[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

Like Svm420 said, you're still not being specific enough, I'm sorry to say. What aspects of those engines do you feel are not stock enough? e.g. thrust (which as I mentioned is ambiguous), top speed, efficiency?

I've heard this mod replaces them with real engines, I like the stock ones.

legoclone09: What makes that especially funny is that the stats for the KSP engines were themselves derived from real engine performance (F100-PW-229 in dry thrust for the BJE, a super-J58, i.e. that goes down to near-1.0 prat3, for the TRJ, and an extrapolation of that for the RAPIER). Isps are about 2x real and TWRs about 1.5x real. So you're chicken-and-egging here. :P

I've heard this mod replaces them with real engines, I like the stock ones.

It gives them the stats of roughly matched real-world equivalents (and renames them). The models and scales (at least for the stock engines) hasn't changed. If you have some specific aspect of the matching or real-world engine stats that you don't like, I'd definitely be willing to hear it, but if not, I don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

Well I thought I had something a bit more reliable, but all I can find are these 2 sites. Not the most reputable, but the numbers seem reasonable. I wish this was easier. I love the mod, but damn i is hard to find the data you need. This site list it at 17,200lbs dry then HERE it lists it at 16100 on another page. Maybe a typo with the 16100. This site list it at 17200 as well so that seem to be a the more correct number. I wish i could find a better source for you. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Well this document seem a bit more reputable, but could be fake? List it at 16100lbs.

The first page you linked actually has two numbers :P

Anyway, here's a preliminary config. I haven't tested it yet, and it's not in the repository

+PART[turboFanEngine]:FOR[AJE]
{
@name = aje_j75

@title = Pratt & Whitney J75-P-17 Turbojet
@description = Essentially a larger J57, the P&W J75 saw extensive military and civilian use. This afterburning variant powered the F-106 A/B. 109.0kN wet, 76.5kN dry. SFC 0.8/2.15 lb/lbf-hr static. Temperature limit Mach 2.5.

@mass = 2.7

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesAJEJet
@Area = 0.4
@BPR = 0
@CPR = 12
@FPR = 0
@Mdes = 0.9
@Tdes = 250
@eta_c = 0.95
@eta_t = 0.98
@eta_n = 0.7
@FHV = 35000000
@TIT = 1150
@TAB = 3140
@exhaustMixer = True
@thrustUpperLimit = 200
@maxT3 = 900

@maxThrust = 109.0

@defaultTPR = 0.85
@drySFC = 0.8
@dryThrust = 76.5
@wetThrust = 109.0
}
}

Oh this may be my best source yet. List it at 17200 again. Search for j75 as the doc is pretty big. Then again these might be variants as you stated so IDK. Hope some of this help.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You! :D

It gives them the stats of roughly matched real-world equivalents (and renames them). The models and scales (at least for the stock engines) hasn't changed. If you have some specific aspect of the matching or real-world engine stats that you don't like, I'd definitely be willing to hear it, but if not, I don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

I'd just love a version with the BJE and TRJ real engines only, then have the real engines named to the same ones. So pretty much the physics of the mod and the f100-pw-229 and the super j-58 engines but instead of those names the names already in the game. Sorry for all the confusion.

I'd just love a version with the BJE and TRJ real engines only, then have the real engines named to the same ones. So pretty much the physics of the mod and the f100-pw-229 and the super j-58 engines but instead of those names the names already in the game. Sorry for all the confusion.

Wait. This is all about the names? Why didn't you just say so?

You can fix this easily for yourself but removing the @title and @description lines for the engines (BasicJet and TurboFanEngine) in GameData/AJE/Squad.cfg. I might try to think up a more permanent solution at some point.

A request for a propeller piston engine:

My Na-3 design for a light aircraft struggles with a high stall speed (85 km/h with flaps down). The goal is around 60-70 km/h. The aircraft weighs around 700 kg, with 250 of that being its engine. I use the Continental IO-550, which is in the SXT pack. I request an engine like the Continental A40 or Continental O-170. These engines only weigh around 70 kg, and don't output 250 hp. I only need around 60 or less hp for the Na-3. In addition, the IO-550 is HEAVY for a light aircraft! The engine pretty much defines the center of mass on the aircraft, and it weighs more than the cockpit. I think you could use the IO-550 model for this engine I request. It would be very much appreciated if you could implement something like this. I understand that modding can be difficult, but this should just be a copypaste config with the engine data.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Silly me, why would you make a propeller when you can make a piston engine?

Question the J58 states in the description a temp limit of 4.1Ma. Well when I get to around 3.5 the internal temp is 1120/1200. I don't think I could make it to 4.1 without melting the engine. This is at 23km altitude. Is the maxt3 set too low for that speed?

