[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

maybe you just clicked it?
It works for me.

I try do that bug again, it's seem fixed from 24.1, however, 10% still load random map when clicked on any button. Even zoom way out and put setting way out there, still load random time. must be mess up with other mods, beacuse I have what, 38 mods installed.

I see the same exception in 32 bit / KSP 0.24, but it doesn't crash. output_log.txt has the corresponding call stack:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at DistantObject.DarkenSky.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(snip)

This NRE is because GalaxyCubeControl.Instance is null. Wrapping the two places in DarkenSky.Awake that use that variable in != null check eliminates that NRE. I found one other one in FlareDraw.UpdateVar - FlightGlobals.currentMainBody is null at one point right after a transition (to something like the main menu? I don't remember).

... I found one other one in FlareDraw.UpdateVar - FlightGlobals.currentMainBody is null...

The NRE in FlareDraw.UpdateVar seems to be caused by a typo'd ';' on line ~195. The line reads

private void UpdateVar()
{
camPos = FlightCamera.fetch.mainCamera.transform.position;;
}

Hardly game breaking. Wrapping the calls to

GalaxyCubeControl.Instance

with a null check and recompiling against for 64bit seems to have fixed it for me.

The NRE in FlareDraw.UpdateVar seems to be caused by a typo'd ';' on line ~195. The line reads

Um, no, that isn't it, unless C# behaves differently than every other programming language I've ever used. The extra semi-colon is a no-op at worst, and compiles to nothing if the compiler's not brain-dead.

I specifically added code that wrote to the log if FlightGlobals.currentMainBody == null, and the message was in the log.

Um, no, that isn't it, unless C# behaves differently than every other programming language I've ever used. The extra semi-colon is a no-op at worst, and compiles to nothing if the compiler's not brain-dead.

I specifically added code that wrote to the log if FlightGlobals.currentMainBody == null, and the message was in the log.

Hmm... That's odd. After adding null checks on GalaxyCubeControl.Instance, the only NRE I was getting was in FlareDraw.UpdateVar and it went away after I removed that extra semi-colon. I'm not saying you're wrong, I thought it was wierd that that would cause an NRE.

Hmm... That's odd. After adding null checks on GalaxyCubeControl.Instance, the only NRE I was getting was in FlareDraw.UpdateVar and it went away after I removed that extra semi-colon. I'm not saying you're wrong, I thought it was wierd that that would cause an NRE.

can you share the dll pls?

I try do that bug again, it's seem fixed from 24.1, however, 10% still load random map when clicked on any button. Even zoom way out and put setting way out there, still load random time. must be mess up with other mods, beacuse I have what, 38 mods installed.

This is not an issue with this mod, as such, but one that many are experiencing. KSP itself is detecting the click 'through' the button you thought you were clicking on. So, if the VAB is behind that button KSP thinks you just clicked to go to the VAB. If the SPH is behind it, it thinks you clicked that, etc. etc.

@ MOARdV: if you're interested - in the CactEye mod thread Rubber Ducky is inviting PMs from any modder who wants to take this one over.

@ MOARdV: if you're interested - in the CactEye mod thread Rubber Ducky is inviting PMs from any modder who wants to take this one over.

I've actually asked rbray89 (the wizard behind Visual Enhancements) to take over this mod, and he's graciously accepted. I'm not sure if he'll roll it into VE or not; I've left that up to him.

And just to be clear, that'll be a few months down the road -- DOE needs some major work done and he has his other projects to worry about first.

In the meantime, if somebody has a patched DLL that fixes all of the NREs and other tidbits (just to be clear, the NREs have existed since the initial release due to bad coding on my part), please PM me before tomorrow and I can update the OP.

Thanks everyone!

I've actually asked rbray89 (the wizard behind Visual Enhancements) to take over this mod, and he's graciously accepted. I'm not sure if he'll roll it into VE or not; I've left that up to him.

And just to be clear, that'll be a few months down the road -- DOE needs some major work done and he has his other projects to worry about first.

In the meantime, if somebody has a patched DLL that fixes all of the NREs and other tidbits (just to be clear, the NREs have existed since the initial release due to bad coding on my part), please PM me before tomorrow and I can update the OP.

Thanks everyone!

I'm happy to hear you found someone to take this over. Best of luck with real life! :)

can you share the dll pls?

I actually don't know that I can do that. It depends on the license and I haven't read it. I'd rather not do something that might .... off the author, Rubber Ducky.

Thanks everyone!

I've enjoyed and continue to enjoy D.O.E. it really adds to the experience

Thanks for coming back and making sure everything will be taken care of, and best of luck with wheresoever you choose to go next

I actually don't know that I can do that. It depends on the license and I haven't read it. I'd rather not do something that might .... off the author, Rubber Ducky.

It's CC-BY, you're fine as long as you say Rubber Ducky was the original author:

You are free to:

Share  copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt  remix, transform, and build upon the material

for any purpose, even commercially.

Under the following terms:

Attribution  You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

Just dropping a post to thank you for your contributions and wish you all the best for the future. Glad to see someone has taken this project on as it really does improve immersion, at least for me.

^ x2. Much thanks!

I'd like to make a feature request for whoever would like to try:

A Telescope GUI option for CactEye Telescope by the same original author to disable planet flare effect from Distant Object Enhancement. Essentially, the same button from this mod's menu available only in the space center but instead on the GUI for CactEye as well.