Squad-NASA cooperation needed ASAP!

czokletmuss

Americans are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, said a poll out Friday. The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation. Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average scoreâ€â€6.5 correctâ€â€was barely a passing grade. Just 74 percent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago. Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals. The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

Source: http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html

One in four Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun - holy moly...

My god... I'm happy that I do not live in the US. By the way, there's already a SQUAD-NASA cooperation going. They're making a mission pack that will allow us to capture an asteroid in Kerbin orbit, and they'll make stockalike Space Launch System parts to go with it.

My god... I'm happy that I do not live in the US. By the way, there's already a SQUAD-NASA cooperation going. They're making a mission pack that will allow us to capture an asteroid in Kerbin orbit, and they'll make stockalike Space Launch System parts to go with it.

I know - I just wanted to underline that it is needed ASAP considering this disastrous survey.

KSP should also be issued to anyone who wants to write space opera. They should not be allowed to do a space flight scene without achieving a circular kerbin orbit, then landing again.

USA really aught to set up their science education.

Some of this may relate to cultural issues. For example get the impression that America has a much higher proportion of people who insist that the most literal reading of Genesis is true, and therefore rule out ideas of evolution and much of geology, and cosmology is ruled out a priori.

Do we have any estimated schedule for the new update? They´re already testing it, right? Have paused my career until the new update is live.

There was a special announcement when .23 entered the testing phase. Judging by the amount of content, .24 is still a couple of weeks away from testing :(

Source: http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html

One in four Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun - holy moly...

I am very surprised. My university lecturer in Russia complained students were becoming more and more stupid every year but I couldn't imagine it is possible not to know that Earth circles Sun.

We need a native American to clarify things: maybe those people simply didn't have enough money to pay for their education and therefore didn't attend school?

Wut r u guyz talkin bout? Everybodyz noes that the earth goes round the sun!!!

But seriously, this doesn't really come as a surprise to me. I live in the United States and its not that our education system is broke. The students don't have the will or urge to learn, they don't give a damn. My school covered orbital physics in 8th grade for several weeks. Public schooling is decent, its just the students need something to drive them to learn, all they care about is drugs, and women.

All that stated above is the case in my local area.

I have no idea why the Board of Education doesn't realize that science (and especially astronomy and astrophysics!) is just as essential as reading, writing, math, etc. I am so sick about learning "Motion and Forces" I could scream.

25% of the nation doesn't know the Earth orbits the Sun?! THAT is a problem.

I have no idea why the Board of Education doesn't realize that science (and especially astronomy and astrophysics!) is just as essential as reading, writing, math, etc. I am so sick about learning "Motion and Forces" I could scream.

25% of the nation doesn't know the Earth orbits the Sun?! THAT is a problem.

Maybe they don't care?

15schoolhouse_rock07.jpg

Sorry, I just had to do this "Drawn Together" reference :P

But seriously, the bad situation of your education system will cause troubles in the long run I fear. I think from this perspective I'm glad I live in Europe.

This is pretty interesting and especially americans can only find that science is valuable in war, or in the northeast where I live and our education is slightly less ****.

Here is an interesting video that can go with this topic by Neil DeGrasse Tyson

I am a seventh grader in Iowa and honestly this test sounds like a load of crap. If I were too go take a poll of the average person right now I bet that 95% of the population that took the test would be aware that the earth orbits the sun. You also have to think where this test happened in Chicago because not everyone there in the bad neighbor hoods make it past middle school. Looks like I know what I'm gonna do this Monday.

I read a similar article (maybe the same one), but you must realise, that they only did the survey on 2000 some people... that doesnt even represent newyork/almost any other state they have down south.

edit : of us

Edited by Nemrav

Ye, Canada is cool.

I've discovered that education is slowly degradating. A couple of months ago, when Chang'e 3 launched, I was so excited I had to tell a lot of my friends about it. Guess what were their reactions when I told them 'China had sent a little car to the moon but it hadn't landed yet'.

-"Cool! How many guys does it carry?

-"Did they use one of those saturn rockets you always talk about?"

-"Will it land on the dark side?"

Obviously this shows ignorance BUT interest. I had about 6 guts standing next to me as I played the launch video. I explained everything in the simplest way ever, and they were pleased to know more about this. Remember, Einstein was one of the worst mathematics student when he was in school. :) the problem isn't that we don't have interest, it is that they're teaching us the wrong things! I don't need to hear about how Jesus saved everybody or have a guy trying to teach us MS Word! And with the important classes, I've noticed that our teachers almost never give graphical explanations. Last week, my chemistry teacher was trying to explain why mass isn't the same as weight, but almost nobody understood him because he was using a bunch of formulas. How hard was it to draw the Earth, the Moon, and a guy floating between them?

/rant.

That survey was scary. How can more people in the US believe in creationism? I'm glad I don't live there...

I hope this doesn't turn into a political discussion but just some things I'd like to say...

- It is kind of offensive to hear people say "Glad I don't live in the US." Granted, there are problems here but they can be fixed.

- I do agree wholeheartedly that our education is lacking, and it is sad, as people pointed out, what the world cares about these days. Many people probably don't even think about life and how things work. They just accept things for granted.

- I could get into a whole talk about what I think about but this isn't really the place for it. It is nice to know that we have a forum where people actually have some brainpower.

- Finally, it is sad to see, agreed that all people seem to care about is things I won't mention on the forums... there's a whole world out there that we can uncover, and I'm talking about science and mathematics, or anything to occupy your brain other than these mainstream atrocities.

It is very hard to believe that people don't know the Earth revolves around the Sun, and I question the authenticity of that survey. Anyways, I'm not trying to force opinions or anything and please don't get offended by anything I said. Have a good day :)

I hope this doesn't turn into a political discussion but just some things I'd like to say...

- It is kind of offensive to hear people say "Glad I don't live in the US." Granted, there are problems here but they can be fixed.(...) Anyways, I'm not trying to force opinions or anything and please don't get offended by anything I said. Have a good day :)

Don't understand me wrong but what is offensive in this statement? People have different set of values and preferences after all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.