[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

Well, the B9_sabre.cfg in GameData/AJE does have an entry for RSS, modifying closed cycle thrust to 1350kN from 740 in the original part.cfg, so I am not sure whether thrust in air breathing mode is now deserving of a buff or not... I have no idea.

Thanks Nathankell!

I just finished redoing the cylinder model (the previous model had no cylinder head). Took a while, but it was worth it. Here's a picture of it on the Shvetsov M63 with a Townend ring:

YB1eBXc.png

I also got a texture for wooden blades done; this image is the Liberty L12:

ZRTDfBa.png

I'm going to redo the cowl models, which will take anywhere from 1-7 days depending on how much trouble I have animating the cowl vents and how much college work I have to do. After that, it will just be a matter of setting up the cfg files for all the engines.

Hello,

First time trying this mod, so I may be missing something, I'm attempting to use one of the jet engines added by the mod, but on the runway the thrust is always 0. am I missing something?

There is enough intake since the engine doesnt flameout, just thrust is always 0.

Im using the lastest version in 0.90.

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

First time trying this mod, so I may be missing something, I'm attempting to use one of the jet engines added by the mod, but on the runway the thrust is always 0. am I missing something?

There is enough intake since the engine doesnt flameout, just thrust is always 0.

Thanks for any help.

AJE engines won't flame out if there isn't enough intake. Does the intake area read 100% when you right click the engine?

Hello,

Thanks for any help.

On inlets, pls read the OP.

Minor possible issue: The maximum fuel fractions for the RAPIER and SABRE should be limited stoichiometrically to 5.0% and 2.58% respectively (whereas they can get much higher in AJE). Reducing the afterburner temperatures 2027K and 2560K respectively ensures that this doesn't happen, or code could be added to ensure that this doesn't happen (I can do this if you want). On the other hand, this would significantly nerf the thrust (particularly at low speeds near sea level), and a turbojet isn't necessarily an accurate model for those engines anyway, so maybe it shouldn't be changed. Just thought I'd mention it though.

I tired out a propeller from KAX, but had several problems with it. I'm sure at least one is my lack of understanding but I want to know if any of this is intended behavior or something else is conflicting. First off, when I started the prop at zero throttle it started up, then died out and wouldn't restart without reverting to launch. So, I tried pushing the throttle up to full and as soon as I pressed space the place started moving forwards, became uncontrollable and veered off to the left. I thought maybe the landing gear was positioned badly so I moved it to the fuselage from the wings and it proceeded to perform the same maneuver.

As far as I can tell the hard pulling to the left and the instant application of thrust are probably not intended, but it could obviously just be a limitation in how the propellers are handled. Like I said, I'm trying to figure out if this is expected or if something might be conflicting, any thoughts?

Are you using the DefaultThrottle mod? Starting a prop engine at 0% throttle as set by DefaultThrottle seems to put it in a permanent flame-out state. If I move the throttle before starting it works fine, even if I move the throttle back to zero. After changing my DefaultThrottle setting to 100% I have no more problems.

I haven't used the KAX props to know if they apply any torque to the plane.

Unfortunately no. Since AJE includes KAX configs, I figured I'd give it a try but as I said I think either it's a limitation of props in game or something is wrong. I appreciate the advice though. I didn't know that props might apply torque, it is feasible the plane was too light then.

Camlost, Nathankell,

The piston engine models I've been working on are complete and ready to use. Would you prefer:

A. That I start a new thread for the engines?

B. To have them integrated into AJE?

In a separate pack I think

What is this, an engine for ants?

screenshot31_zps5759fca6.png

Anyway, it looks like the stock contracts are really out of balance with AJE - I was testing that engine at 23km and 550 m/s, which translates to almost no dynamic pressure and hence lift, control authority, or thrust. Not quite sure how that would be modified - maybe I'll look into it at some point.

Also, I've made some progress on implementing variable bypass engines. I'm still not quite sure whether it should be a separate module or integrated into the existing AJEModule though. Any thoughts?

What is this, an engine for ants?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj251/blowfishpro/KSP/screenshot31_zps5759fca6.png

Anyway, it looks like the stock contracts are really out of balance with AJE - I was testing that engine at 23km and 550 m/s, which translates to almost no dynamic pressure and hence lift, control authority, or thrust. Not quite sure how that would be modified - maybe I'll look into it at some point.

Also, I've made some progress on implementing variable bypass engines. I'm still not quite sure whether it should be a separate module or integrated into the existing AJEModule though. Any thoughts?

In the AJEModule, same way as variable CPR used to work.

In the AJEModule, same way as variable CPR used to work.

Is it reasonable to have bypass set just based on one parameter (mach number) without any user input? It would prevent you from, say, opening bypass doors on the runway in order to increase take-off thrust, and various other use cases.

bs1110101: looks like you're running in DX11. Bad idea.

This seems to have fixed everything, and at the cost of not much more memory. Still odd, as i have no other problems with dx11.

The dx11 incompatibility should be listed in the thread and/or in the readme, now that we know it causes this.

One question about all the parts that comes with this mod..

there are suppose to be new parts, or they are just remplacements to the game and other mods parts?

If that is the thing, why it does not use module manager for that?

Because I dont wanna have too many parts, but I am not sure if I need to delete the parts from the others mods that are clone.

It does use module manager to create new parts out of the parts from other mods. It contains a few of it's own textures as well, but all in all the additional parts barely take up any space in memory.

yeah but the memory space is not my only concern..

i dont like to have many parts in my menu. I enjoy having the lower number of parts to do anything I want. In this case these new parts are very similar.

So... how can I remove them if I wanna keep only those parts that came with the mods that I install (which I also delete some parts of them)?

Because it seems that not only adds new parts, also adds those parts that I remove from other mods.

I guess if this is a physsics mod changer.. then it just need to change the parameters of each engine we have, not add nothing new.

In any case those new parts may come as optional.

I tired out a propeller from KAX, but had several problems with it. I'm sure at least one is my lack of understanding but I want to know if any of this is intended behavior or something else is conflicting. First off, when I started the prop at zero throttle it started up, then died out and wouldn't restart without reverting to launch. So, I tried pushing the throttle up to full and as soon as I pressed space the place started moving forwards, became uncontrollable and veered off to the left. I thought maybe the landing gear was positioned badly so I moved it to the fuselage from the wings and it proceeded to perform the same maneuver.

As far as I can tell the hard pulling to the left and the instant application of thrust are probably not intended, but it could obviously just be a limitation in how the propellers are handled. Like I said, I'm trying to figure out if this is expected or if something might be conflicting, any thoughts?

Having the same problem.

If you touch down with 0% throttle, and then adding throttle, it would flame out too.