[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

Would it be too much of a stretch to extend this functionality to landed objects? That way you can establish bases, and see lit dots on the ground corresponding with their location at night time?

It's a bit more complicated, as at farther distances, the terrain around it is lower detail and might obscure it. Besides, the only time bases would be brighter than the surrounding surface is if they have the lights on during the night, and I'm not sure how bright that'd look from far away.

Putting little blips of light on the surface would probably do it just fine.

What I would REALLY like to see is planetary/eclipse shadows. Had a bit of confusion yesterday when my brightly-lit craft wasn't charging from solar panels. Turned out Kerbin was in the way.

Ah, will add some indicators in the GUI for the next update. Thanks!

Thanks for looking at that -- I see what Rubber Ducky was asking -- some of the 'enable' buttons seem to indicate that the feature is "on" while others seem to imply you need to click it to switch that feature on.

If I put debris visible the game produces some type of bug during launch at some altitude point, and my ships are shooted out (uncontrollables) from kerbol system at VERY high speeds.

I'm the only one?

If I put debris visible the game produces some type of bug during launch at some altitude point, and my ships are shooted out (uncontrollables) from kerbol system at VERY high speeds.

I'm the only one?

No, the warning is written in the first post.

Does this new update dim stars only in stock, or does it work with custom skyboxes also such as, say, Universe Replacer?

It should work with any custom skybox as well. It also has an overall sky brightness slider, which was made pretty much entirely for custom skyboxes (all the good ones are wayyy too bright IMO).

Does this new update dim stars only in stock, or does it work with custom skyboxes also such as, say, Universe Replacer?

Yes it definitely works with custom skyboxes, I'd highly recommend switching to texture replacer over universe replacer, tripled my framerate when I switched but you will need to rename your textures.

this mod is great, but for some reason rendering distant vessels refuses to work at all. the flares show up just fine but that's all I get. I don't know what might be conflicting with it, yet. no crashes, but zooming in simply shows nothing.

this mod is great, but for some reason rendering distant vessels refuses to work at all. the flares show up just fine but that's all I get. I don't know what might be conflicting with it, yet. no crashes, but zooming in simply shows nothing.

You might need to enable it in settings, I know that (for some versions at least) the distant object rendering is turned off by default.

You might need to enable it in settings, I know that (for some versions at least) the distant object rendering is turned off by default.

I got the latest version and checked the settings just to make sure, the render distance slider shows up so I assume that means its enabled?

I have the latest Toolbar installed but for some reason this mod is not showing up under "Show Visible Buttons" so I can't access the settings. Any ideas?

It just show's up at the 1 part where your looking at all the building hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

is this a bad thing? It shows up even when I only have Toolbar, MM and Distant Object in the GameData folder

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'DarkenSky' from assembly 'DistantObject'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at DistantObject.DarkenSky.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
GameDatabase:StartLoad()
LoadingScreen:Start()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at DistantObject.DarkenSky.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)

(Filename: Line: -1)

Getting this with ARM now.

Working fine for me.

It worked for me, too. Although the asteroid glowed really bright when I was still distant - it got much dimmer when the model loaded at 2.5km. Maybe 1.4 can do something to change the brightness of VesselType.SpaceObject.