Making high contrast nav ball!

kBob

I was wondering what might be involved in this. Ideally I'd like to play with the navball colors and the text and line overlay on the navball to find a set of good combos, but really just changing the colors on the navball might be enough especially bad is the white on light-blue...changing the light-blue to black or some other dark color could be good.

So can I just convert the navball mbm files into png and recolor the navball (maybe only using paint or GIMP)? Also assuming it's that easy (probably isn't or it would have been done) I've seen a converter for going from mbm to png but not back, how is this done?

Edit: Oops meant to put this in the development forum, sorry.

Edit:

xEvilReeperx has kindly provided a texture replacer in post 4 below and the new one is even better than the terrific orginal.  His instructions work fine, but if you need more detailed step by step instructions that will get you an easy to read Navball fast, I am providing them here.

Spoiler

1. Download the .zip file.  Click on the Download link in post number 4 below courtesy xEvilReeperx.
2. Download one of the texture files you see in this thread.
3. Unzip (called extract in some versions of windows) into your Kerbal Space Program folder.  If you got it from Steam it

will be in your "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program" folder where C: is the name of the drive you have

steam installed on.
4. Optional: if you want a copy of the default textures KSP uses: Run KSP, go to the Vehicle Assembly Building, put in a

MK1 command pod (or load a ship), click on launch, click on the letter C, now exit KSP
5. Copy the texture file you downloaded in step 2 to the Skins folder: "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space

Program\GameData\NavBallTextureChanger\Skins".
6. Rename this file to "EzRead.png".
7. Use Windows Notepad or the file editor of your choice and edit the config.cfg file in the folder: "C:\Steam\steamapps

\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NavBallTextureChanger\PluginData\NavBallTextureChanger".
8. You will see a line: "TextureUrl =" (without the quotes) change it to read "TextureUrl =EzRead" without the quotes.
9.  At this point you can run KSP and your new texture will be used.
10. If you go to the interior view (press the letter 'C') you will notice that the original texture is still being used.  For many

this may not be a problem since they don't spend much time in this view in which case you can stop right here.
11.  If you want the interior view navball to be exactly like the exterior view navball do this:
     a. exit KSP if running.
     b. Go to step 7 above and edit the the config.cfg file again.
     c. Change the line that reads: "EmissiveUrl =" to "EmissiveUrl =EzRead" without the quotes.
     d. Run KSP.  Go to the interior view and see the new texture.  Check it out in the dark too to make sure it's readable.
     e. If you don't like it you can try playing around with the numbers in the config.cfg file on the line that reads:

EmissiveColor = 0.376,0.376,0.376,1  where the first three numbers are the Red, Green and Blue values (so changing

them lets you try different colors) and the final number is the alpha value or opacity of the colors (I haven't played with this

but 0 should be fully transparent and go up to 1 which is fully opaque).
12. If someone posts a separate emissive texture you like you can download it and follow these instructions:
     a. exit KSP if running.
     b. copy the file you just downloaded to the same place in step 5.
     c. rename the file "EzReadEm.png".
     d. Go to step 7 and edit the config.cfg.
     e. Change the line that reads: "EmissiveUrl =" to "EmissiveUrl =EzReadEm" without the quotes.
     f. Run KSP and test it.
13.  You can use a program like Microsoft Paint to edit these files to your personal liking.

Edited by kBob

So can I just convert the navball mbm files into png and recolor the navball (maybe only using paint or GIMP)? Also assuming it's that easy (probably isn't or it would have been done) I've seen a converter for going from mbm to png but not back, how is this done?

It might be as simple as finding the NavBall GO's renderer, saving the mainTexture to disk, editing the texture, and finally using your plugin to change the navBall texture on any flight scenes. You'll need to write a plugin to make this work however.

Guess it's time to learn c#, haven't played with it since it came out and I wrote a few simple things, oh well by the time I do this it will probably be incorporated in the main program but probably a good starter project anyway. Thanks.

I had a few minutes to look into this and slapped something together for you.

6VLuF.jpg

Download

Version 1.5 (for KSP 1.2+), see repo for previous versions

Source

License: MIT

How to use it:

1. Unzip into KSP root dir
  2. Run the game. Enter flight scene with something
  3. The plugin will save the default NavBall texture to disk at (KSP_Root)/GameData/NavBallTextureChanger/Skins/stock.png
  4. Optionally enter IVA view of something with a NavBall to get a copy of the stock emissive texture
  5. Exit KSP. Edit the config file inside NavBallTextureChanger/PluginData/NavBallTextureChanger/config.cfg to your liking. The texture urls can be fully qualified or relative to the skins directory. They are extensionless filenames. For example, if you put your custom skin inside the skins folder and called it "mySkin.png", you would set TextureUrl = mySkin or TextureUrl = NavBallTextureChanger/Skins/mySkin
  6. The texture will replace both the flight and IVA view unless the appropriate option is disabled
  7. The stock IVA navball uses an emissive texture to make it a little more readable. You can edit the color (RGBA, floats) and/or supply your own emissive texture.