Question the J58 states in the description a temp limit of 4.1Ma. Well when I get to around 3.5 the internal temp is 1120/1200. I don't think I could make it to 4.1 without melting the engine. This is at 23km altitude. Is the maxt3 set too low for that speed?

It might have been able to go that fast in older versions of AJE, but perhaps the engine model has changed such that it can't, and neither the description nor temperature has been updated to reflect that. Mach 4.1 seems a bit high for the J58 anyway. We know that it was able to reach mach 3.3 without overheating, and depending on who you believe mach 3.5 might have been achieved for short distances without the engine melting.

I'd like to contribute a MM .cfg for the Mk2 Expansion mod. I think the values are correct, but they might still need a bit of tweaking from someone with more experience with AJE than me. Also, the intakes and engines are included in one .cfg, not sure if those need to be separate.

{
@mass = 0.45
@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 1.2
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/DSI/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/DSI/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/DSI/description$
}
}

@PART[mk2_AeroIntake]:FOR[AJE]
{
@mass = 0.25
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 1.65
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/description$
}
}
@PART[M2X_Shockcone]:FOR[AJE]
{
@mass = 0.25
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 1.65
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/FixedCone/description$
}
}
@PART[mk2_MantaIntake]:FOR[AJE]
{

{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 2.1
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/description$
}
}
@PART[M2X_ViperCockpit]:NEEDS[AJE]:AFTER[AJE]
{

{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 0.6

}
}
@PART[M2X_AtomicJet]:FOR[AJE]
{
//loosely based on the X39 variant J47-GE-25 engine
{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 0.3

}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=26.56
Area = 0.232
BPR = 0.0
CPR = 26
FPR = 2.3
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.7
FHV = 22500000
TIT = 1500
TAB = 0
exhaustMixer = false
thrustUpperLimit = 150
maxT3 = 1000

defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 26.56
}
}

@PART[M2X_Jumpjet]:FOR[AJE]
{

{
@name = AJEInlet
Area = 0.16
#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PilotTube/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PilotTube/title$
inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/PilotTube/description$
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=40.3
Area = 0.11
BPR = 6.24
CPR = 20
FPR = 1.5
Mdes = 0.5
Tdes = 270
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 24000000
TIT = 1250
TAB = 0
exhaustMixer = False
adjustableNozzle = False
thrustUpperLimit = 60
maxT3 = 800
intakeMatchArea = True

defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 40.3
}
}

@PART[Mk2Turbojet]:FOR[AJE]
{
/Pratt and Whitney F-199
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust=155.4
Area = 0.35
BPR = 0.45
CPR = 35
FPR = 3
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.7
FHV = 27000000
TIT = 1970
TAB = 2350
exhaustMixer = True
thrustUpperLimit = 250
maxT3 = 1200

defaultTPR = 0.85
dryThrust = 115.7
wetThrust = 155.4
}

}
@PART[M2X_Pegasus]:FOR[AJE]
{
//Based on the Bristol BS-53
!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.29
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 100
maxT3 = 1100
defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 93.0

}
}
@PART[M2X_Siddeley]:FOR[AJE]
{
//Based on the Bristol BS-53
!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.29
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 100
maxT3 = 1100
defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 93.0

}
}
@PART[Mk2VTOLFuselage]:FOR[AJE]
{

!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.4
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 170
maxT3 = 1100
}
}
@PART[Mk2VTOLJET]:FOR[AJE]
{

!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.4
BPR=0.36
CPR=32
FPR=3.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1620
TAB=0
exhaustMixer=false
maxThrust = 170
maxT3 = 1100
}
}
@PART[Mk2Ramjet]:FOR[AJE]
{
//Fictional ramjet drawing from the J-58
@title = H-07 "Afterburn" Ramjet Engine
@mass = 0.8
%CoMOffset = 0, 1.5, 0
@description = A highly advanced ramjet engine using space-grade materials for very high performance. Built for the blazing fast speeds Mk2 spaceplanes deserve, this engine is designed to operate best at higher altitudes and speeds; it will not produce thrust under mach 0.3!

