Random - Programming Language

hansman1982

I know, the fact I have to ask probably means I shouldn't bother; however, I don't give a damn.

If I want to create a program to pull in blog posts as they happen so I can have my own personal news page, which language should I be looking at?

I've tried RSS feeds into e-mail but (unless I am messing up the settings) seem to feed at a certain time of the day and I want it to be accessible anywhere I can get on the internet (read work, which blocks my personal email).

This sounds like something that would already exist as an online service.

As for writing your own... well, best to use a programming language you know. That, or use something supported by a good website hosting service.

I think there are services like that but:

1. I want to learn programming (I have no clue). Now, I understand there is more to that statement than I am sure I am aware, but that is part of the challenge for me. Just trying to figure it out and if I can't. well, then that will answer if I can.

2. I want the program/website to be the way I want it. Simple, laid out how I want it and with the exact information from the websites I want it from.

I don't envision myself creating anything like KSP or Minecraft or whatever, just need a project to satisfy a curiosity.

Edited by hansman1982
fixed a typo

PHP, maybe a little Javascript for front-end fanciness, and HTML/CSS. That's what you'd need to do this yourself. PHP can be replaced with Java, C#, or Python, potentially, but PHP has the best support community.

PHP, maybe a little Javascript for front-end fanciness, and HTML/CSS. That's what you'd need to do this yourself. PHP can be replaced with Java, C#, or Python, potentially, but PHP has the best support community.

Ok, thanks. I have *some* familiarity with HTML/CSS. So, I'll have to dig into PHP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.