Changelog

1.5 - Updated for 1.2

1.4 - Updated for 1.1.2

1.3 - Fixed a rare bug somebody had once; removed some debug code that caused unnecessary log spam each time the plugin loaded

1.2 - Fixed an issue that caused only a single instance of the flight and iva NavBall to be changed

1.1.a - Fixed working directory issue when KSP is launched by an external program. Folder can now be renamed and/or moved anywhere, as long as it's under KSP's GameData dir

1.1 - Fixed issue preventing NavBall texture from being changed if the vessel doesn't have an iva view

1.0.a - Now includes iva

1.0 - Released

Edited by xEvilReeperx
version 1.5 (KSP 1.2)

Wow! Super thanks a lot!! Will be interesting to see if I can make the Navball easier to read. Source code looks good, not as bad as I thought...maybe I remember more c# than I realized :).

Neato, already helped with the guide lines, next I'll work on the characters:

YwGOPWq.jpg

This helps a lot, here I've changed the 70 and 10 degree markers to Arial Black...much easier to read. There might be better fonts if someone was to play around with this, but it works for me. I'll finish it up in a bit, if anyone wants my texture file just let me know and I'll find somewhere to post it.

Di0BaIJ.jpg

Wow what a difference. Thanks again xEvil you saved me a month at least trying to figure out the calls etc. I'd need now I can work on something else while not having to lean forward or squint to read my Navball. This is what it looks like now, but I think I'll do an Apollo like black and white version see how it compares.

Ij1ZHK6.jpg

And for anyone who doesn't want to repaint the ball here is the texture file, just copy into the ...\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NavBallTextureExport folder and name it navball.png

ivWNhX2.png

Oh, how my middle-aged eyes thank you, and xEvilReeperx.

Wow what a difference. Thanks again xEvil you saved me a month at least trying to figure out the calls etc. I'd need now I can work on something else while not having to lean forward or squint to read my Navball. This is what it looks like now, but I think I'll do an Apollo like black and white version see how it compares.

http://i.imgur.com/Ij1ZHK6.jpg

And for anyone who doesn't want to repaint the ball here is the texture file, just copy into the ...\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NavBallTextureExport folder and name it navball.png

http://i.imgur.com/ivWNhX2.png

Edited by lincourtl

Here is the new black and white Navball, looks good I think, my new game standard:

Axfp1Hn.png

Here is the texture file. If you have my earlier hi contrast texture delete or rename it, otherwise same instructions.

0W3BLtB.png

Is it compatible with EnhancedNavBall and Navball Docking Indicator? Those mods are invaluable to me, so it all depends on compatibility :D

Yup. Though I've been Ninjaed I made these pics so I'm posting anyway :D

enb.jpgndi.jpg

Now I'm off to make the navball of my dreams!

Edited by 5thHorseman

I'm working on a new, less cluttered but (hopefully) more clear navball. Opinions? I've obviously not got the numbers all done yet. In particular, is the font (verdana) a good choice and what color other than white would be good for the "ground" side? Or do we even need different colors? The yellow markers don't show up too well on the white but everything seems to work on the black. I may try an "all black" navball and see how it looks.

prototype.jpg

For those who like a little color:

Hq11rxV.png

The texture:

yedGnpr.png

@5th I was thinking about something along those lines I'll wait and see what you come up with first. I was wondering too about an all one color version not sure just how much use the split color is...I mean I always know when I'm headed into the planet and for planes, well there are no clouds so we always fly VFR and don't rely on instruments...

Edit: I wonder when people will start making navballs to match their flags?

Edited by kBob

Black on both the top and bottom just looked... wrong. So I've settled for black and dark grey. I like it. I'm now working on the numbers and started with the hardest one, hoping it'll get easier from here on out. Here's what I have so far. Ignore anything cyan as those are just marker lines for my benefit while editing, to make it easier to do on the bottom when I get it right.

blackgrey.jpg

Yeah that 80 is a pain didn't seem worth the struggle but I see you got it, though I'm still not sure it's worth it, in fact I was thinking of removing all the numbers in which the left digit is even to declutter it a bit. Color scheme looks good.

kBob said:
Yeah that 80 is a pain didn't seem worth the struggle but I see you got it, though I'm still not sure it's worth it, in fact I was thinking of removing all the numbers in which the left digit is even to declutter it a bit. Color scheme looks good.

I was thinking on similar lines and your post made me try my idea, and I'm pretty happy with it so thanks for the prod :)

Here's the final version that I'm going to keep for a while and see if I like it:

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

Never though of that since I don't find the IVA useful at present. Maybe...if the calls are similar but I'm still trying to work out all the calls in the one we have now. Experts?

It's as straightforward as the flight NavBall. But it's a lot darker (flipped texture already fixed).

6Y4He.jpg

We've got a couple of options though, if something needs to be done

1. We could enable separate textures for iva and the regular NavBall
  2. We could tweak the actual material (how the texture is displayed). Brightening it with a shader, for instance
    Option 2 with a basic emissive shader brightening the whole thing:

6Y7oX.jpg

It's nothing special, but it also doesn't require anything special. We could probably improve it somewhat with a custom shader.

Option 2 with an emissive shader with an emissive map would look like this:

6Y9LV.jpg

It's much more visible, but it requires a second texture to define the "bright" areas and so is slightly more complex

@xEvil: Thanks again, the colors, for me, look good going with the cabin light available; the texture is still being inverted (which keeps you on your toes and is actually still easier to read than the standard navball), as if the code after the if(MF) is not being executed.

kSFduOh.png

Now if I could just find where all the calls and structures are documented, is most of this coming out of Unity? I guess I need to install Unity and C# and start playing around...got sidetracked a bit playing with new navball colors and starting to teach myself blender.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.