[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

I find problem. When i use new FAR and AJE 2+ is problem with terminal velocity and bc parametrs. Standard capsule hiting Kerbin with speed Mach>1 (normal <200m/s). This look as bug on FAR - AJE

Fixed with new FAR.

Do you have a download zip with the actual dll built? or is this mod too dangerous to send out like that? ;)

never mind - you should consider renaming the zip file to something like "release". Listing it as source code implies it's not compiled, at least, it did to me. Maybe I'm dumb though.

Edited by DivisionByZero

First off, thank you camlost! I haven't played with AJE for long but so far it is fun! It got my F-4 clone to Mach 2+ at 12k M (I didn't get a shot of it at altitude but here it is waiting in the hanger.)

HPRtiCx.jpg

I do have a question. Right now the model above is using F100s or F101s, I saw there are J79s and I would love to use those but they are not a standard diameter. I was wondering if AJE users could recommend fuel tank/fuselage mods that might better fit these odd sized engines. I tried TweakScale but that does not seem to support custom diameters and I have not had time to see if I can get it to do custom sizes. This minor issue with diameters got me thinking, this mod could easily support a "lite" version that would only use stock diameters and pair down the number of engines to one analogous engine per model. If there is any interest in a "lite" version for other users that primarily use stock diameters, I would be glad to add it as an option for AJE.

Edited by burntartichoke

I'm not at my computer so I can't put one up for you but I've never understood the odd sizes either. Camlost has said it was for realism or accuracy some time ago. The good news is a patch is very easy to make, just need to strip out the resize from each part.

The information on tweakscale is pretty easy to follow. I believe you can set up a new arbitrary size scaling by setting it to "free" (there are examples on the tweakscale page). Alternatively, you can set specific sizes and parameter scalings. I'd suggest giving it a try first.

Hi I've downloaded this mod 2 days ago & I have a little Problem. Whenever I use a Jet Engine (the stock ones & the ones that come with the mod) the sound seems to be stuck on full throttle wherever the actual throttle is and whatever the thrust or speed is. As soon as they are activated they sound like they're on full throttle and even light up like they're going full speed (although no smoke is comming out . I use current Versions of FAR (V0.14.6) and AJE (V2.0.2). Did I install AJE wrong or is this wanted. Currently the AJE folder is directly in the Gamedata folder (KSP\GameData\AJE).

It's not the end of the world but it's rather confusing with an engine sound like that and an engines which is running in idle.

Help would really be appreciated :)

I saw a long way back that there were thoughts of doing procedural engines which could get around the diameter issue but that is probably still a long way down the road. As for the resizing, I figured as much; now to see if my changes do what I think they do.

I don't want to detract too much from the main topic so please tell me if I am overstepping my bounds here but I would really appreciate some double checking on what I have started so far. I got started on a "lite version" and KAX, Squad and Baha parts to work successfully but when I got to B9 it all seems to have fallen apart.

{

!mesh
MODEL
{
model = B9_Aerospace/Parts/Engine_Jet_Turbojet/model
texture = model000, AJE/RftS/Brown
scale = 1.0, 0.75, 1.0
}
@mass = 1.74
@description = The first "Mach 2" engine, it is a prolific engine powering many fast aircraft. Turbojet capable of sustained supersonic flight without permanent damage to the engine thanks to advanced materials in use. Probably without. It is analogous to the J79 found in the B-58, F-104 and F-4. 79.63kN wet, 52.8kN dry. SFC 0.84/1.97 lb/lbf-hr static. Temperature limit Mach 2.6.
%CoMOffset = 0, 2, 0
%node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
!MODULE[AJEModule]
{
}

MODULE
{
name = AJEModule
Area = 0.29
BPR = 0
CPR = 13.5
FPR = 0
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.7
FHV = 28000000
TIT = 1360
TAB = 2500
exhaustMixer = True
maxThrust = 150
maxT3 = 900
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=79.63
}

