tree makes sense. I know I saw something about parts being in multiple nodes. If I can find that I'll include it as well. Maybe fixing those parts will cause everything to work properly.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ResearchAndDevelopment.partTechAvailable (.AvailablePart ap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.PartTechAvailable (.AvailablePart ap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at TarsierSpaceTech.TSTTelescopeContract.MeetRequirements () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 seed, State state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (Int32 seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Type contractType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[VesselRecovery]: Big Boy recovered At Runway. Recovery Value: 100.0%

Crewmember Jebediah Kerman is available again

Added 24.99515 (25) reputation: 'Jebediah Kerman was recovered!'.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ResearchAndDevelopment.partTechAvailable (.AvailablePart ap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.PartTechAvailable (.AvailablePart ap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at TarsierSpaceTech.TSTTelescopeContract.MeetRequirements () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 seed, State state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (Int32 seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Type contractType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Contracts.ContractSystem.OnReputationChanged (Single newRep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[System.Single].Fire (Single data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Reputation.AddReputation (Single r, System.String reason) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Reputation.onvesselRecoveryProcessing (.ProtoVessel pv, .MissionRecoveryDialog mrDialog, Single recoveryScore) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`3[ProtoVessel,MissionRecoveryDialog,System.Single].Fire (.ProtoVessel data0, .MissionRecoveryDialog data1, Single data2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselRecovery.OnVesselRecovered (.ProtoVessel pv) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[ProtoVessel].Fire (.ProtoVessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselRetrieval.recoverVessel (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselRetrieval.recoverVessels () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselRetrieval+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Flight State Captured

[ProtoCrewMember Warning]: Crewmember Jebediah Kerman found inside a part but status is set as missing. Vessel must have failed to save earlier. Restoring assigned status.

TreeLoader version 1.1.5 loading parts...

TreeLoader: Part in multiple nodes:orbitaiespod - advExploration, spaceExploration

TreeLoader: Part in multiple nodes:Thermometermt1 - experimentalAerodynamics, spaceExploration

TreeLoader: Part in multiple nodes:PAPBarometer - advExploration, scienceTech

Shad0wCatcher, if you're still having problems I can take a look at your logs and help you out, even though it's not a KCT problem. If it's just a matter of fixing some parts that are in multiple nodes, the parts are pretty easy to find in the log (look at the beginning of the "Scene Change: From MAINMENU to SPACECENTER". Search that with notepad, it will be the first result from the top)

Edited by magico13

Version 7.2.1 seems to be disallowing simulations unless you can afford to buy two of the rocket you want to simulate. Is this intentional?

Definitely not. I will look into it and report back when I've figured it out.

Edit: Testing seems to confirm that, but I can't seem to figure out why yet.

Edit2: The function for getting the ship cost appears to be putting out twice what it should be. I wonder if it's also charging twice as much to build them.

Edit3: Found the source of the problem. You can't use the same variable in the out for the dry costs and fuel costs. Just made a second variable and it should work now.

Edit4: Uploaded fixed version. Simulations should also cost half as much now I believe.

Edited by magico13

okay some weird issues with the new version. i wish I could be more specific or had some hard data to back this up. After removing the old folder and replacing it, and loading my career game, suddenly i was having non-stop camera issues (lock-up, unable to click buildings at the Space Center). Also once in the VAB, instead of a view of the launchpad, I got a view of the top of a series of buildings, creeping into the VAB itself, Inception-style. Also, a few times after simulations or flights, the camera would get stuck somewhere inside Kerbin. Now I run many mods but these problems appeared only after updating, and I had to roll back to the previous version, and they all went away. I know this is not very helpful and I have a feeling it's interacting with some other mod, but so far I have been running 30+ mods together with no issues besides an occassional camera lock up that can be fixed by switching views (camera locks at space center). Wondering if this weird series of graphics and camera problems have been experienced by anyone else.

I'm sorry about all the hotfixes lately. Unfortunately they each keep fixing one thing at a time, but I don't want to make the fixes wait. 0.7.2.3 just fixes an issue with checking resource mass when the resource reference is null. It may be the fix to autumnalequinox's problem and appears to fix an issue someone else reported through a PM. Hopefully no more hotfixes are needed. I'm going to try to get the official version 1.0 out next week, but I want to clean up the code a bit first (remove old commented out stuff, add comments to explain everything, and minimize debug messages). I should do a major refactoring later on to update some areas to use better code than the hacked together things that I have.

Edit: If the update notifier is notifying you of an update but you're at the latest version, redownload. I may have forgotten to put the new version into the zip...

Edited by magico13

Could you take a look at the simulator stuff sometime? It's been kind of Kraken-y for me and it was throwing me off. Specifically I put a 1-2 Command Pod in orbit with the XL parachute (enhanced with real chutes) and a DRE heatshield, a fuel tank and an engine. I burned to deorbit, rode the flames down, popped the chute, floated down nice and easy, 6km/h and Boom. Or Sploosh. Land or water, the pod would explode or sink.

- - - Updated - - -

autumnal, I saw that once, but a restart fixed it. I've got a crapton of mods as well.

Could you take a look at the simulator stuff sometime? It's been kind of Kraken-y for me and it was throwing me off.

This sounds like the same thing that was reported a few versions back (and is mentioned in the Known Issues). Unfortunately I don't believe anyone with the issue ever gave me a log to look over, or a consistent way of reproducing it, so I've never been able to debug it. Just looking at the code I haven't been able to find anything that could cause it directly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.