What? I can't delete this topic from this subforum?

FORUM_TEST_2-19-14

What? I can't delete this topic from this subforum?

I posted this to test the thread title, intending to delete it, before posting my real bug report, but now I can't delete this topic if it's in this subforum???...or is there a time limit before I can delete?

What ARE the rules on deleting topics/posts? When CAN you & when CAN'T you?

It seems that sometimes I CAN & sometimes I CAN'T delete them. The original problem was that I was "too new" to delete anything, now what's the problem?

OK, it appears I can delete POSTS but not Topics...is that it? (if that's the case, then it's not specific to this subforum)

Edited by FORUM_TEST_2-19-14

You should be able to delete a thread by deleting its original post.

...if that's the case, then it's not working -- or "not working" for "new spawns" with my lost post count.

I can guarantee that if the delete button was there, I would find it. I clicked "Edit Post" & "Go Advanved" & the delete option was nowhere (on this topic, before you replied). Note that I was able to delete a Reply in another topic just about an hour ago, so I could find the option then -- but again that was on a reply, not a topic.

I just tested this and it worked.

...you are also a Mod with 3000 posts (or at least Green, even if it don't say "Moderator" under your name). I can make another undeletable topic & make screenshots, if you want.

Unless this changed since I posted today, the button is not there...at least for people with low posts counts/non-mods (again, the only way for me to test is creating another topic).

Yeah, we need to test this thoroughly with a standard user account... But I'd think deleting threads requires an entirely different permission to deleting posts, especially as if you delete the original post of a thread, the next post in the list suddenly becomes the OP.

...this is moderator only permissions unfortunately.

...actually, I just checked, it's not a moderator-only permission. It is possible to set for normal users.

To set this permission in vBulletin 4...

1. Go to the Admin CP
  2. On the left pane, find Usergroups, click the arrow to expand it, click Usergroup Manager
  3. On the right pane, find the row for Registered Users, at the far right of that row, click Go

Note: that is, of course, if you are using the default "Registered Users" group. If you have a different group for normal users, edit that group instead.

4. Under Post / Thread Permissions, find Can Delete Own Threads, click Yes
  5. Scroll down (wayyy down) to the very bottom of the page (just press End on the keyboard to scroll to the very bottom quicker), click Update

...that should do it!

...actually, I just checked, it's not a moderator-only permission. It is possible to set for normal users.

To set this permission in vBulletin 4...

1. Go to the Admin CP
  2. On the left pane, find Usergroups, click the arrow to expand it, click Usergroup Manager
  3. On the right pane, find the row for Registered Users, at the far right of that row, click Go

Note: that is, of course, if you are using the default "Registered Users" group. If you have a different group for normal users, edit that group instead.

4. Under Post / Thread Permissions, find Can Delete Own Threads, click Yes
  5. Scroll down (wayyy down) to the very bottom of the page (just press End on the keyboard to scroll to the very bottom quicker), click Update

...that should do it!

I meant it is a mod only permission right now.

That would allow everyone to delete their own threads even after a few posts replied to it, which we don't want, things would get messy fast.

That would allow everyone to delete their own threads even after a few posts replied to it...

...ah, that is bad. Didn't notice that little detail when I was investigating before.

Strange that vBulletin has it that way. A better permission would be "Can Delete Own Threads (before they are replied too)" (that's what I thought it meant). They've got permissions for everything else, except that. I can't see why they'd have a permission that essentially means "user can wipe entire thread with 1000 posts".

Because sometimes it's more useful and efficient to delete the entire thread than to have to move it elsewhere or delete hundreds upon hundreds of posts to clear it up. However, a Delete Empty Thread permission might be of some use, I guess... but there's no real need for users to have that permission, really.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.