[0.25] Time Control - 9/23/14 v13.2

Xaiier

OK, so haven't managed to dig up any details of my old install, but I'll rifle through my email (I seem to recall some correspondence at the time that might help).

In the meantime, I think I've managed to recreate the issue.

So: Base install of 0.24.2, Windows, running 32-bit for now. Two mods installed: Time Control and Toolbar.

Set top warp rate to 1,000,000, leave others. Set altitude limits to 100km from warp rate 5 up.

Get little ship to 120km/120km orbit. Ramp up to maximum warp (relatively quick steps, using keyboard). Let it run a few seconds. Drop to 5x (mouse click). Wait 3-ish seconds. Drop to 1x. Boom

Here's the output log:

http://www./view/axrkcpr5cu0r9qe/output_log.txt

Also, saw the ferram4 chat; "bull without a video". Fair point :) Here's a video:

http://www./watch/gbfe82e9168e8jh/KSP_2014-08-16_01-04-33-683.avi

Admittedly, this doesn't necessarily eliminate the possibility that it's bull (I remain fully prepared to learn that I am doing something insanely stupid).

I'll run some more tests next week (slower time warp changes, even longer wait at 5x, etc). Admittedly this was a pretty aggressive run with only a 3 second wait, just wanted to make sure I could recreate the issue before I got too deep in.

[EDIT] In case it matters, the ship got to orbit the old-fashioned way (I saw earlier in the thread that there were some concerns that HyperEdit could cause issues, and I suppose savefile editing could too, then. So, launched on top of a rocket). That being said, I did use a tiny bit of 4x physical timewarp on my way up to 10km. Long before the "experiment", but if you think it may be a variable, I can eliminate that next time I'm in.

Thanks for this. It matches the results I have been getting, though it does seem to happen more often for some. I was going to say some other stuff but...

I FOUND WHAT WAS CAUSING THE RANDOM EXPLOSIONS AND HAVE A POSSIBLE FIX IN PLACE!

Turns out, oddly enough, the PQSCity objects(for non-modders-these are anything on the surface of a planet, like KSC, easter eggs, etc) seem to be bugging out and actually colliding with your ship in orbit. I don't know why, and I don't really care why, but initial testing of simply disabling them during timewarps has resulted in 0 explosions over hundreds of warps at high levels. It looks very promising, but like a lot of things that I'm currently working on, it has some bugs that need to be sorted out before I can release. Now that this is solved though, it shouldn't be long before I can release a stable version and provide everyone a slightly less explodey kerbal space program.

Edited by Xaiier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a strange bug. At certain times, the buildings in the KSC overview become unresponsive. I can still move the camera around and interact with GUI items normally, but moving the mouse over KSC buildings doesn't highlight them and clicking on them does nothing. The single exception to this is the flagpole.

My modlist is large, so this might be caused by a conflict with some other mod (and took me ages to pin down) but adding or removing TimeControl to the installation "enables"/removes the bug. I can reliably replicate it by doing the following steps:

• start KSP
  • load or create a save
  • go to the VAB
  • choose the RC-L01 or another probe core
  • launch
  • use HyperEdit to teleport into Eve orbit
  • use HyperEdit to land on Eve (will result in explosion if DeadlyReentry is installed, doesn't matter)
  • revert back to the VAB
  • leave VAB

Some of these steps might be unnecessary or more specific than they need to be; for example, I've also encountered the bug without using HyperEdit and without going to Eve. But this is a fast and reliable way I found to replicate it. Im playing on 32bit KSP under Windows. I've used TimeControl for a while and I think this bug only started happening recently; possibly since 0.24.2 or since the newest version of the mod.

Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

I'm getting a strange bug. At certain times, the buildings in the KSC overview become unresponsive. I can still move the camera around and interact with GUI items normally, but moving the mouse over KSC buildings doesn't highlight them and clicking on them does nothing. The single exception to this is the flagpole.

