What do you think Jupiter's core is made of?

Sun

What do you think Jupiter's core is made of?  

1. 1. What do you think Jupiter's core is made of?

• Highly compressed solid hydrogen
    • Exotic matter
    • Hot rock and maybe ice
    • No core, just even more compressed hydrogen, but not quite solid.

Computer models of Jupiter's interior show that it can not be hydrogen/helium all the way to the center (you don't get the right diameter/mass combination), so we expect that under the thick atmosphere, liquid hydrogen/helium mantle, and liquid metallic hydrogen layer, there must be a core of ice/rock/metal…maybe 24 Earth masses worth (but that amount varies quite a bit from model to model).

None of the above, I'm with Clarke on this: forever inaccessible to my wife, a diamond as big as the Earth!

I'm also going for this, a carbon core under immense pressure with the heat that goes with it, the largest diamond in the solar system, forever beyond the reach of man or wives :)

It contains similar atoms just like Earth below its lithosphere. Its composition is similar to typical asteroids because all planets were initially made of such material which clumped together. Jupiter was larger and far enough to keep its permanent gas (hydrogen and helium) atmosphere.

So it's basically rock, meaning heavy elements like carbon, iron, nickel, uranium.

The state of it... probably some kind of degenerate matter. No compounds. Just plasma so compressed it might be solid. I don't think scientists did any actual experiments outside computer simulations, and it might be that nobody even did some decent simulations of it.

It might have a crust of carbon in the diamond form, but the actual core must be made of heavier elements.

So I'll vote for "exotic matter" because that's the closest explanation, but it's undoubtedly rock by composition. It can't be hydrogen.

Edited by lajoswinkler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.