}

+PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Turbojet]:FOR[AJE]:FINAL
{

{
!mesh
MODEL
{
texture = model000, AJE/RftS/Black
}
@name = aje_yj93
@title = XD-93J3 Turbojet Engine
@mass = 2.368
@description = Augmented turbojet capable of sustained supercruise without permanent damage to the engine thanks to advanced materials in use. Probably without. Perfect choice when brute force is required. Slow RPM change necessitates longer than usual takeoff roll and landing approaches, but is otherwise a non-issue. Design similar to the YJ79 in the Mach 3 XB-70. Variable CPR from 9.5 to 3.5 due to variable incidence stators; stator rotation begins at Mach 2, reaching least angle of attack at Mach 3.1. 124.6kN wet, 88.6kN dry. SFC 0.7/1.8 lb/lbf-hr static. Temperature limit Mach 3.5.
%CoMOffset = 0, 3.5, 0

MODULE
{
name = AJEModule
Area = 0.6
BPR = 0
CPR = 9.5
FPR = 0
Mdes = 0.3
Tdes = 280
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.7
FHV = 22500000
TIT = 1150
TAB = 1750
exhaustMixer = True
maxThrust = 999999
maxT3 = 9999
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=124.6 // 88.6 dry
}

}

+PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Turbojet]:FOR[AJE]:FINAL
{
!mesh
MODEL
{
texture = model000, AJE/RftS/Silver
scale = 1.0, 0.25, 1.0
}
@name = aje_atar
@title = D-9A50 Turbojet Engine
@mass = 1.582
@description = Early afterburning turbojet. Comparitively low overall pressure ratio (6.2) leads to high fuel consumption but good high-speed performance. 70.6kN wet, 49.18kN dry. SFC 0.98/1.99 lb/lbf-hr static. Temperature limit Mach 2.8.
%CoMOffset = 0, 3, 0
%node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
!MODULE[AJEModule]
{
}

MODULE
{
name = AJEModule
Area = 0.29
BPR = 0
CPR = 6.2
FPR = 0
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.8
FHV = 30000000
TIT = 1360
TAB = 2500
exhaustMixer = True
maxThrust = 150
maxT3 = 900
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=70.6
}

}

@PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Turbofan_F119]:FOR[AJE]
{

@title = D-119F Turbojet Engine
@mass = 1.77
@description = State-of-art afterburning low-bypass turbofan engine capable of sustained supercruise speeds. Higher bypass than other low-bypass turbofans and high efficiency leads to higher than usual dry:wet thrust ratio and excellent efficiency: the engine is designed for supercruise (supersonic flight on dry thrust). Fitted with latest in thrust vectoring technology, this engine provides extreme pitch authority, and, if multiple engines are present, outstanding roll authority. Obvious choice whenever superior maneuverability is desired. Estimated performance based on best available information. 155.4kN wet, 100.4kN dry. SFC 0.74/1.75 lb/lbf-hr static. Temperature limit Mach 2.55.

%CoMOffset = 0, 2, 0

MODULE //wet SFC = 1.4 here
{
name = AJEModule
Area = 0.35
BPR = 0.45
CPR = 35
FPR = 3
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.7
FHV = 27000000
TIT = 1970
TAB = 2350
exhaustMixer = True
maxThrust = 250
maxT3 = 1200
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=155.4
}

}

@PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Pod_Small]:FOR[AJE]
{
@mass = 2.15
@description = Small and reliable low-bypass subsonic turbofan. Suitable for wide variety of tasks, from powering crew transports to small cargo airplanes. Use small structural pylons for attachment. The TFE731 i similar to the JT8D series low-bypass turbofan that powers B717, B727, B737, DC-9, and MD-80 families. 93.4kN thrust, SFC 0.519 lb/lbf-hr.