My modlist is large, so this might be caused by a conflict with some other mod (and took me ages to pin down) but adding or removing TimeControl to the installation "enables"/removes the bug. I can reliably replicate it by doing the following steps:

• start KSP
  • load or create a save
  • go to the VAB
  • choose the RC-L01 or another probe core
  • launch
  • use HyperEdit to teleport into Eve orbit
  • use HyperEdit to land on Eve (will result in explosion if DeadlyReentry is installed, doesn't matter)
  • revert back to the VAB
  • leave VAB

Some of these steps might be unnecessary or more specific than they need to be; for example, I've also encountered the bug without using HyperEdit and without going to Eve. But this is a fast and reliable way I found to replicate it. Im playing on 32bit KSP under Windows. I've used TimeControl for a while and I think this bug only started happening recently; possibly since 0.24.2 or since the newest version of the mod.

Hmm, its possible that something is going wrong with the code that prevents click-through on the window. The same mechanism is used in a number of other mods as well. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Confirmed that this happens after the steps, looking into it.

Edited by Xaiier

I also have a bug to report, time control litterally makes my KSC dissapear. I didn't bother taking a picture of it myself but I did find someone else with the same issue that has the same picture I would take.

hjdmBr7.jpg

I also posted my KSP log (couldn't post an output_log or anything as my game didn't crash, sorry!) on pastebin. HERE is the link. I hope you fix this soon as I HATE warping at 50x at low altitudes!

Also I managed to recreate this nearly stock. All I had in my Gamedata was ModuleManager.2.3.5, KSPAPIExtensions (latest), Squad, NASAMission, and TimeControl. I'll take a look and see what happens if I remove those two.

EDIT: Yeah, it's entirely stock now and the bug persists. Looks like it's a problem on your end. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Edited by StormWolf
more info

I also have a bug to report, time control litterally makes my KSC dissapear. I didn't bother taking a picture of it myself but I did find someone else with the same issue that has the same picture I would take.

http://i.imgur.com/hjdmBr7.jpg

I also posted my KSP log (couldn't post an output_log or anything as my game didn't crash, sorry!) on pastebin. HERE is the link. I hope you fix this soon as I HATE warping at 50x at low altitudes!

Also I managed to recreate this nearly stock. All I had in my Gamedata was ModuleManager.2.3.5, KSPAPIExtensions (latest), Squad, NASAMission, and TimeControl. I'll take a look and see what happens if I remove those two.

EDIT: Yeah, it's entirely stock now and the bug persists. Looks like it's a problem on your end. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Hmm, the log doesn't point to anything breaking. Can you detail what steps you take to get this to happen?

Also, the output_log.txt is in KSP_Data, and it is always made as the game runs, not just on crashes.

Can also confirm the Space Center screen strangeness; occurring on the 64-bit Linux build of version 0.25. Only mods installed are HyperEdit and Time Control. Noticed that - for me - it only happens when moving to a different SoI (so, for example, getting to Kerbin orbit is fine, but going on to Münar or Minmus orbit results in things locked up when I return to the KSC). Also, flying a craft that's already in a non-Kerbinar orbit doesn't cause problems; it's just the change in orbit. Input locks are all normal as far as I can tell when this happens, at least according to the debug window. Removing Time Control causes the issue to go away (though at the expense of the smexy slo-mo I downloaded it for :( ).

Worth noting is that, for some bizarre reason, the Flagpole can be highlighted with the mouse, selected, interacted with, etc.; yet, literally everything else (other than the Time Control window and the various toolbar/exit buttons) cannot. Also, while usually this only results in abnormal control lockups, I've occasionally seen the KSC disappear entirely (like what's happening to StormWolf).

Steps to reproduce:

• Launch any spacecraft
  • Get spacecraft to Kerbinar orbit (I used HyperEdit for this to save time, but this also occurs via normal launches)
  • Get spacecraft to any other SoI (tested Mün and Minmus; haven't tested Kerbin escape (Kerbol SoI) yet).
  • Return to Space Center
  • ???
  • Profit (not)

Pastebin of Player.log while performing those exact steps exclusively: http://pastebin.com/ruuPJPr3

Would be happy to perform further testing, provide further info, etc. as necessary/desired.

Edit: Oh, and if it matters/helps, I noticed similar symptoms with Time Control installed in 0.24.2, though I hadn't isolated it at the time.

Edited by YellowApple
oh

snip

Hmm, your mention of SOI changes gave me an idea:

Kragrathea graciously provided me some code to deal with weird physics collisions on SOI change, disabling colliders and such, and its possible I'm mishandling it and that is resulting in the bug that I have confirmed of the KSC becoming unresponsive. This would satisfactorily explain the unresponsive KSC, but I'm still not sure about the whole KSC dissapearing thing. I suppose it could be a side effect as well, but I've as of yet been unable to reproduce it.

