[Stock Craft] A-2 Claymore: High-Performance Atmospheric Light Bomber

guz667

Greetings all! Here is another creation from the folks at Guzworks; the A-2 Claymore. This craft is intended for short-to-medium-range missions in atmospheric bodies, mostly Kerbin. The A-2 has been rated to carry an underslung payload of over seven and one-half tons and can conduct longer range missions via high-altitude flight.

Please see the stats, picture, and demo video below. Thank you for your time, and consider acquiring an A-2 for your light bomber needs today!

Statistics:

Name: A-2 Claymore

Type: HPALB (High-Performance Atmospheric Light Bomber)

Cost: 42,540

Mass (Dry): 7440 kg (7.44t)

Mass (No Payload): 9040 kg (9.04t)

Max Test Payload: 7860 kg (7.86t)

Tested Max. Takeoff Mass: 16900 kg (16.9t)

Cruise Alt. (Safe): 18000-19000m (18-19km)

Cruise Speed: 850-950 m/s

Ceiling (Max Achieved): 21943m (21.9km)

Max Speed Achieved (w/Payload): 1011 m/s

Max Mission Time Achieved: 19m, 11s

Max Ground Distance Covered: 658,770m (658.7km)

A-2 Claymore ready for take-off.

A2-Claymore.png

B-3 Guided Cluster Bomb in flight, deployed from an A-2 Claymore.

cruisemissile.png

Reveal and Performance Footage:

Craft File:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9743897/KSP/A2%20Claymore.craft (right-click, "Save Link-As")

Tips for Operation:

For dumb-fire B-3 payload delivery, Press "1" to activate and cut the chutes on the B-3 payload. Immediately Release the stage afterward. Recommended no higher than 7000m, optimal around 3000m from 1 - 2km. Recommend attitude at level or a little below.

For guided weapon use, release with regular staging. Tweak B-3 chutes to deploy at higher altitude. Switch to and adjust aim for B-3. Select target (double-click on it, use map, unless it is a building, such as the VAB). When you have a comfortable targeting solution, deploy engine guide in toward target. (Using the guided method usually has the craft disappear after 2.5km...I know the craft can land, so that's what it does...returns to base. >_>)

For longer range flights, achieve up to 17000m altitude as fast as possible. From here, carefully achieve 18000-19000m altitude. The A-2 can go higher, but you must be very careful. Once you achieve a cruising speed of around 800-950 m/s velocity, throttle down to around 1/3 to save fuel, and keep an eye on your velocity to make sure it stays in range (it should...I have only tested this without a payload). When the craft is lower on fuel and has delivered its payload, it will want to tip up very high at higher throttle. Stay at high altitudes with low throttle until you can come in for your landing.

WARNING: I have not attempted a landing without first having delivered the large payload. Do this at your own risk. The craft glides well and isn't terribly hard to land, just land with a ***slightly*** elevated pitch and come down nice and slow. I imagine a landing with the B-3 payload would be very Kerbal.

Edited by guz667

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I attempted to upload this just now to the SpacePort, but I am having errors. While I work those out, if you would like the .craft file, simply right click the dropbox link and click "Save Link As..." You should be given the option to save it wherever you like. :)

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. I will continue to work out this SpacePort issue so things will be readily available from there in the future. ^_^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.