[25/03/2014] Octagonal Truss Set

Kommitz

Couldn't you just make the struts procedural bits? I mean, you could possibly modify some of the code from StretchySRB.

Well I can't because the only code I know is about half an introductory course to Python... As far as I know StretchySRB doesn't work in a way that'd be applicable to stretchy trusses; the fueltanks are stretched primitives whereas trusses would need to be duplicated mesh sections with distinct caps. I might look into the idea eventually though, I'd just need to find someone willing to do/help with the code.

Could you make an "open" version with attachement nodes on the inside so we can pack standard 2.5 meter parts inside of it ?

I can't do that with the standard truss sections because they're made to fit in line with 2.5m parts. Instead I'm working on a slightly larger cargo holding section, with some adapters down to standard truss sizes.

As for what I'm working on, I'm changing the layout of the texture sheet and models so that I can more easily put in different fuel tanks and should release an update once that's done. Should include:

• Smaller fueltank in Monopropellant, Xenon and LFO options.
  • Docking port. I've opted to make a docking port that you can, if you want, put additional guide ports on so that trusses can be aligned more easily. I initially wanted to just make a port that used guide vanes for alignment but the collision physics don't seem to be accurate enough for that to work well.
  • 6-way hub.
  • Cargo truss, with adapter and attachment points.

I'll get some screenshots later.

Edited by Kommitz

I don't have KSP handy at the moment so I can't test this, but are these truss things compatible with those from NFPP?

They seem to be, so long as you rotate things http://i.imgur.com/Ib1FIlQ.png

Also day or two more until the update drops, here's the fueltanks. Trusses are to be re-textured as I completely reshuffled their texture sheet:

e7DNm2r.jpg

Update released!

LTQzhXf.jpg

Check the first post for the spaceport link.

Important note: Make sure you delete your old 'kommit_octostrut' folder before you install the new one. Your save games should be safe.

Main additions:

• Half-Size LFO Tank
  • Xenon Tank
  • Monopropellant Tank
  • Half-Size Truss
  • 6-Way Hub
  • Two Docking Ports - Large port, for matching the rest of the trusses and a small port that can be added in case you need some help with aligning things.

In addition to the new parts, the textures have been changed around and I added some extra geometry detail to the round adapter and radial attach point.

Hm, the 6-way node fits well when connected to another of your spectacular truss parts in the VAB, but stays transparent for me - anyone else with this problem?

What way are you attaching it? KSP makes it fiddly to use parts with more than two attach nodes, so the hub will only attach initially from the bottom node i.e. it will attach fine if you put it on top of something. If you want to attach it to a part in a different orientation you'll need to rotate it until the bottom node is the one that's being used to attach.

Or maybe you know this already and it's a different problem in which case I'm not sure what it could be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm probably going to completely break this mod when spaceport goes down.

Sorry about that.

I'm considering moving the thread over to the Add-On development forum and working on integrating the parts with the new features in the firespitter plugin so that I can offer more parts without bloating up the parts menu :D Consolidating similarly sized parts into switchable tanks etc.

I might also change some of the part sizes a bit (making adapters shorter for a start), and will add some wider and thinner truss systems to work with the core 2.5m parts.

Kommitz, one suggestion, add config for modular fuel tanks.

It woudl be usefull for use with interstellar mod.

I'll get to it when I've finished re-sorting things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.