!MODULE[AJEModule]
{
}

MODULE
{
name = AJEModule
Area = 0.35
BPR = 1.72
CPR = 20
FPR = 1.9
Mdes = 0.8
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 28000000
TIT = 1350
TAB = 0
exhaustMixer = False
maxThrust = 120
maxT3 = 800
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=93.4
}

}
@PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Pod_Medium]:FOR[AJE]
{
@mass = 2.4
@description = Powerful and reliable high-bypass subsonic turbofan, one of the most popular designs in it's class. Capable of performing wide variety of tasks with extreme efficiency, from powering medium transport aircraft and medium crew transports. This powerplant parallels the CFM56 series high turbofan that powers the B737 and A320 civil aircrafts. 142.3kN thrust, SFC 0.360 lb/lbf-hr.

MODULE
{
name = AJEModule
Area = 0.35
BPR = 5.4
CPR = 33.7
FPR = 1.8
Mdes = 0.8
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 24000000
TIT = 1400
TAB = 0
exhaustMixer = False
maxThrust = 180
maxT3 = 950
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=142.3
}

}

@PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Turbojet]:FOR[AJE]

I appreciate any help.

The sound is odd yes, as a result of using real throttle instead of stock's linear throttle. We probably need another plugin to make it right.

About engine size, they really shouldn't be all 1.25m. I recommend Procedural Parts or use this patch for tweakscale

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[TweakScale]]:Final
{
!MODULE[TweakScale]{}

}

@PART[*]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[WingManipulator]]:Final
{
!MODULE[TweakScale]{}

}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralPart]]:Final
{
!MODULE[TweakScale]{}

}

@PART[Kz*]:Final
{
!MODULE[TweakScale]{}

}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel]]:Final
{
!MODULE[TweakScale]{}

}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FARControllableSurface]]:Final
{
!MODULE[TweakScale]{}

}

What's the problem with B9?

Thanks for posting that code for TweakScale, I will take another look at it. The B9 issue is not with your mod. I was tailoring AJE to use stock sizes and pair down to some generic engines that parallel real ones, as an effort to make a lite version with less duplication of the models. I ran into a snag when pairing down the B9 parts, some models show up, others don't, I haven't modded KSP enough to know where the fault is in the edits I made (I'm better with textures than code unfortunately). Although I might drop this "lite" idea and try my hand at some other coding if tweak scale does what I want. I have not seen anyone mention these turboprops so I will try my hand at adding these to AJE.

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

[ERR 16:22:25.341] Cannot find module 'ModuleEngines' (1856740933)

[LOG 16:22:25.342] EngineWrapper: engine type is ModuleEngineFX
[EXC 16:22:25.343] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AJE.AJEModule.Start ()
[ERR 16:22:26.111] Cannot find module 'ModuleEngines' (1856740933)

[LOG 16:22:26.112] EngineWrapper: engine type is ModuleEngineFX
[EXC 16:22:26.112] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AJE.AJEModule.Start ()
[LOG 16:22:26.127] [SmokeScreen ModelMultiParticlePersistFX] OnDestroy
[LOG 16:22:26.127] [SmokeScreen ModelMultiParticlePersistFX] OnDestroy
[ERR 16:22:26.729] Cannot find module 'ModuleEngines' (1856740933)

[LOG 16:22:26.730] EngineWrapper: engine type is ModuleEngineFX
[EXC 16:22:26.730] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AJE.AJEModule.Start ()

Not sure if this caused a crash, but any reason why I should be getting this?

Good mod, but plz, author, tweak fuel consumption with stock (no fuel mods) cuz now jets is unplayable.

My fuel burn-out in under a minute on supersonic!!! ...?!

I can agree with 30.000 isp is ridiculous, but what i have now isn't better.

Good mod, but plz, author, tweak fuel consumption with stock (no fuel mods) cuz now jets is unplayable.

My fuel burn-out in under a minute on supersonic!!! ...?!

I can agree with 30.000 isp is ridiculous, but what i have now isn't better.

