EVA control

Paul G

Hi,

I'm just starting out with KSP, and have managed to get myself up in orbits (of varying quality) , however I'm having less success with EVA's when I try to recover science. Sometimes when I exit the capsule, let go, and activate the jetpack, my kerbalnaught orientates himself face down (he pitches 90' down) and I cannot get him upright and parallel to the rocket. Even if I use left click and drag to adjust pitch so that I'm facing the rocket, using any keyboard controls just resets the pitch so that I'm looking down the rocket again.

I can't work out what I'm doing that sometimes let's me do EVA's without this 90' pitch down problem - can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks

Paul

There are two modes for EVA, auto-align-with-camera-mode and freeform mode, this can be selected in the settings screen/other input tab.

In auto-align mode your Kerbal will align with the camera, in freeform you can pitch and roll by holding the left mouse button and moving the mouse, and yaw with Q and E.

What you are seeing is your Kerbal aligning with the camera, you can adjust camera mode with V, and this is the easiest mode to use.

Freeform is tricky, but worth a go :)

Also, welcome to the community !

Brilliant, thanks for the advice and the welcome, hope I will be able to help others as I progress. In the short time I've been using KSP, I've learned the answer to 2 questions that have bugged me for years:

Why don't rockets go straight up, send

Why do rockets coast.

Being able to visualise ballistic paths, and how they can evolve in to orbits has been a real eye opener! Soooo much to learn.

:)

In the short time I've been using KSP, I've learned the answer to 2 questions that have bugged me for years:

Why don't rockets go straight up, send

Why do rockets coast.

Being able to visualise ballistic paths, and how they can evolve in to orbits has been a real eye opener! Soooo much to learn.

:)

And now for the bad news: You will never be able to watch space travel / combat / whatever in a science fiction movie without that feeling that something is very, very off about how things are moving ever again :P Still, it's ultimately a small price to pay for the much greater reward of expanding the horizons of your knowledge.

And now for the bad news: You will never be able to watch space travel / combat / whatever in a science fiction movie without that feeling that something is very, very off about how things are moving ever again :P Still, it's ultimately a small price to pay for the much greater reward of expanding the horizons of your knowledge.

Actually, it's better than watching sci-fi battles with real physics... that would be really painful to watch :D I still like when F302 fight against the enemy in Stargate :D but you're kinda right... it opened my eyes as well... now I really get many many many more things that have something in common with physics... all of it makes so much sense now :D

There was a funny animation by ElementAnimation with a spacecraft. For a start, it had its engine on while flying to the Moon. Then there was gravity inside...