[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

Seems like my sometimes bad english made it a bit confusing (its rather late in europe^^'):

I've had the correct version (1031), which fixes the exact loading issue. I did chose to overwrote the old RealFuels folder, tho, when I should have first removed it before updating.

It was just a mistake in installing the mod, it works after removing/reinstalling RF.

Edited by Temeter

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running the newest versions of KSP, FAR, AJE and KAX and unfortunately the electric propellers from KAX don't work. They flame out immediately with "out of fuel". I do have electric charge on the plane.

Have you tried without AJE ? Perhaps latest KAX release does not have proper MM patch what AJE tries to apply, giving wrong fuel resource somehow.

If problem still exist after AJE removal there could be problem with your craft design. Not all parts allow electicity crossfeed.

You may need to place batteries next to engine is some craft designs. It will be hard to guess reason for developers without slightly more info.

A light aircraft engine would be very appreciated. Keep up the good work! :)

(I mean, a light prop for light aircraft, think STOL. Not quite a Fieseler Storch, but maybe an Hs 126...?)

EDIT: And if there is one, what mod is it in? Thanks! :)

Edited by Naten

KAX has some turboprops. With AJE, the smallest of them has 680 peak HP (more like 450 in practice) and weighs 350 kg. That's close enough for small planes for me, but if it's too big you could edit it to reduce power and weight a bit and get a decent approximation of a light engine.

A light aircraft engine would be very appreciated. Keep up the good work! :)

(I mean, a light prop for light aircraft, think STOL. Not quite a Fieseler Storch, but maybe an Hs 126...?)

EDIT: And if there is one, what mod is it in? Thanks! :)

SXT has four light aircraft engines: Continental IO-550, Merlin, and two variants of the Junkers Jumo. Also there's a Beech Bonanza-lookalike cabin I'm fond of. He doesn't have pics or talk about them in his main post, but they're in there: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79542-1-0-4-SXT-Lack-s-Stock-Extension-N-1-and-Aero-update-SXT-20-6-05JUL15-KSC-v3

Thanks, but I found that the PT6 is now replacing the AeroSport engine that was previously in there, so now it's all balanced ^^

For some reason, once I throttle down the engine stops. Also, I can't start it up again, is there a way to turn on the magnetos?

EDIT: In addition, the KAX electric motor doesn't work. It says flameout, no fuel. However, I added a battery and even a fuel tank. Even with the infinite fuel cheat it does not work.

EDIT2: Oh god I checked debug, and it's throwing nullref's

Edited by Naten

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've installed this great mod yesterday and found out some troubles.

The first one isn't that much of a problem but ... well, intake from the mod b9 ain't taking into account for the area inlet. The reason is quite simple, in the .cfg part, the @ before 'name' was forgotten. After adding it, it was perfect.

(Shame on you blowfish, you're managing both of them and didn't even saw that =p)

Perfect or so I thought ... after finally making my futur to be SSTO and going into Orbit, I had quite the shock ... when my engine didn't start back after the re-entry.

So, going into details. I've made a SSTO with SABRE (the S version). For the take-off, no problem, the engine start running and I can fly 'till I need to switch to CloseMode. When I'm still low enough, I can switch between CloseMode and AirBreathing without any issues. But Once I've past the limit (about 35.000 I think), The AirBreathing mode won't work again, saying a hard to believe 'no fuel' .... WRONG !!!! è.é

I've tried to search what could be the issue but still haven't found anything T.T (Just that there is no flow whatsoever)

And so since I had those trouble, I tried with another configuration : 2 LV-T45 and 2 J-58-P4 ...

Another wrong turn, couldn't even take-off ... Even though it was the same plane as before and I just changed the engines, after the take-off, my plane goes into a flat spine oO

It's like one engine was putting much thrust than the other ...

I've tried to look at the center of mass, center of thrust and whatever but ain't been able to see a reason.

So ... keeping the same plane, I used 2 General Electric YJ93-GE-3-Turbojet instead of the J-58-P4 ... and was finally able to take-off (and can prove that this plane is stable !!!), and was able to go to space ... but ... wait, what's the ...? Why is this engine still active ?.? Oh ... past the 70k, it's okay, he shut-down .... and ... okay, under this limit, he activates himself ....

I'm ... lost ! No, it's definitely too absurd there ....

It's true that the engine is getting hot astonishly quickly so you can't really use it at this altitude but ... well ... still, really ? Don't know for a real engine though (don't even know if someone has tried this absurdity XD).

I think I've said all I can to help and hope to see a fix soon T.T

Good luck and may the force be with you Blowfish (I tried looking at the source but since I don't know the game API nor how to debug with this game, I stopped quickly XD I'll search better once I'll try to make my own mod =p)

Hi there,

I've installed this great mod yesterday and found out some troubles.

