[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

I found that the stock toolbar looks WORSE than blizzys, it looks chunky and oversized

Doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely no need for two toolbars or mod having a dependency on another mod when desired functionality is already in the game.

I have confirmed that this works with 0.24

Only if you have a new toolbar.

I really, really hope though that it won't be necessary any more as there is a toolbar in the game right now.

testing for 0.24 compatability

Update: Looks incompatible - I can't see any distant planets or spacecraft.

Not only that, on the 64 bit version it keeps throwing NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object and crashing the game. It also throws System.TypeLoadException.

I dunno why it works for me then, but I'll take it.

I am using and have always used the Linux 64 bit version of KSP. DOE seems to be working in 0.24 the same as it did on 0.23.5 for me. It always had a problem with the distant object rendering (due to insane part resizing used in other mods) but the flare effects and dynamic sky dimming are still working fine.

Will the next (.24 compliant) version be freed from dependency from Blizzy's toolbar? No offence to him or his work but there's now a stock toolbar in the game, natively supported. I like this mod and I want to keep using it and not have to worry about third party dependencies. Fair enough if you quit working on the mod, but not if someone else stops working on their mod which bricks this one.

Will the next (.24 compliant) version be freed from dependency from Blizzy's toolbar? No offence to him or his work but there's now a stock toolbar in the game, natively supported. I like this mod and I want to keep using it and not have to worry about third party dependencies. Fair enough if you quit working on the mod, but not if someone else stops working on their mod which bricks this one.

Advantage of using Blizzy's toolbar-you can hide buttons. If EVERY mod were to use the stock toolbar, it would look like ****. Maybe Blizzy will integrate his toolbar with the stock toolbar.

Nobody is making or using mods dependent on old docking mods now that docking is natively supported in stock KSP.

The docking functionality doesn't play well with multiple mods trying to put their buttons in the same place. Also: I'm using Toolbar, so therefore "nobody" is incorrect. Sir.

This doesn't work properly on 64bit. It constantly crashes the game with this error

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at DistantObject.DarkenSky.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)

UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)

AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)

AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)

This doesn't work properly on 64bit. It constantly crashes the game with this error

I met the same problem too.

Advantage of using Blizzy's toolbar-you can hide buttons. If EVERY mod were to use the stock toolbar, it would look like ****. Maybe Blizzy will integrate his toolbar with the stock toolbar.

You're talking about problem that doesn't exist. There are very very very few mods that use stock toolbar. And last thing we want is a sh1tty toolbar plugin spamming the GameData directory with something that doesn't add any new major feature into the game since now we have toolbar implemented in the stock game.

Also note that noone said that they want old version abandoned. Just give us a variant that doesn't require 3rd party plugins.

And finally - all we're asking for here is implementing a feature that was promised by the plugin developer himself:

Toolbar will be fully optional in a later update.

Now with 0.24 having stock toolbar - it's a better time for doing this than it ever was or will be.

So DuoDex - stop so avidly defending that toolbar plugin, cause there's absolutely nothing good coming out of it. You might be one of these people that collect every possible plugin that they can stumble upon but majority of people are not.

Edited by Sky_walker

...cause there's absolutely nothing good coming out of it. You might be one of these people that collect every possible plugin that they can stumble upon but majority of people are not....

Your point is valid-the stock toolbar DOES look better than Blizzy's. My point was that if EVERY plugin attaches itself to the stock toolbar, we will have...issues. Blizzy's plugin prevents that.

I run a total of 5 mods-Kethane, MechJeb, DOE, Cacteye + Dependancies, and Realchutes.

I'm currently having an issue where my targeted vessel doesn't have a reticle when I get within range (stock 100km I believe) which makes it very hard to rendezvous unless my separation is 0.0m.

Try hitting F4 and see if that helps. It is a common mistake to hit F4 when trying to quicksave (which has the effect of turning off Craft Markers)

Try hitting F4 and see if that helps. It is a common mistake to hit F4 when trying to quicksave (which has the effect of turning off Craft Markers)

I don't hardly ever quicksave, but I suppose it is possible. I'll try that out tonight.

Edit: THAT WORKED! Never even knew that shortcut existed. Thanks!

Edited by TheMariner

Is skybox dimming not disable-able for anyone else? I even closed out and checked the settings.cfg and it's changeSkybox = False but still it blacks out the skybox whenever the sun's on screen. I'm using the 64-bit player.

edit: Huh, seems to work when I quit out, edit the settings cfg, save it and reload. Weird.

Edited by Franklin

I see the same exception in 32 bit / KSP 0.24, but it doesn't crash. output_log.txt has the corresponding call stack:

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'DarkenSky' from assembly 'DistantObject'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
GameDatabase:StartLoad()
LoadingScreen:Start()

(Filename: Line: -1)