The way it is right now is realistic, and usually manageable once you get used to it. Still though, I agree that it can be quite a barrier for new players interested in this mod. Perhaps a global Isp multiplier could be introduced - it would be set to 1 by default but could be increased to make fuel consumption more inline with stock. I'm going to take a look at adding a few features to AJE in a week or two. I think I know how to implement this, so if no one else gets to it I'll take a look then.

I absolutely refuse to do that

Fine, fine. I know that fixing the stock multiplier is a major feature of AJE, but the difficulty curve is probably keeping a lot of people out of AJE. I see it like aero failures in FAR - not something that many people including myself have any problem with, but something that will deter some if it can't be turned off. But if you say so...

I absolutely refuse to do that

I agree, I played with out real fuels for a long time simply because I dont like the idea of "forgetting" my mono prop, (ruined a whole mission for me) and actually just picked it back up for my first try at RSS. BUT on topic.... I have had no ploblem getting range out of any plane I've built (even using stock fuel), even with one tank, when flown "RIGHT"....here is a tip, AB is not ment as an all the time thing, gain speed and altitude only using AB if you have one of thous contracts for 18,000+ surveys...when done right planes can cruise at super sonic, my survey plane cruises at mach 1.2-1.4 at 8,000-11,000 meters with full cruise throttle, or half the throttle indicator, and a 17,000 service ceiling at mach 2.1 with AB, my highest hop being 22,000+. AJE has a bit of a learning curve...but so does stock KSP you'll get it.

Now that i'm getting into spaceplanes, this looks like a really useful mod :)

Going to try it out!

Cheers!

This is actually the anti-spaceplane mod. lol

actually, there's a ramjet in the mod - is there a scramjet as well? Some wiki-hole trip of mine reminded me that those engines can hit much higher velocities than even ramjets.

Only cuz seems fule consumption for stock not tweaked.

Mk1 jet fuel tank have 150 fuel units on stock. And basic JE with this mod eat 1.5 unts per second without afterburner and 2-3 (mb 4) times more with afterburner.

It cause that you out of fuel in average of ~2 minutes.

I dunno real planes, which cant fly more than 2 minutes.

Yes, i can understand that afterburner is very expensive, but loosing whole fuel in a single minute... sorry, it's ridiculous.

Although, overall principels of engines work much, much better than stock.

Edited by Master Tao
merge double post

This is actually the anti-spaceplane mod. lol

actually, there's a ramjet in the mod - is there a scramjet as well? Some wiki-hole trip of mine reminded me that those engines can hit much higher velocities than even ramjets.

SCRamJet is very different, thus cannot be done at the moment.

Only cuz seems fule consumption for stock not tweaked.

Mk1 jet fuel tank have 150 fuel units on stock. And basic JE with this mod eat 1.5 unts per second without afterburner and 2-3 (mb 4) times more with afterburner.

It cause that you out of fuel in average of ~2 minutes.

I dunno real planes, which cant fly more than 2 minutes.

Yes, i can understand that afterburner is very expensive, but loosing whole fuel in a single minute... sorry, it's ridiculous.

Although, overall principels of engines work much, much better than stock.

In reality, an F-16, which uses 1 x F-100 turbofan as well, has 3000kg internal fuel, compared to 750 kg from one mk1 fuselage (you seriously only have one fuselage then? your TWR must be around 3 then. Real, not real?) Yet full afterburner at sea level does not last long.

SCRamJet is very different, thus cannot be done at the moment.

In reality, an F-16, which uses 1 x F-100 turbofan as well, has 3000kg internal fuel, compared to 750 kg from one mk1 fuselage (you seriously only have one fuselage then? your TWR must be around 3 then. Real, not real?) Yet full afterburner at sea level does not last long.

Ok...run this test for me then if you have doubts of AJE's fuel usage... Download RF, but don't install it yet.

Make a simple test plane...let's say a launch clap, a tank an intake and what ever engine you want.

Run the engine at full thrust +AB until the tank is empty record the time it took, do the same with out AB

Install RF and run the test again. Then come here and complain