[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

@RubberDucky - Thank you thank you thank you! This is my favorite of all the "purely visual" mods. It always bugged me that I couldn't see the planets from Kerbin's surface, now I can watch Duna rise while flying a jet or driving a rover.

@Benjpalmer - Did you make sure to get the 0.23.5 update to Blizzy's toolbar?

Edited by Amaroq

Could this be extended to asteroids too? Perhaps using a similar method as craft flares?

Edit: just realized it DOES work... derp

Yeah, to the game, asteroids are basically uncontrollable vessels, so luckily this mod has no issue with show them! :)

Would it be possible to dramaticly increase the flare size of the sun, so that it has some sort of blinding effect?

On the subject of the Sun, can it also be made white? It looks odd since it's basically a red dwarf now, especially distracting with RSS.

Does it work for asteroids? It would be awesome to have long streaks after asteroids entering the atmosphere!

Yes it does. Asteroids are just normal ships as far as the game is concerned.

Anybody have a list of settings that enable you to see stars at night? I can see the planets great at night but the skybox stars themselves seem to be dimmed even at night time.

Turn up minimum brightness in space center view. It's at 25% by default, I have it at 50 and it looks great.

Is it working for 0.23.5?

yes it is, i'm using it in my current save. works wonders being able to see where all the planets are, especially during an interplanetary journey. Nothing beats looking out of your window in IVA to see a small dot grow into a planetary system.

Great mod. The skybox dimming is good but too much for me. I'd like a slider to adjust the dimming. Also, the same dimming or alpha needs to be applied to the added planets and debris. They're too bright compared to the skybox.

^^ Ummm... I thought there was a slider to adjust it -- see the O.P.

(At work so I can't check my install to verify that its still there.)

that only controls how much the skybox shows up when the sky isn't dimmed (from 0 to 100%), it doesn't reduce the dimming effect at all

Hostin glowing to say watching a large glowing dot barely distinguishable from the skybox slowly grow and change into the Jool and all of its glowing moons circling around it is one of the most amazing KSP experiences ever.

Thank you

I just had to share this! Just landed a probe on Minmus, turned around to look at the star (Kerbol) and noticed...

RtbNQPTl.png

From bottom to top:

Kerbol (primary)

Mun left, Jool (greenish dot) right

Kerbin

Moho (to the upper-right of Kerbin)

I love this mod!

Since this is the best mod for helping us see things that are far away maybe something could be added to this mod to make the KSC runway easier to see from far away?

I fly lots of planes and would love to be able to see it from further off to get lined up for final approach.

Been following the thread but got out of sync somewhere.

What is the current status for the ships on rails further out. Are they currently visible or not ?

Ships on rails should be visible up to 750km - check the settings screen in the Space Center to make sure Distant Vessel Rendering is enabled

How memory intensive is this mod?

It shouldn't be very memory intensive at all, but it sucks up quite a bit of CPU atm. I'd love to go back and optimize the code at some point, but who knows if I'll ever get around to it.