Getting bored of stock KSP. Looking for some balanced mod suggestions.

Specula

As much as I normally don't like mods (Many modding communities for games seem to have a penchant for making mods that suck the fun out of the game by making it too easy), I'm finally getting bored enough of stock KSP that I'm looking for some mods to offer plenty of additional parts to play with. But I'm still not interested in really overpowered parts and since I've not got hours upon hours to research and go through trial and error, can I ask for some suggestions? What mods look fantastic and are filled with extremely fair and balanced extra parts in your estimation? Both rocket and spaceplane parts (and maybe some space station parts too) are desired, I play with SSTOs as much as I do conventional rockets.

Thanks for any input you've got to offer. :)

I'd say get Deadly Reentry with Tac Life Support for a harder challenge, and then get KW Rocketry for larger parts (I'd recommend getting Strechy Tanks as well, as it really helps fps) Beyond that, you can add different mods for other stuff to do, add a telescope for example, or maybe get RemoteTech (although RemoteTech isn't working very well for me atm, you could still give it a shot)

If you need help with any mods, you can always PM me :)

Assuming you want to stay stockalike, first go for RLA Stockalike for more probe sized propulsion parts (warning, this mod shows just how overpowered the 48-7S really is), more RCS thrusters, and some other goodies like monopropellant engines and a new aerospike. If you want a hodge-podge of stockalike stuff, look up SXT (by Lack, who does LLL). This pack includes 3,75m stockalike fuel tanks and an adapter. For a few extra goodies bound for stock very soon, grab KSPX. It adds some radial cylindical and spherical fuel tanks, a smaller 2.5m RCS tank, an escape tower, and a 2.5m reaction wheel (no SAS) and some other things.

If you're big into ion engines and cool future-ish stuff, go get Near Future Propulsion, which adds all kinds of engines, reactors, and solar panels, as well as huge batteries and capacitors.

KW Rocketry is great if you find yourself wanting heavy lift capability.

I think one way to cure stock boredom without adding parts is some visual enhancement mods. Go try out HotRockets and CoolRockets to make your launches look 100x more badass.

I'd also recommend that you play around with some convenience mods to help out with things. WARNING: There is a good chance you may become highly dependent on some of these.

I cannot live without Enhanced Navball, EditorExtensions, SelectRoot, and TweakableEverything, among some other things.

I mainly use a bunch of plugin only mods many small part mods, which add a handful of convenience items like the 6S service compartments, and a few parts packs. If you want to know some more good ones (I barely touched my mod list), feel free to message me.

EDIT: Wow, I almost forgot Kethane. If you want to stop waiting for what the devs are too busy to do (since they think career is more important than resources), grab kethane and finally make bases and stations have a function!

Edited by Captain Sierra

I could never really understand why some don't like modding, it seems to me that modding is usually necessary to fix all the problems with a game, and can only add to a game experience, some games I've started modding before even playing them.

Skyrim is a good example of a game with so many terrible design decisions and awful graphics (lousy textures, hideous lighting, etc.) that I could never even consider playing it unmodded.

Whilst I consider KSP to be a game that is almost perfect, there are still some mods I'd consider essential:

Texture compressor

Universe replacer & texture packs

Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights & HD cloud pack

Deadly Re-entry

Flight Engineer

Alarm Clock

Infernal Robotics

Joint Reinforcement

KW Rocketry

Ferram Aerospace Research

B9 Aerospace

Then to add more things to do in the game, mods like:

Kerbal Attachment System

RemoteTech 2

SCANsat

Kethane

KSP Interstellar

Tarsier Space Technology

put all that on and not only will it look stunning but it will be a much more in depth and interesting game.

I could never really understand why some don't like modding, it seems to me that modding is usually necessary to fix all the problems with a game, and can only add to a game experience, some games I've started modding before even playing them.

Skyrim is a good example of a game with so many terrible design decisions and awful graphics (lousy textures, hideous lighting, etc.) that I could never even consider playing it unmodded.

Whilst I consider KSP to be a game that is almost perfect, there are still some mods I'd consider essential:

Texture compressor

Universe replacer & texture packs

Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights & HD cloud pack

Deadly Re-entry

Flight Engineer

Alarm Clock

Infernal Robotics

Joint Reinforcement

KW Rocketry

Ferram Aerospace Research

B9 Aerospace

Then to add more things to do in the game, mods like:

Kerbal Attachment System

RemoteTech 2

SCANsat

Kethane

KSP Interstellar

Tarsier Space Technology

put all that on and not only will it look stunning but it will be a much more in depth and interesting game.

.... Yeah, no thanks. Posts and attitudes like that are precisely why many have problems with modding communities, modders and their fans. I'll pass on those.

I'm not too big on the 'extra parts' type of mods, but I like the few that add a new dimension and throw in a couple of parts that are needed for the mod. SCANsat and Kethane are two I like. CactEye will let you build a Hubble type of telescope. If you're looking to make things a bit more challenging, mods like Ferram Aerospace Research and Deadly Re-entry will almost force you to re-learn how to fly in a more realistic atmosphere. There are some neat mods that will allow you to do all-IVA missions too, like RasterPropMonitor.

Some people are purists, and some want to tweak any and everything in the game. I figure the only way to really evaluate a mod is to try it. I don't consider any mod to be totally essential, but it's usually fairly easy to try them out, and ditch the ones you're not a fan of.

.... Yeah, no thanks. Posts and attitudes like that are precisely why many have problems with modding communities, modders and their fans. I'll pass on those.

And you respond with exactly the same attitude reversed. Pot, kettle, black.

Anyhow. I've tried a bunch of different mods. And I think I'm about the same as you. The stock game got a bit boring, but I'm not looking for mods that add lots of extra complexity and take too much time, but also not for mods that are overpowered.

So let me comment on some of the above list:

Texture compressor - Only needed if you have lots of mods, and run into memory problems.

Universe replacer & texture packs - Just visuals, IMHO does not enhance gameplay.

Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights & HD cloud pack - Same as above.

Kethane - Sounded like fun, but loads and loads of work. Not advisable if you are having problems with docking or targeted landing.

RemoteTech 2 - I tried this one, sounded like fun. But I found it too complex and a bit buggy in the end. Could be fun if you 100% concentrate on only this mod. But building satellite networks is quite a lot of work.

Alarm Clock - Useful if you plan a lot of advanced maneuvers. But I never really used it. As I usually do 1 flight at a time.

Kerbal Attachment System - Just added this one, and it's fun. Adds a lot more then the name suggests. (As I found out in a recent Scott Manley movie)

I found the life support more annoying then fun. But I do want to try KSP Interstellar because of the added heat mechanics.

And you respond with exactly the same attitude reversed. Pot, kettle, black.

... Yeah-no, I'm not taking that bait despite how completely wrong you are. -snip- I come in here asking for some suggestions and stating concerns that I'd like to keep it stock-like and balanced, and in less than 5 posts, people are already denouncing developers and non mod users alike and in less than 10 posts, it turns into passive-aggressive personal attacks.

Now I remember the OTHER reason why I steer clear of mods and their communities. I'm out.

Edited by KasperVld