[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

It works! Managed a sustained Mach 4 flight... until...

So... engines generate a little bit of thrust even when the throttle is at zero, yes? Because I killed the throttle (just after the below screenshot was taken) and the engine still continued to accelerate (slowly) until it passed the engine's Mach 4.1 temperature limit and exploded. What is one normally supposed to do in situations like this?

sS1fByA.jpg

(And how do I hide images inside a spoiler?)

It works! Managed a sustained Mach 4 flight... until...

So... engines generate a little bit of thrust even when the throttle is at zero, yes? Because I killed the throttle (just after the below screenshot was taken) and the engine still continued to accelerate (slowly) until it passed the engine's Mach 4.1 temperature limit and exploded. What is one normally supposed to do in situations like this?

https://i.imgur.com/sS1fByA.jpg

(And how do I hide images inside a spoiler?)

Use a smaller engine or deploy airbrakes if your speed gets too high (You can even automate them with a Kerbal OS script).

Thrust in AJE is a function of mass flow and exhaust velocity, while mass flow is a function of the engine design, intake area and speed. If the mass flow rate through the engine at idle is high enough to make you accelerate you will go faster and faster until the engine explodes. This is the sort of behavior you might expect from a ramjet, but it is probably unrealistic for a turbojet.

Well, it was an awfully big engine for the plane. :)

Another question: I just had my engines flame out when I throttled down to zero but they refused to start up again. There was plenty of fuel and airflow. Is there a way to recover from this during flight?

Another question: I just had my engines flame out when I throttled down to zero but they refused to start up again. There was plenty of fuel and airflow. Is there a way to recover from this during flight?

This is a bug in SolverEngines. Currently figuring out what the best way to fix it is.

This is a bug in SolverEngines. Currently figuring out what the best way to fix it is.

Is the flameout actually meant to happen? Under some conditions (excessive AoA, extended periods of -ive G, inert gas entering the intake etc.) RL engines will flame out, so its probably not unrealistic for that to happen in game.

The simplest solution I can think of is a 'restart' button that resets the engine to a condition where it can operate properly again.

Edit: On the topic of thrust vs speed, I just did some testing with the F100 engine. Flying at 12km I was able to get my MiG-23 knockoff to super-cruise at mach 2.9, though even with the afterburner off it ran out of fuel after about 300km. I could have gone a little faster, but I was concerned about overheating the engine. SR-71 eat your heart out.

Edited by Nerd1000

The simplest solution I can think of is a 'restart' button that resets the engine to a condition where it can operate properly again.

Or if adding yet another button, make it so shutting the engines off and then on again restarts them? Either way would make me happy, although a custom Restart action would help conserve precious, precious custom action keyboard shortcuts.

After some experimentation, I have found that limiting the exhaust velocity of subsonic jets to the speed of sound (in the exhaust) does seem to fix the problem of them producing too much supersonic thrust. They still produce a decent amount of thrust up to Mach 2 or so (particularly the smaller, lower bypass models), but the ram effect is basically gone, and the thrust curves look more correct compared to other engines (previously thrust was growing faster than some military turbofans).

After some experimentation, I have found that limiting the exhaust velocity of subsonic jets to the speed of sound (in the exhaust) does seem to fix the problem of them producing too much supersonic thrust. They still produce a decent amount of thrust up to Mach 2 or so (particularly the smaller, lower bypass models), but the ram effect is basically gone, and the thrust curves look more correct compared to other engines (previously thrust was growing faster than some military turbofans).

Did you ever figure out what was making those random flameouts happen? I'm finding that any attempt to change the exhaust velocity calculations in the jet engine solver causes the same issue.

Edit: I just commented out the entire engine flameout part of the solver and its still happening...

Edited by Nerd1000

Did you ever figure out what was making those random flameouts happen? I'm finding that any attempt to change the exhaust velocity calculations in the jet engine solver causes the same issue.

Edit: I just commented out the entire engine flameout part of the solver and its still happening...

It's a bug in SolverEngines. Cause known, pending fix.

Update: bug is fixed. Unintended flameouts should lo longer occur.

Fixed in AJE or fixed in SolverEngines? (Wait... do I update both?)

Edit: Nevermind, SE is included. Silly me.

Edited by jrandom

is VOID one of the currently unsupported mods for the dev build?

295zm2c.jpg

there is clearly propellant left, and the engine is at full throttle, but the dv and TWR are both showing as 0

P.S. I know it is an ugly plane, but I am playing career and I don't have many parts

Edit: I am using a version from the dev build that I downloaded earlier today

Edited by jab136

is VOID one of the currently unsupported mods for the dev build?

http://i59.tinypic.com/295zm2c.jpg

there is clearly propellant left, and the engine is at full throttle, but the dv and TWR are both showing as 0

P.S. I know it is an ugly plane, but I am playing career and I don't have many parts

Edit: I am using a version from the dev build that I downloaded earlier today

Sorry, but this one is on VOID's end. I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but I'm guessing that VOID is simulating stock engines based on the way stock engines work rather than asking each engine for its actual thrust and Isp.

Well, no one can know what the problem is until you post your output_log.txt

I'd love too, but it's not an actual freeze. The loading process just stops at one part, witty hints continue cycling, I can still switch fullscreen/window. I have to manually kill the game.

I'd love too, but it's not an actual freeze. The loading process just stops at one part, witty hints continue cycling, I can still switch fullscreen/window. I have to manually kill the game.

output_log.txt is still created in the KSP_Data folder. It's updated and saved even during normal game operation.

Oh, i did not know that! I strated by quoting the last bit here instead of uploading it fully, since it looks rather interesting:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/TwinCyclone7/TwinCyclone-R2600-7'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine/model' as model does not exist

PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/TwinWasp94/TwinWasp-R1830-94'

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine/model' as model does not exist

PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AtomicAge/Parts/KANDL/KANDL/nuclearEngineKANDL'

EffectList: Created 13 effect types

*RF* Loading RFSETTINGS global settings

PartLoader: Part 'AtomicAge/Parts/KANDL/KANDL/nuclearEngineKANDL' has no database record. Creating.

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'nuclearEngineKANDL'

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.UpdateFlightCondition'.
at RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.GetInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[DeadlyReentry.DRToolBar] OnDestroy() called - destroying button

KANDLE is the tiny Nuke from atomic age (that one doesn't have an RO config afair), but removing one mod just makes it stop at another engine, e.g. the stock jet engine.

edit: Full log, if helpful:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04395916013345394748

Edited by Temeter

EDIT: Nvm, Nvm, Nvm, the thing was my mistake! RealFuels very recently fixed an issue that could kill the loading process. I did ofc instantly install it, Apparently fixing the issue involved removing a file though, and i didn't actually remove the old folder and just overwrote the update. Just removed/reinstalled RealFuels and KSP does finish the loading process this time.

Sorry for wasting your time!

----------------------------

I've already tried the solver engine that comes with Realism Overhaul (i'm using RSS/RO), the AJE prerelease one from the link nathankell just posted, and just now a direct download from the mods page. Everything results in the same result, the loading just stopping and this:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AtomicAge/Parts/KANDL/KANDL/nuclearEngineKANDL'

EffectList: Created 13 effect types

*RF* Loading RFSETTINGS global settings

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.UpdateFlightCondition'.
at RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.GetInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Btw: I'm using OpenGL, but i had the issue the first time i created a new (DX) 102 RSS/RO install. Played the game without the AJE mod after that.

Edited by Temeter