APOLLO (SATURN-V with F1 & J2, APOLLO CSM, LEM, LLRV). by OLDD (v.1.4. 09.05.14)

DennyTX

LES testing with canards (small aero plate opens when activated), shifts CM a bit from launch place

Nice. It still needs a separation motor however, the decoupler just doesn't do. It should also burn longer, Apollo LAS got the pod to quite an altitude. Another thing you might want to add is the pitch-over motor. IMO, the shift shouldn't come from the COM offset, but rather from the small solid rocket in the top. The tower just burned straight up, then the motor pitched it over slightly. This was needed because if a Saturn V exploded, the results would've been comparable to a small nuke.

It'd also activate during separation (that's why a decoupler won't do, you need the motor), so there's less chance of striking the LAS on after it's jettisoned. I've had quite a few harrowing experiences with BobCat's Soyuz tower that lacked this.

Oh, and please get rid of the red pre-flight packaging. It looks jarring. In fact, it was designed specifically to look jarring, so noone forgets to get rid of it before the launch. :)

why is evryone complaining about red stuff? after a full assambly in the VAB i see ... red letters on the hull, and the red escape tower ... nothing more (the red plate for the descentmotor of the LEM is hidden:P)

edit: forgot to mention the red "don't-push-during-flight" relase button for CM and LEM

abouth the disccusion which Saturn 5 is better:

Denny is doing a more historic accurate one while frizzank is doing a more "arcade" version :P

yes, this one is harder to fly, yes you need struts and yes the lvl of detail is much higher and ****ING YES still WIP ...

i think GJS is just a fanboy / second forumacc of someone else doing an S5 but without success ...

Edited by Darth Lazarus

Oh, and please get rid of the red pre-flight packaging. It looks jarring. In fact, it was designed specifically to look jarring, so noone forgets to get rid of it before the launch. :)

hmmm.. where reds still are?

On the LES you just showed in the video... Also, in the release, there are still some reds on the engine mounts, under the fuel tanks, dunno if you removed them already.

Nice. It still needs a separation motor however, the decoupler just doesn't do. It should also burn longer, Apollo LAS got the pod to quite an altitude. Another thing you might want to add is the pitch-over motor. IMO, the shift shouldn't come from the COM offset, but rather from the small solid rocket in the top. The tower just burned straight up, then the motor pitched it over slightly. This was needed because if a Saturn V exploded, the results would've been comparable to a small nuke.

It'd also activate during separation (that's why a decoupler won't do, you need the motor), so there's less chance of striking the LAS on after it's jettisoned. I've had quite a few harrowing experiences with BobCat's Soyuz tower that lacked this.

Lets deal with actually making things work first, like the parachutes and being able to EVA out of the CM. Then maybe talk about colors, IMPO the red is just fine.

well. the story is following...

i just dunno how to activate SRB step by step in one detail. And staging for LES (LES from 2 pieces with engines) is not a good idea imho.

If you know how to do this or have any manual - i'm up to read and do :)

well. more reds has been removed, but some reds gotta be for some small parts. I removed red from RCS nozzles, because found this a good idea, removed from IU and F1 engines mount. Thinking about LES but dont sure. Other places - let it be till i'll find other good visible color for it.

At the moment i'm doing triple parachutes. Hope it will be in upcoming update

Staging for LES is definitely a good idea. It has been done, and works excellently on BobCat's N1. It's also a rocket with a similar scale to the Saturn V, and needed a powerful LES that separated cleanly. The separation motor with offset thrust (as a Soviet rocket, it didn't use a separate pitch motor) took care of all the issues with the single-part LES, and looked really great, too. It's a tried and true concept and you can apply it here without fear.

Great to hear about parachutes. Oh, and red parts from LES (and also from the ullage motors) should definitely be gone. Look here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Apollo_11_Launch2.jpg

See any red? The LES is all white with a gray tip.

Edited by Guest

@DennyTX

You have no idea how happy your project makes me.

I play KSP since alpha 11 or something, yet I NEVER landed on the Mun. Why?

I said to myself I want to do it with the first complete and working Saturn/Apollo replica.

Thanks to you, I might finally put a Kerbal on the Mun soon...

Your work is greatly appreciated!

@DennyTX

You have no idea how happy your project makes me.

I play KSP since alpha 11 or something, yet I NEVER landed on the Mun. Why?

I said to myself I want to do it with the first complete and working Saturn/Apollo replica.

Thanks to you, I might finally put a Kerbal on the Mun soon...

Your work is greatly appreciated!

glad to hear ;) u thinking like me ;) but i play KSP since 0.22 :)

hope you enjoy Apollo mission.

well, here is LES, triple parachutes and splashdown ballons testing

Canards. It's awesome to see them modeled. :) I've never seen this detail reproduced faithfully... They should probably be a bit smaller, though. More like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Launch_escape_system_diagram.jpg

Still no jettison and pitch motors, and the red is still there, but it's still much better than any Apollo LAS made before.

If you need reference pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apollo_Pad_Abort_Test_-2.jpg

http://georgesrockets.com/Scale/DATA/Joe_GIFs/BPC-LES.gif

http://nassp.sourceforge.net/images/temp/LES.jpg

http://heroicrelics.org/info/csm/les/les-exploded-diagram.jpg

Oh, and that's probably the best Apollo landing sequence ever made for KSP. :) Well done.

(In response to some removed posts...) Please avoid insulting each other on the forum, and if you find a post which you believe breaks forum rules, please just hit the 'report' button on the post and let the moderators deal with it. Arguing back at the offending post simply forces other people to have to read through the unpleasantness.

Ummm... I didn't think I had RPM installed but Bobcats American pack includes it now.

What do you mean make it IVA interactive?

By interactive I mean you can only open the hatch from the inside by clicking on the latch. Otherwise you can't go for EVA. I see on your image that the hatch was closed when you tried to exit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.