[0.23]Baha. Parts for Extraplanetary Launchpads v1.2 (3/2/14)

BahamutoD

It's fixed by removing the "LoopedKConverterAnimation" module from the config. (there won't be an animation though) I edited it out in the download. Since 23.5 my animation plugin has been going haywire; I'm still figuring out whats wrong.

So, overall the mod looks great and works fine for me, aside from 2 minor things. The first being the small auger drill i can't seem to be able to deploy/use. Also, the large auger drill automatically deploys and I am unable to retract it. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on a custom build in .24.5 for myself to replicate a realistic space program progression. I downloaded and tweaked the "science drill" by making it a little smaller and lighter. The problem I am having is Tech Tree integration for Career Mode. No matter what I put as "TechRequired =", it doesn't show up in the R&D center. On the same build in a sandbox more it shows up with no problem. Anyone have any ideas?

you mean .23.5 and can you post what you tried ? or PM me and did you add something to the name and title ?

I found the problem. I edited the config and for some reason I kept overlooking the fact that it was already in the .cfg. I was looking for the "TechRequired" in the place it normally is, and it was one block of info down from there. So once I edited in another "TechRequired" asset, it screwed it up beyond recognition. Haha Sorry about the confusion. Great part. Might I suggest lowering the mass and scale though. I went with .08 mass and .125 scale. That puts it more in line with the other probe and science parts that people will probably be using it with.

Thanks.

I found the problem. I edited the config and for some reason I kept overlooking the fact that it was already in the .cfg. I was looking for the "TechRequired" in the place it normally is, and it was one block of info down from there. So once I edited in another "TechRequired" asset, it screwed it up beyond recognition. Haha Sorry about the confusion. Great part. Might I suggest lowering the mass and scale though. I went with .08 mass and .125 scale. That puts it more in line with the other probe and science parts that people will probably be using it with.

Thanks.

Drills are not light. The bit itself has to be hard enough to cut and the mechanism behind it has to be heavy enough to push against rock. Pick up a thermometer in one hand and a corded drill in the other and tell me which is heavier.

Drills are not light. The bit itself has to be hard enough to cut and the mechanism behind it has to be heavy enough to push against rock. Pick up a thermometer in one hand and a corded drill in the other and tell me which is heavier.

True. I suppose I'll have to re-evaluate my thought process.

Corded drill? Just the tiny (~1cm2) tip of a milling machine is comparable to a glass thermometer. The guts of an electronic one would be similar. Those tips need to cut hard steel and are made of tungsten alloys. Now imagine several of them on an iron base (needs some give so it doesn't shatter) and you're talking some serious mass. And that's still just the working end of the drill.

Corded drill? Just the tiny (~1cm2) tip of a milling machine is comparable to a glass thermometer. The guts of an electronic one would be similar. Those tips need to cut hard steel and are made of tungsten alloys. Now imagine several of them on an iron base (needs some give so it doesn't shatter) and you're talking some serious mass. And that's still just the working end of the drill.

OK, YES. I already acknowledged maybe I went a little overboard making it lighter. I'll do some re-evaluations as to what a balanced mass should be considering I also shrunk the drill. But to be honest, even considering a very heavy object, it shouldn't be 1.1 tons as the stock part file shows. Especially after I shrunk it in half. And it doesn't need to be super dense heavy metals for construction of it. A dense material for the tip of the drill is sufficient. Keep in mind we are only using this thing to collect one surface sample which odds tell us will either be dirt, sand, or a fairly soft rock.

Does this MOD work with the .24 x64 KSP update?

I have it installed and it's not breaking anything, but I haven't thoroughly tested the parts yet so we'll see.

I actually came here to ask:

Is this still being worked on? Can we expect further updates?

EPL is such a cool mod, but the models are...well, they need some love.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if you could do an inline drill similar to the small one in Karbonite.

I tried to get it to work with EPL for ore and it loses its animation, which I cannot stand going without.

Just thought I would throw that out there, the only drill style that is missing. It would go well with the landing legs from karbonite, so you can just put it on the bottom.

I don't care for karbonite and how it works but I do like the models, just wish the animations could be switched over easily.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be absolutely incredible if you could rework these to function with the Open Resource System. I have been wanting to use these drills to mine Uranium, but I cant get the animation to function correctly. Please man, your drills are no doubt second to none.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.