[0.23] Stockalike parts for useful esthetics

TurboNisu

Here's a small pack of parts that I feel this game still needs.

I've always been bothered by having to use those adapters that don't do anything, attaching girders just anywhere and having to stick landing legs in uncomfortable places.

So this is what I've got done so far to help make a bit prettier ships.

kspmodpartspreview_by_turbopastry-d76are4.jpg

Updated!

kspupdate102_by_turbopastry-d7787s8.jpg

-All parts are integrated into the stock tech-tree

-Adapters work like regular fuel tanks

Download: https://www./?et4ctfdh592a6sn

v1.02

-New parts:

Triangular Structural Plate

3 adapter pieces for light weight truss

RCS fuel tank cap

-Texture improvements

-Minor improvements to models

v 1.01 update: some grammar fixes in the part descriptions, thanks to a__gun!

"TurboNisu aesthetic parts pack" by TurboNisu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Edited by TurboNisu

Interesting!

But you may want to post that pic using the "Insert Image" button or the kspmodpartspreview_by_turbopastry-d76are4.jpg

Also, you may want to think of a better title. "Aesthetics" has an "a" at the start, and anyway it doesn't quite describe what you have here. Please don't take that as criticism, I'm just trying to help. I think there's a lot of potential here! Those parts look great!

Just checked the parts in-game and they look stunning! The textures match the stock parts perfectly, and those parts fill some very useful niches. I see myself using those hemispherical tanks a lot from now on! Sure, there were parts like those around, but they didn't mach the stock style so well.

In short, I definitely recommend this mod for anyone looking for stock-like parts.

TurboNisu, do you have plans for more parts?

I'm digging those girders! I've always wanted more girder types. And Tangerine is perfect with the ROUND-8! Now, if I can only find a way to make telescoping trusses..

Edited by Piamette
Added Tangerine comment.

These parts look really nice! I'm looking forward to trying them out when I get home... I especially like the different girder shapes as I've always thought the stock ones look ugly and it's tough to build something that is both functional and good looking with them.

Are these items integrated into the tech tree yet? Also, the two size adapters under propulsion mention 'fuel capabilities', does this mean they have crossfeed abilities or actually store fuel themselves?

Thank you for your work in creating these!

Are these items integrated into the tech tree yet? Also, the two size adapters under propulsion mention 'fuel capabilities', does this mean they have crossfeed abilities or actually store fuel themselves?

Yes to all those questions!

Wow perfect stock-alike. Just a few comments:

The T shape girder piece doesn't conform to the height of the stock ones as you can see here:

dR0rFND.png

It would be great to get a version of the TP-250 (The 2.5m to 0.625m half sphere tank) which has a 1.25m top.

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the encouraging comments, I do have some more ideas for additional parts, like science bits that would look a bit more interesting.

I'll try to update the OP soon to make it a bit clearer and answer some questions there.

The T-shaped girder is a bit tricky because on one hand, it's too short compared to stock but on the other if I make it longer it doesn't fitnwith the other adapter girders. As for the TP-250, I purposefully designed it so that the attachment node is deep enough so that 1.25 diameter parts fit tightly as well as 0.625 parts.

A question if you don't mind regarding the minor/diagonal bracing spars on the girders, are they triangular profile rods which terminate inside the structure (to hide the ends, and additionally I guess, pass through each other if applicable) or do they intersect/join onto a single mesh?

I've been doing the later, and I feel like it's going to get triangle-expensive/overly-complicated on anything larger?

A question if you don't mind regarding the minor/diagonal bracing spars on the girders, are they triangular profile rods which terminate inside the structure (to hide the ends, and additionally I guess, pass through each other if applicable) or do they intersect/join onto a single mesh?

I've been doing the later, and I feel like it's going to get triangle-expensive/overly-complicated on anything larger?

They're just rods with hidden ends. Usually I think it's not worth it to actually make a single mesh with something like that, makes the unwrapping a pain and it's more difficult to modify afterwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.