Fastest Kerbin orbit and fastest Mun mission

The challenge is pretty simple:

1. Fastest time to orbit Kerbin

Fastest mission time time to get into orbit around Kerbin, with a Periapsis of 75.000+, and make a safe return to Kerbin. The mission time is the time that appears after you hit the end flight button, when you successfully ended the mission.

2. Fastest Mun mission

Fastest mission time time to get on the Mun and make a safe return to Kerbin. The mission time is the time that appears after you hit the end flight button, when you successfully ended the mission.

Rules:

-Stock crafts only

-No .cfg edits

-Don\'t lie

-You dont need to orbit around the sun. When the orbital maps shows an orbit with a Periapsis of 75.000+, you completed the orbit mission and you can turn back to Kerbin.

If you want you can show screens but if you don\'t lie, it is not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Mun Mission:

~ 0:9:00 Direct course to Mun set

~1:50:00 Orbit around Mun

4:25:30 Landed on Mun (big crater facing Kerbin)

4:26:20 Starting from Mun for our voyage home

10:43:22 End of mission after Splashdown in the ocean south of KSC

Could have landed on Kerbin ~0.5-1 hour earlier, but I tried to land as close to KSC as possible and had to do >half a wide orbit in order to do so

To the Mun and back in 5:56:32. Arrival and departure speeds at the Mun were both over 2 km/s, but I missed the Mun by a couple hundred km and had to spend 2 hours putzing around before I could land, so under 4 hours might be possible. Hit the admosphere coming back at over 4.5 km/s and pulled 69 Gs :o

To the Mun and back in 5:56:32. Arrival and departure speeds at the Mun were both over 2 km/s, but I missed the Mun by a couple hundred km and had to spend 2 hours putzing around before I could land, so under 4 hours might be possible. Hit the admosphere coming back at over 4.5 km/s and pulled 69 Gs :o

That is VERY impressive if you are using a stock craft (which is the point of the thread). Mind sharing one shot of it?

Ok, did it this time in 4:00:00 exactly. :D Most of the savings was in correcting my path at the Mun, although I burned a lot more fuel, which meant a slightly slower return trip.

Pics http://imgur.com/a/FoNuG#0:

Pre-dawn launch

3o0FJh.jpg

After TMI and the loss of many stages...

t20Nwh.jpg

Trans Munar orbit

LEDgVh.jpg

Initial intercept (still missed by a lot...)

QVNRBh.jpg

Slowing down

lfcMah.jpg

Touchdown

vOdsPh.jpg

Burning for home

uLkeoh.jpg

On our way

rEIUKh.jpg

Hitting the atmosphere (not quite so fast this time)

OUAeGh.jpg

Home in time for supper :D

LtFz5h.jpg

CgMW6h.jpg

Ok, did it this time in 4:00:00 exactly. :D Most of the savings was in correcting my path at the Mun, although I burned a lot more fuel, which meant a slightly slower return trip.

Pics http://imgur.com/a/FoNuG#0:

Pre-dawn launch

3o0FJh.jpg

After TMI and the loss of many stages...

t20Nwh.jpg

Trans Munar orbit

LEDgVh.jpg

Initial intercept (still missed by a lot...)

QVNRBh.jpg

Slowing down

lfcMah.jpg

Touchdown

vOdsPh.jpg

Burning for home

uLkeoh.jpg

On our way

rEIUKh.jpg

Hitting the atmosphere (not quite so fast this time)

OUAeGh.jpg

Home in time for supper :D

LtFz5h.jpg

CgMW6h.jpg

Clever use of tricouplers as landing gears, and I like the triangular look of the craft :)

Clever use of tricouplers as landing gears, and I like the triangular look of the craft :)

Yea, this is the first time I\'ve tried them and I\'m really pleased how well they worked out. Very stable and the same impact tolerance as fins. I think this may become my default system of choice until we get real stock landing legs.

Well how does 2:39:01 sound for a return trip to the moon?

Thing is this, Bob had been rebuilding his moon lander and remembering the glory days of Burger Crater. So he decided to take a few patties up on the test flight and fry them up on the main control panel heatsink like in the good old days.

Only this time he added a little too much chilli to the mix and sorry to say Jeb got a touch of the old jippy tummy. So he wanted to get back to KSC pretty quick, in fact it wasnt just him as the capsule was getting a bit ripe. Bill thought maybe Bob should not have kept the patties on top of the navigation computer because it got a bit too warm there. He said to stick them to the window next time as that usually got a nice cool frosting with the capsule turned away from the sun, the better to keep them chilled.

Anyway after a quick launch and arrival, (travelling at 1800m/s over the Mun down to a late retro burn,) the fry up only took a few minutes. But before they left the Munar SOI Jeb decided the journey home had to be a quick one for the reasons mentioned. So he made the usual escape vector to head out of Munar SOI and then turned the nose of the ship so it lined up on the KSC indicator to get a close bearing on Kerbin and opened the throttle.

Luckily they had quite a bit of gas left in the lander tanks after the landing engines sheared off and the fuel pipes were intact for once so they had quite a long burn before leaving Munar SOI at 2500m/s. Once they left the Mun SOI and entered Kerbin SOI they saw they were on a good track for home and decided to pick up the pace a little and after jettison of the lander tanks and using all three orbiter tanks except a small reserve for manoevures they found themselves going at 5500m/s on a return trip to the day side with a very low PE, so the ship would enter at a shallow angle and decelerate as gently as possible giving ample time to deploy the chute.

They were quite glad to get down and open the capsule door to enjoy the benefit of some fresh sea breezes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.