Folding ornithopter (Infernal robotics/proc.wings/b9/misc) - VIDEO

Parallax

Check out this ornithopter that I built. Im using infernal robotics, procedural wings, some b9 parts, mechjeb. I had to write a macro to automate the wing-flapping motion for powered cruising.

video 1 - test flight

video 2 - landing on laythe

I'm quite surprised that despite all the mods out there, that nobody built a decent ornithopter (at least that I could find). Hopefully this might inspire some talented builders to build something truly impressive.

Edited by Parallax

No way! Does it use FAR?

I thought things like this were impossible because KSP calculates forces on the wings based on the craft speed and not the part speed, but maybe IR fixes it? I dunno, I have not used IR in about 8 versions. It used to be so buggy >_<

All I can say it wow! such flap! keep up the good work!

Edited by nhnifong

It's interesting, but the lift and thrust aren't provided by the wing motions, as far as I can see, are they? the wings moving is just for show, basically.

I don't have any other engines, so somehow, some way, thrust is generated by the flapping motion of the wing

its possible. however, I've experimented with this a decent amount, and I found that I can still fly and generate speed and altitude with asas/mj disabled, I just have to be very careful with how I adjust pitch. I've also managed to take off with no control surfaces on the wing, just the v-tail. One of my discarded early designs actually did suffer from infini-glide, it would take off slowly and just barely fly, then it would start spazzing out and violently accelerating, and it would only do this with asas on.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have any other engines, so somehow, some way, thrust is generated by the flapping motion of the wing

Oh, wow, well then that is very impressive. Freaking amazing actually.

This may be the coolest thing I've ever seen in Kerbal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.