Homebrewers Unite

relin

For the last five years, I've brewed an American Amber Ale in celebration of the Super Bowl (aptly named the Lombardi Ale). I missed my opportunity this year, but it was requested for tasting at a local club event. So tomorrow, I brew! Ten gallons of my favorite anytime beer.

Anyone else brew their own beer? Or just love a good craft beer?

hey there:)

I am a homebrewer too, been brewing 'partial mash' style for 10 years.

Sold my gear (keg system/mash tun) a year ago when I moved from sydney to north queensland though. Dying to get back into it very soon as my favourite beers are so expensive nowadays.

And my favourite recipe is a very hoppy american pale ale ;)

Edited by merlinux

Well first Im a long time brewer and beer lover so Im not your average VB drinking aussie dude ahah. I hate bad beer from anywhere ;) There are heaps of micro breweries in Oz and lots of good beer made here if you look around. And the first american pale ale I have drunk is brewed in Perth, Western Australia (one of the better beer in this country), that is how I first found out about APA ;).

To tell you the truth many people in australia know of 'little creatures pale ale' but few know the style is actually an APA... hard to explain to people that beer style=/= country of origin heh heh

Homebrewing is very popular here btw. Although most people just use kits. And we also have a local forum just look for 'aussie home brewer'. And last we have our own local hop variety (pride of ringwood) and malts which arent too bad. And yeah any researched homebrewer would have heard of an APA I suppose! And most people who do All grain or partial mash have a copy of "how to brew" in their cupboard so we know the main american styles for sure!

Edited by merlinux

I homebrew too, although it's been altogether too long. I've got the ingredients to brew a five gallon batch of pumpkin spice porter, and am thinking of doing so on my next few days off. I mostly enjoy black lagers, stouts, and the occasional IPA.

I keep idly contemplating getting a still. It's not a ridiculous amount of money, but it seems like the most likely possibilities are: I'd use it 2-3 times and then it would collect dust, or I'd become a hardcore drunk. Still, sounds like fun and so much cheaper than $40/bottle for bourbon.

Brew went pretty well, considering what problems I had (partway through the mash, I realized that most of my thermometers weren't accurate and I didn't have time to calibrate). Fermentation should be started by now, but I won't get to see until this evening.

I keep idly contemplating getting a still. It's not a ridiculous amount of money, but it seems like the most likely possibilities are: I'd use it 2-3 times and then it would collect dust, or I'd become a hardcore drunk. Still, sounds like fun and so much cheaper than $40/bottle for bourbon.

watch out for revenuers

• 4 years later...

I don't care, I'm kicking this back to life.

After nearly a decade break, I found a homebrew store in the area, and I'm starting to get back into the hobby.  I've currently got a 2.5 gallon batch of mead in the secondary, and I'm wondering what to brew for my first batch back.

It's been a while, but I remember I've done a brown ale and a stout that I liked before.  I don't particularly like the flavor of hops, so I'm avoiding any IPAs.

Anyone got any good recipes for an extract brewer looking to start up again?

Does Chacha count?

Whew! Oh my! :D:cool:

I have several liters of it home here, gifts my friends bring back with them when they visit home. It can be made using any number of different fruits. The two I have; One is made from Saperavi, and the other Persimmon. While it is available for sale for tourists, all of what I have is homemade.

On 4/11/2018 at 11:39 PM, razark said:

Anyone got any good recipes for an extract brewer looking to start up again?

Not sure what styles your into, but have you thought of giving BIAB a shot? Easy way to go all grain and really the only thing you need is a somewhat larger pot and a BIAB bag.

Here's a recipe that's a favorite around these parts:

Raging Red Irish Ale

Its all grain but could easily be converted to partial mash if BIAB isn't up your alley.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:55 AM, Frybert said:

...have you thought of giving BIAB a shot?

I have not, mainly because I've never heard of it before.  Looks interesting, though.  I might have to give it a try.  It certainly opens up a lot of new options beyond the extract route.

I've wanted to try my hand at it. I'm not sure if I'd want to do an ale, a lager, or a bourbon as I enjoy all three. Now if there were a way to do my own rum... :confused:

Maybe this fall... Great thread!

Edited by adsii1970

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm not sure if I'd want to do an ale, a lager, or a bourbon as I enjoy all three.

The ale would be the easiest to start with.

Lagers need a lower temperature to ferment.  A lot of people modify refrigerators with an added temperature controller for lagers, so it's more complicated.  I've never done one yet.

Bourbon?  That's getting into distilling, and I've got no practical knowledge there.

1 minute ago, razark said:

The ale would be the easiest to start with.

Lagers need a lower temperature to ferment.  A lot of people modify refrigerators with an added temperature controller for lagers, so it's more complicated.  I've never done one yet.

The problem with ale is besides a few from Samuel Adams and a couple of German, Belgian, and Irish varieties, I'm not that much into light ales. :blush:

I mostly prefer the darker lagers...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.