[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

[quote name='Svm420']Would you be a bit more specific about squad engines having bad effects with RealPlume or HotRockets and Non-squad engines may have effects looking wrong due to change? I made the configs for rf stockalike for aje and I want to ensure compatiblity. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Sure. First, a bit of history. Originally, effects for AJE engines were based purely on throttle, meaning that that the afterburner turns on at 67%. I believe that this is the threshold that the HotRockets configs use. When SolverEngines came around, NathanKell adjusted this to 25% core + 75% afterburner, so the afterburner threshold was 25%. Now, with this update, I have separated the effects entirely. The spool effect depends only on core throttle, and the power effect depends only on afterburner. Others still use the 25/75 formula, though I might change the throttle effect to be actual throttle at some point. This was done partially to facilitate easy re-use of the new stock afterburner effects, but it simplifies creating effects configs from here on as well.

[LIST]
[*]Finish removing Kerosene and AvGas configs from jets and props. Now the only engines whose fuels are set are the SABREs and MkIVs, but they too will eventually get shifted over to an engine pack (RO, or RF Stockalike).
[*]Update emissive patching to work in 1.0.5.
[*]Change how stock clones' models are assigned: if Ven's Stock Revamp is installed, use VSR"s turboramjet model for some jets for variety. Even if VSR is installed, however, keep using the Squad 1.0.5 models for the J58 (TRJ) and CF34 (Wheesley).
[*]Update to SolverEngines v1.13.
[*]Ensure jets lose throttle when shut down.
[/LIST]

[quote name='NathanKell']2.5.1

[LIST]
[*]Finish removing Kerosene and AvGas configs from jets and props. Now the only engines whose fuels are set are the SABREs and MkIVs, but they too will eventually get shifted over to an engine pack (RO, or RF Stockalike).
[*]Update emissive patching to work in 1.0.5.
[*]Change how stock clones' models are assigned: if Ven's Stock Revamp is installed, use VSR"s turboramjet model for some jets for variety. Even if VSR is installed, however, keep using the Squad 1.0.5 models for the J58 (TRJ) and CF34 (Wheesley).
[*]Update to SolverEngines v1.13.
[*]Ensure jets lose throttle when shut down.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]

Link for download is same one from github, in OP ? Asking because it is not provided in your post or in signature. camlost is silent for long time too, so people might not be sure is it link in OP still valid one.

[quote name='kcs123']Link for download is same one from github, in OP ? Asking because it is not provided in your post or in signature. camlost is silent for long time too, so people might not be sure is it link in OP still valid one.[/QUOTE]

Correct, you can always get the latest release from Github.

Hi all,

I need some advice. I'm designing an airplane for Mars. I would like to circumnavigate Mars with a couple of Kerbals so I think the only option that I have is to use electric propellers (and nuclear reactors to recharge batteries) I have been testing the AJE e50 but I need something much more powerful! I did some tweaks to the ElectricProperllers.cfg to set 3000hp just to check if it makes any difference.

Thanks

[quote name='jrodriguez']Hi all,

I need some advice. I'm designing an airplane for Mars. I would like to circumnavigate Mars with a couple of Kerbals so I think the only option that I have is to use electric propellers (and nuclear reactors to recharge batteries) I have been testing the AJE e50 but I need something much more powerful! I did some tweaks to the ElectricProperllers.cfg to set 3000hp just to check if it makes any difference.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
You are going to have a bad time Mars atmosphere is so thin flight is nearly impossible. You will need a ton of lift vs weight or a ton of speed.

[quote name='Svm420']You are going to have a bad time Mars atmosphere is so thin flight is nearly impossible. You will need a ton of lift vs weight or a ton of speed.[/QUOTE]

I know it is going to be hard..but right now FAR is saying that I'm green for Mars flying between 1km-4km and 0.9 match ( I have quite big wings!)

The thing is I need to know if it is possible to tweak a electric prop to have more power. (Tweakscale is not working with these engines, at least in RO)

[quote name='jrodriguez']I know it is going to be hard..but right now FAR is saying that I'm green for Mars flying between 1km-4km and 0.9 match ( I have quite big wings!)

The thing is I need to know if it is possible to tweak a electric prop to have more power. (Tweakscale is not working with these engines, at least in RO)[/QUOTE]
Do you want to fly no matter what? I would figure if you are using AJE, FAR and real Mar instead of Duna you would want it realistic as possible otherwise might as well just use cheats. So why try and make the engine better should be? Well thats my 2c GL can't really offer any advice as I don't know what changes you would need.

