Succesfull landing on EVE

gilflo

not bad, but I used a much smaller rocket but I didn't plan on returning.

parachutes work well in eve atmosphere,

I made this design to embark all the science stuff and sensors. Sensors are at Kerbal height so that he can retrieves science by walking around the ship. So that's why the whole ship is this weight.

I've also been working on an Eve return craft. I'm using FAR and deadly reentry...I'm sure the latter makes it harder but not sure about the former. Anyway, I've been tweaking and testing and keep getting closer to a perfect craft, but it got to the point where my computer can't handle it anymore while keeping it fun.

I'm going to to try to break it apart and put the science on a whole separate craft for that reason.

I've also been working on an Eve return craft. I'm using FAR and deadly reentry...I'm sure the latter makes it harder but not sure about the former. Anyway, I've been tweaking and testing and keep getting closer to a perfect craft, but it got to the point where my computer can't handle it anymore while keeping it fun.

I'm going to to try to break it apart and put the science on a whole separate craft for that reason.

From what I've seen, FAR makes atmospheric entry more difficult due to the changed aerodynamic model, which reduces drag and makes you more likely to go splat if you enter too steeply.

Here are the settings which allows the launch of a 1200 pieces ship on my iMac 2,8Ghz core i5 ATI radeon HD5750 1024 Mo

b4wp.png

I've also been working on an Eve return craft. I'm using FAR and deadly reentry...I'm sure the latter makes it harder but not sure about the former.

I have played with FAR for the most time I have played KSP, so I could be mistaken, but as I see it, FAR makes reentry harder as it may flip your craft depending on its drag profile, making a heat shield worthless by exosing the craft.

But that might happen in stock atmosphere too, not sure.

I don't think stock atmosphere is dangerous.During my very first attempt to land on EVE, a part of my vessel was broken when I separate the lower stage, the ship flipped up and down while burning in the atmosphere, but and I let him go and he stabilized himself and I land it manually using parachutes and engines at the very end, less than 50m from ground. The landing was successful, even with missing part of the ship (some tanks and engines), but not at the right place. So, now, my Kerbal is stuck there, (not enough DV and ship is asymmetrical and therefore not able to fly) until I send a rescue mission and I have an idea for that.

Even FAR atmosphere is not dangerous in regards to reentry heat, thats what DRE is for. :)

But I am not sure if stock atmosphere makes your craft spin around by either an undesirable profile of the hull or missing fins/wings (to keep it oriented the way you want it to be like it is sometimes useful when using FAR).

FAR and DE combine to make re-entry awkward at times. The real key is to aerobrake slowly. You can't do the manic plunge of stock KSP.

The other thing I like to do is have the parachutes partially open very high to assist in the aerobrake before the atmo gets dense enough to fry my craft. If you do it right no heatshield is needed, but it's delicate.

I got the following message when embarking in my MK1 lander: Experiments you have collected cannot be stored in that MK1 lander can !!!!

That's stupid ! I did not even know that I need a particular lander to store experiments.

HELP: what do I need to store experiments ???

I got the following message when embarking in my MK1 lander: Experiments you have collected cannot be stored in that MK1 lander can !!!!

Well false alert, it was just the experiments I did during flight.

I am ready for take off to orbit, then I'll have to wait a shuttle pusher to dock on in order to fly back to Kerbin.

What kind of DV would one need to reach LEO from the top of its atmosphere? I planned on doing a manned land and return as well, but with air balloons instead. I'd have the rocket lift off from this floating launch pad to save myself part count and frames per second.

That's stupid ! I did not even know that I need a particular lander to store experiments.

HELP: what do I need to store experiments ???

You don't need a particular lander. This would indicate there is at least one duplicate that would get involved. For example, maybe you already did an EVA report and you're about to bring another one back. When in doubt, quicksave, get in the lander, and then right click and "review stored data". You should see it all there, probably minus one duplicate.

Hi,

first, congratulations on your successful landing!

What i don't understand is how a TWR of 1.6 could lift you up on a planet with a gravity of 1.7g ? :confused:

At KSP i need a TWR of 1 to hover the craft in place, so wouldn't i need a TWR of at least 1.7 to get off Eve ground?

greetings

Ben

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.