Thanks for your descriptive and helpful bug report, I'll try to figure out what is going on and get a fix out ASAP.

I wish I could create epic, super useful plugins like this. I would help literally any and every mod developer that's having compatibility issues. Either way, I'm still seriously grateful you made this. I CANNOT survive interplanetary transfers without this. Even going to Eve was long as hell..

• 3 weeks later...
I wish I could create epic, super useful plugins like this. I would help literally any and every mod developer that's having compatibility issues. Either way, I'm still seriously grateful you made this. I CANNOT survive interplanetary transfers without this. Even going to Eve was long as hell..

Oh, you poor thing..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... wee bit of a bug to report. On a clean (except for DDSLoader and PartCatalog) install of KSP (0.25, x32, on Windows 8.1 x64), TimeControl will result in either 1) mouse input lock - can't click on any KSP buildings, but can click on other stuff, or 2) a black screen, or 3) a weird half-black, half-horizon looking screen when returning (not reverting) to the KSC after visiting another body, like the Mun for example. It may be the case that you actually have to USE TimeControl - not sure on that one, I tended to do so to speed things up for testing.

Reliably reproducible by moving TimeControl in and out of the GameData directory.

Steps:

1) Install TimeControl

2) Make ship

3) Fly ship to moon, then fly it in to moon

4) Return to the space center after Jeb's inglorious death

5) Be sad

Log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_logTimeControl.txt

Log of exact same install, almost identical procedure (same ship, same parts, same deadly crash), only difference being having removed TimeControl directory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_logWITHOUTtimecontrol.txt

Any chance for a relatively easy fix to the borking of the altimeter? I love the mod, but when accelerating stuff in-atmosphere, other mods (like pilot assistant) die when the altimeter dies. =(

I was under the impression that the altimeter issue was due to the animation of it only, and not actually reflective of the true altimeter being messed up. Is that what you mean?

So... wee bit of a bug to report. On a clean (except for DDSLoader and PartCatalog) install of KSP (0.25, x32, on Windows 8.1 x64), TimeControl will result in either 1) mouse input lock - can't click on any KSP buildings, but can click on other stuff, or 2) a black screen, or 3) a weird half-black, half-horizon looking screen when returning (not reverting) to the KSC after visiting another body, like the Mun for example. It may be the case that you actually have to USE TimeControl - not sure on that one, I tended to do so to speed things up for testing.

Reliably reproducible by moving TimeControl in and out of the GameData directory.

Steps:

1) Install TimeControl

2) Make ship

3) Fly ship to moon, then fly it in to moon

4) Return to the space center after Jeb's inglorious death

5) Be sad

Log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_logTimeControl.txt

Log of exact same install, almost identical procedure (same ship, same parts, same deadly crash), only difference being having removed TimeControl directory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_logWITHOUTtimecontrol.txt

Yes, thanks for the detailed report! If you look a couple posts back, you can see that this is a reported and known issue.

I've got two more days of finals and then I'll be free to work on this again and fix some bugs. Sorry for not being able to do anything sooner!

I don't think I've ever mentioned how awesome this mod is for video recording... IT'S AWESOME!!!! You can literally record everything at half speed (And physics) and speed it up in post production to save frame rate or increase part count! Awesome!

I was under the impression that the altimeter issue was due to the animation of it only, and not actually reflective of the true altimeter being messed up. Is that what you mean?

Yes, thanks for the detailed report! If you look a couple posts back, you can see that this is a reported and known issue.

I've got two more days of finals and then I'll be free to work on this again and fix some bugs. Sorry for not being able to do anything sooner!

Welp, I'm a blind idiot. Hah. I was just so pleased to have found the source of my dead KSC without having gone through EVERY mod in the folder. Anyway, with regard to the altimeter, it was an issue specifically for Pilot Assistant - which has (apparently) since changed to using vectors rather than the altimeter to control planes and such, so it may be a completely moot point - but at least that mod would basically send your plane into a death spiral as soon as TimeControl borked the altimeter. But, too, it might have just been PilotAssistant causing those problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.