[quote name='Svm420']Do you want to fly no matter what? I would figure if you are using AJE, FAR and real Mar instead of Duna you would want it realistic as possible otherwise might as well just use cheats. So why try and make the engine better should be? Well thats my 2c GL can't really offer any advice as I don't know what changes you would need.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I don't want to make it better but to scale it maintaining a realistic ec consumption / power ratio.

[quote name='jrodriguez']Yes, I don't want to make it better but to scale it maintaining a realistic ec consumption / power ratio.[/QUOTE]
Hmm well did the change you made to 3000 make any difference?
[code]
TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
name = ModuleEnginesAJERotor
rpm = -1
r = 1
weight = 2
power = 2
}
[/code]
That the exponents for a rotor. So if a prop work similarly you would have to scale the whole thing by 3.3 to get the power you want. Then you need to reduce rpms by the 1/3 since the exponent for that is the inverse of the scale factor. No idea what r is maybe radius? Also weight is going to be multiplied by 3.3^2 so 10 time the weight. Not sure how to handle gear ratio.Other than that those changes should keep it proportioned I think assuming the fuel efficiency, BSFC, stays the same. Edited by Svm420

So... If I want to update the numerous prop engines I'm fiddling with in RealPlanes, what precisely do I want to do here? I've looked at the commits on AJE, and from that it seems that the various performance curves are superfluous (re. #fd79b26), and there seems to be a lot of stuff going on about resource consumption, but it's unclear to me what precisely. Can someone explain it all to me? What does a complete config for an AJE piston engine look like, these days?

Ah, here's a better example, a full cfg rather than an MM patch.
[url]https://github.com/camlost2/AJE/blob/solver_redo/GameData/AJE/Parts/Props/DoubleWasp.cfg[/url]

CtTweak and CpTweak are multipliers for the Ct (coefficient of thrust) and Cp (coefficient of power). The props compute Cp and Ct from advance ratio and pitch using the supplied tables (in the PROPELLER nodes in the main props cfg), but those values are then multiplied by the tweaks. This is so engines can share prop definitions but have "100% real life" performance each for each.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey devs of AJE have you considered implementing a system like what RealFuels offers? Allowing engines to specifiy varients that can be switched between on the same engine model. That way if varient stats are known they can be added on an existing base model. Further it could allow "TechLevels" to be made using minor predefined increases in various stats such as fuel efficiency, wet/dry thrust, weight, etc. Less realism, but still based on reality and could be easily limited to plausible improvements. Would/Could make it easier to implement more engines/variants. Thanks :)

36 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

Hey devs of AJE have you considered implementing a system like what RealFuels offers? Allowing engines to specifiy varients that can be switched between on the same engine model. That way if varient stats are known they can be added on an existing base model. Further it could allow "TechLevels" to be made using minor predefined increases in various stats such as fuel efficiency, wet/dry thrust, weight, etc. Less realism, but still based on reality and could be easily limited to plausible improvements. Would/Could make it easier to implement more engines/variants. Thanks :)

Interesting idea.  I think it might be worth investigating, but I see a few major issues that would have to be addressed:

1. Personally, I consider the way that engine configs are implemented in RF to be a bit hacky.  It makes sense when you don't have control over the engine module (and this is where it is from).  If we were to do this in AJE I wouldn't feel comfortable with it unless we refactored large portions of both SolverEngines and AJE in order to accommodate it.
  2. Complete data on engines is hard to come by, and it's not uncommon for there to be only a single variant with complete data.  Of course, there's no reason why we would have to include all, or even most variants, but it seems to me like there isn't really enough data to make this work
  3. Most of the time, variants of the same engine vary in performance only a little.  Is there really enough of a difference that people would take the time to choose a variant?
  4. The engine table we currently have doesn't have any years in it, so coming up with sensible tech level relations would be either difficult or painful.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the latest update of Ven's Stock Revamp broke some engine models. AJE refers to an old model of the turbojet engine (TurboJet.mu) from VSR that doesn't exist anymore. Engines affected are:

aje_j57
aje_j75
aje_j79
aje_f404
aje_atar
aje_avon

This only happens with VSR installed since some of the AJE engine configs have explicit MODEL:NEEDS[VenStockRevamp]{} blocks for them.

AJE 2.5.4 is now available on Github

Changes:

• Update Baha inlets with new cockpit
  • Update for SolverEngines engine fitting changes
  • Updates for Ven's Stock Revamp
  • Updates for B9 5.4.0
  • Update SolverEngines to 1.14

• Fix issue where ramjet would have no model
Edited by blowfish

• 2 weeks later...