The first one isn't that much of a problem but ... well, intake from the mod b9 ain't taking into account for the area inlet. The reason is quite simple, in the .cfg part, the @ before 'name' was forgotten. After adding it, it was perfect.

(Shame on you blowfish, you're managing both of them and didn't even saw that =p)

The B9 configs look fine to me. If something is broken, you most likely don't have the latest version. Try downloading the latest from Github. Also, if you're going to try to report issues like this, please be more specific. If you had said which intake specifically wasn't working, I could have told you for sure whether it was a real bug/ whether it was fixed alrea

Perfect or so I thought ... after finally making my futur to be SSTO and going into Orbit, I had quite the shock ... when my engine didn't start back after the re-entry.

So, going into details. I've made a SSTO with SABRE (the S version). For the take-off, no problem, the engine start running and I can fly 'till I need to switch to CloseMode. When I'm still low enough, I can switch between CloseMode and AirBreathing without any issues. But Once I've past the limit (about 35.000 I think), The AirBreathing mode won't work again, saying a hard to believe 'no fuel' .... WRONG !!!! è.é

I've tried to search what could be the issue but still haven't found anything T.T (Just that there is no flow whatsoever)

There are issues with the fuel flow code currently, and this might be related.

And so since I had those trouble, I tried with another configuration : 2 LV-T45 and 2 J-58-P4 ...

Another wrong turn, couldn't even take-off ... Even though it was the same plane as before and I just changed the engines, after the take-off, my plane goes into a flat spine oO

It's like one engine was putting much thrust than the other ...

I've tried to look at the center of mass, center of thrust and whatever but ain't been able to see a reason.

Use the right click menus to see if the engines are actually not producing thrust. Otherwise it's likely an aerodynamic issue.

So ... keeping the same plane, I used 2 General Electric YJ93-GE-3-Turbojet instead of the J-58-P4 ... and was finally able to take-off (and can prove that this plane is stable !!!), and was able to go to space ... but ... wait, what's the ...? Why is this engine still active ?.? Oh ... past the 70k, it's okay, he shut-down .... and ... okay, under this limit, he activates himself ....

I'm ... lost ! No, it's definitely too absurd there ....

It's true that the engine is getting hot astonishly quickly so you can't really use it at this altitude but ... well ... still, really ? Don't know for a real engine though (don't even know if someone has tried this absurdity XD).

We should probably add a flameout condition for low pressure, but other than that there's no reason why an engine wouldn't function. Thrust is proportional to static pressure, so they will just generate negligible thrust. Additionally, those engines should overheat past mach 3.5 or so, and if you're going that slow at 70 km then there's something very weird about your ascent path.

The B9 configs look fine to me. If something is broken, you most likely don't have the latest version. Try downloading the latest from Github. Also, if you're going to try to report issues like this, please be more specific. If you had said which intake specifically wasn't working, I could have told you for sure whether it was a real bug/ whether it was fixed alrea

Hum, sorry ... I should have been more specific. It's the case for all the inlets of B9.

The cause is that in the B9.cfg, it's written "name = AJEInlet" instead of "@name = AJEInlet".

As a result, there is no area inlet associated when placing them.

I have the last version and I've just tried downloaded it again on Github and it's still the case (version 2.2.1, with both the one with and without the source)

And I've already changed it in my .cfg so it's ok for me, it's more for the others than I'm telling you that ^^

There are issues with the fuel flow code currently, and this might be related.

Yeah I thought so ... but since I'm not familiar with the code of the mods (more than one are related there), I wasn't able to pinpoint the problem.

Oh, I forgot to say that the problem is the same with the R.A.P.I.E.R.

Use the right click menus to see if the engines are actually not producing thrust. Otherwise it's likely an aerodynamic issue.

That's what I wanted to do .... the sole problem is that .... I don't even have the time XD

I mean ... after it goes into flat spine, clicking on the engine ain't that easy and I crash before being able to do so >.<

I'll try again tonight and tell you the resultat, if I can do it ...

Surprisingly, I don't remember the plane making a turn while landed ... I need to make sure.

We should probably add a flameout condition for low pressure, but other than that there's no reason why an engine wouldn't function. Thrust is proportional to static pressure, so they will just generate negligible thrust. Additionally, those engines should overheat past mach 3.5 or so, and if you're going that slow at 70 km then there's something very weird about your ascent path.

True enough. Even though I was able to activate it, I had to shut it down quickly otherwise it would have exploded. I don't know enough of this matter to really tell but it's probably realistic enough. I'll still take some time to make some research about that.

Alright, I looked into it and as you said, it would be a 'lil more realistic to add a burnout depending on atm.

From what I saw, the value depend on the engine type. Following values are for earth atmosphere and are theoretically. I only found out the altitude so sorry about that.

- 40.000 for turbojet

- 55.000 for ramjet

- 75.000 for scramjet

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

I'll do some research on my side and see if I can help more but I have some other troubles that I need to look at too, and I still don't know if it's linked to a mod or the change of version (wasn't the wisest idea to change version and add mods at the same time ... but well, whatever).

