The Ike Program

TJPrime

Ok, I searched for challenges that was based around an Ike mission and found nothing good. So I thought of this. Hope you guys enjoy it! I'll edit it if you guys think I should add something else

The story

As Bill and Jeb approached Duna on the first mission there, they noticed something no kerbal had even dreamed about: A moon around the planet. For hundreds, or even thousands of years, kerbals had assumed that Kerbin was the only planet to have a moon - two, in fact. All kextbooks would need to be re-written. And as Jeb stared at the moon for hours on end, he thought 'next time, we're going there'.

This inspired young kerbals to have their own space program and build a permanent outpost on Ike, along with the Duna base, built by the company 'KaceX'.

The Challenge:

To build a base on Ike

EXTENSION: to build a space station (when you feel like your base is done)

Rules:

You can't use anything to help with launching, getting to Ike or landing on Ike.

You can use mechjeb, but you must deduct 2 points for using it.

You can use mods that help constructing the base (like KAS), how it looks (like the HOME mod) and enhancements (like the cloud and city lights)

Kethane is also allowed

You can use mapping satellites to choose a place to land and build a base

HARD MODE: use the remote tech mod

Scoring:

BASE:

5 points for each kerbal you have on your base

10 points for each module until 10th module, 5 points until 30th module. No more points after 30th module (who builds a base with that many modules anyway?)

20 points for a manned rover, 10 points for a second manned rover, 5 points for a third rover and 1 point for every additional rover, manned or unmanned

30 points for a garage for your rovers (additional garages do not give you points)

50 points for a runway, plus 10 points for a space plane (5 points for a second space plane, no more points after that)

+35% of your original score if you provide evidence that the space kraken ate your base

STATION:

5 points for each kerbal you have on your station

10 points for each Space plane you have on your station

10 points for each SSTO lander you have (can land, maybe refuel, launch and rendezvous & dock with the station again)

20 points for each module until 10th module. Every module after that is worth 5 points

+25% of your original score if you provide evidence that the space kraken ate your station

-5 points if you used mechjeb to dock your modules

Special awards:

Scott Manley: Named after someone who does KSP videos on YouTube, you're the first to enter this challenge (+50 points)

Half a centaury: have 50 or more modules docked, space station OR base (not a combination of the two - so no 20 on the base, 30 on the station)(+100 points)

A centaury: Have 100 or more modules (+1000 points)

Duna on the horizon!: Build your base in the narrow band where you see Duna on or near the horizon (must be able to see duna)(+50 points)

As far as the eye can see... This one's probably pointless, but of well - Have your base so big that from one end, you can't see the other (+1000 points)

Ring of Kerbals: have your base/station in a circular fashion

The ultimate base...: Only two people can get this - Decided by me, whoever has the base station and/or base gets this award (+100 points)

3 strikes: Have at least 3 of these awards (+300 points) (only first 5 entries will be put onto leader board - everyone else can still get the 300 points)

LEADERBOARD:

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

4th:

5th:

Scott Manely:

The ultimate base:

Station:

Base:

3 strikes:

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

4th:

5th:

Edited by TJPrime

• 2 weeks later...
You can't use anything to help with launching, getting to Ike or landing on Ike.

You can use mechjeb, but ONLY for information (like TWR, periapsis, apoapsis, ect.)

Okay, started working on this a couple of days ago. I'd been meaning to build an Ike base, and this is a good opportunity.

I've dropped in a rover that drove over 10 km and found the perfect base site. However I just went back and read the rules, and realized that I shouldn't have been using MechJeb to fly all this time. Instead of the direct prohibition on autopilot, why not instead incentivize stick-and-rudder launches and landings with a -5 penalty for MechJeb or a +5 bonus for hand landings, like you do with dockings? That would allow me to salvage my attempt, and would probably increase overall participation as well.

You can use mechjeb, but ONLY for information (like TWR, periapsis, apoapsis, ect.)

Unenforceable; either allow MechJeb or don't. Alternatively, as said, add a point penalty for MechJeb/flight assistant mods.

Do you think points should be taken off for using Flight Engineer?

That's really up to the OP. My main point was that you can't enforce using the info of MechJeb over the AP functions of MechJeb, so saying "but ONLY for information" is kind of silly.

Were it my challenge and I wanted to avoid people using automation I'd disallow MechJeb and tell people to use VOID/Engineer if they want info. Or I'd create a separate bracket for MJ users.

However I just went back and read the rules, and realized that I shouldn't have been using MechJeb to fly all this time. Instead of the direct prohibition on autopilot, why not instead incentivize stick-and-rudder launches and landings with a -5 penalty for MechJeb or a +5 bonus for hand landings, like you do with dockings? That would allow me to salvage my attempt, and would probably increase overall participation as well.

I didn't think about penalties when I wrote this. I'll change the rules to say that you lose 2 points for using mechjeb.

Also, it's nice to see people liking the challenge (apart from this slight flaw). My past attempts haven't been too good.

Your base looks amazing! Now I have to do all the math to find out your score and put you on the leader board!

How many kerbals were, in the end, on your base? So far, I've got to 313.25.

Edited by TJPrime

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.