!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@maxThrust = 1000
@useEngineResponseTime = False

Area = 0.45
BPR = 0
CPR = 1
FPR = 0
Mdes = 0.9
Tdes = 250
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 28000000
TIT = 1800
TAB = 2250
exhaustMixer = True
adjustableNozzle = true
thrustUpperLimit = 1000
maxT3 = 1200
dryThrust = 110
drySFC = 0.8
wetSFC = 1.9
wetThrust = 150.7
}
}

@PART[ESTOC]:FOR[AJE]
{
//Fictional dual-cycle engine using stats borrowed from the RAPIER config
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[AirBreathing]]
{

Area = 0.75
BPR = 0
CPR = 12
FPR = 0
Mdes = 1
Tdes = 280
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 36000000
TIT = 900
TAB = 3800
exhaustMixer = True
thrustUpperLimit = 550
maxT3 = 2000

areaFudgeFactor = 1.0
defaultTPR = 0.85
}
}

@PART[MATTOCK]:FOR[AJE]
{
//Fictional dual-cycle engine using stats borrowed from the RAPIER config
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[AirBreathing]]
{

Area = 0.9
BPR = 0
CPR = 12
FPR = 0
Mdes = 1
Tdes = 280
eta_c = 0.95
eta_t = 0.98
eta_n = 0.9
FHV = 36000000
TIT = 900
TAB = 3800
exhaustMixer = True
maxThrust = 700
maxT3 = 2000
areaFudgeFactor = 1.0
defaultTPR = 0.85
}

}

@PART[M2X_Turbofan]:FOR[AJE]
{
//performance somewhere between the Turbo-Union RB199 and Volvo RM8
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
Area=0.35
BPR=0.39
CPR=32
FPR=2.8
Mdes=0.9
Tdes=250
eta_c=0.95
eta_t=0.98
eta_n=0.7
FHV=22.5E6
TIT=1250
TAB=1750
exhaustMixer=true
maxThrust = 91.26
maxT3 = 1100

defaultTPR = 0.95
dryThrust = 55.26
wetThrust = 91.26
}
}

@PART[mk2_InlineIntake]:FOR[AJE]

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

hey, just wondering, Kerbal Stuff says that the mod is still .90, but this thread says 1.0.4, so which one is it?

thanks again for the awesome mod

The version on Kerbalstuff is old, since camlost hadn't been around to update it. Go to Github for the latest 1.0.4 compatible versions.

Hey Blowfish would you throw together a cfg for the Mig-21-93 engine the Tumansky R25-300? Source I found had these for stats 40.2 kN thrust dry, 69.2 kN with afterburner, sfc 0.91lb/(lbf*h) dry, sfc 2.25 lb/h*lbf with afterburner, TIT 1040C. Hope that is everything you would need let know if I can do anymore. Thanks :)

Found a few more for consideration. The Saturn AL-31F from the Su-47. Listed stats: 74.5kN dry w/ SFC .869lb/(lbf*h) and 122.6kN wet w/ SFC 1.917 TIT 1685K.

The Klimov RD-33 from the Mig 29. Listed stats: 50kN dry w/ SFC .77lb/(lbf*h) and 81.3kN wet w/ SFC 1.85lb/(lbf*h) TIT 1407C.

Edited by Svm420

Btw, is there something wrong with the RAPIER engine? It looks like it got a AJE config, but I'm just not able to use them. Their thrust seems to be very low, they hardly do anything at 14k and higher. Do I need support engines to get to high speeds?

It's a bit confusing to me since the real life SABRE engines supposedly are able to lift a heavy spaceplane in jet mode.

They should be producing >100kN on the runway if you have enough intake. Performance at altitude depends on how fast you're going - if you climb too fast then you're going to loose thrust. Watch dynamic pressure - if it drops below 20 kPa then you're going to have problems in jet mode.

Since I didn't realize that you already had the Saturn engine under quiztech, which was simply to clone as another VSR TRJ for a nice single nozzle variant, here is another engine to add. The SNECMA M88-2 from the Rafale. Sourced here with all the stats :)

And a bit more russian love with the R-15-300 from the MiG-25

Maybe the m53-P2 from the mirage 2000 as well? Source

Edited by Svm420

Btw, is there something wrong with the RAPIER engine? It looks like it got a AJE config, but I'm just not able to use them. Their thrust seems to be very low, they hardly do anything at 14k and higher. Do I need support engines to get to high speeds?

It's a bit confusing to me since the real life SABRE engines supposedly are able to lift a heavy spaceplane in jet mode.

They don't actually have a "jet mode" as such - there is a turbocompressor but the combustion side of the engine is pure rocket, so it really should behave like a rocket. There's a pretty old doc by Alan Bond showing peak TWR at around 2.0M with a big falloff either side which I've been trying to replicate but failing miserably through lack of understanding atm - also I don't quite understand the reasons behind that shape - although perhaps to do it properly is a bit out of the scope of AJE anyway ( given it isn't a jet engine ). The later Reaction Engines docs have the SABRE 4's thrust varying from 0.5 to 2MN in airbreathing mode for whatever reason, so you can expect some difficulty using them even if they were perfectly modelled.