Edited by nimaroth

My mistake.

I'm not familiar enough with github ...

After searching for a while, I found out something that look liked what you said and yep, it's good and all. So sorry ! ^^

For the flat spin (and not spine, I'm ashamed of myself T.T), I tried tweaking with my plane a lot and couldn't figure out the problem.

If I'm switching the J-58-P4 engines with the SABRE, I have no problem to fly it, no spin whatsoever.

I've tried a lot of things, changing the configuration, deleting parts ... whatever I'm doing, it doesn't seems to fly straight.

At a moment, after deleteing the LVT45 (and a lot of other parts before), it was flying straight but ... that's absurd cause they are attached at the back, by a simple bi-coupler (by the way, it's a MK2 model with almost only B9 parts).

And just removing them didn't make it fly straight >.>

So I really don't know what is the problem ... is it with AJE, with FAR, with the game itself ...?

I think I'll forget about that since that's not what I really want to do, it was just a test run for the problem with the SABRE (and RAPIER).

Moreover, doing a really simple plaine with them do not reproduce the spin.

If you still want to look into it, tell me and I'll do what I can to help you.

I really like this mod. After all, I'm one of this Flight Simulator fan ! Plus, you're also managing B9 who's one of my favorit mod too ... you really have my respect ! :)

Anyway, good luck with that and if I'm not too lazy (that'll be hard ...) I'll try helping a bit.

Is there a way to turn on the magnetos? I don't know how to restart my engine once I've throttled down.

same question. I had the larger of the 2 kax prop engines throttled down and when I tried to start it it said magnetos off.

I've just done another set of tests.

So yeah, you were right, there is an aerodynamic issue. I've tried without the mods and it still does the same !

And I've try making it from scratch (the exact same one) and it's all good ... so I think there is something stuck in this one ... but I still don't understand why with SABRE it fly straight >.>

Whatever ....

Probably a stupid question but ... there is a talk about some afterburner in the description. Is there something special to do to use them or they just activate themselves if I'm using more than 66% throttle without anything more to do (and so making them impossible to desactivate) ?

Probably a stupid question but ... there is a talk about some afterburner in the description. Is there something special to do to use them or they just activate themselves if I'm using more than 66% throttle without anything more to do (and so making them impossible to desactivate) ?

The SABRE is currently modeled as a turbojet with a really big afterburner now. So yeah, throttling above 66% will give you afterburner, but running without it also won't give you much thrust. I'm playing with a better thermodynamic model of the SABRE right now, but it's far from ready (unless you enjoy engine-rich exhaust :P).

Hummm, no, I think I'll pass ! ^^"

I'm already trying to make a SSTO with the SABRE and I'm stuck cause of the engine problem, so I would prefer that you look into that first ;)

No, the question was more by curiosity. Assuming it is always on also means that you 'can't' use the engine at full power, only 66%.

I would have probably prefer an option to activate / deactivate it at will.

Just giving an example, using it only to take-off (and even for that, we're not on an aircraft carrier so ...), then turning it off and making the ascent without it. The afterburner is something that drain a lot of fuel and is normally not the best cost effective ...

Well, it's a choice of yours so I'll respect it, I'm already glad to have this mod !

No relation to that but I have in mind to start modding myself (still searching for inspiration though =p). You seems to have a good grasp about modding, do you mind if I ask you some questions when the time will come ? Don't worry, it won't be about basic things, I've already made some research ... oh well, maybe you should worry after all, I'm always going into difficult stuff, or should I say twisted ? XD

For all afterburning engines in AJE, 66% throttle = full core power with no afterburner. Anything past that only increases the afterburner throttle, so 100% throttle = full core power + full afterburner.

Oh okay, so the throttle is re-calculated. I didn't knew that.

Then I would at least suggest to add something in the description for those who effectively have afterburning.

I was thinking something like having max thrust dry and max thrust wet.

Well, it's just an idea and maybe it doesn't work with how the mod calculate thrust.

Anyway, thanks again for your answer.

You can already see max dry/wet thrust in part selector in the editor. It may be slightly different than what you get on the runway, since it's calculated using standard conditions of p = 101.325 kPa, T = 288.15 K which might vary (in particular, ambient temperature is usually higher).

Then forget about what I just said, I just wasn't attentive enough.

Sorry about that, I've made so much test with mods lately than I'm starting to not paid enough attention and don't see things who're under my nose (and I can assure you I've searched about that ... tired maybe ?)

Is it possible to make this mod compatible with Thermal Turbojet from KSP Interstellar? The problem is that thermal turbojet only uses air as its reaction mass, so it can be used in planets that have 'air' but no oxygen, like Jool and Eve. Does Advanced Jet Engine intakes account for that and allows air intake in those situations? And thermal turbojets can switch propellant like RAPIER