APOLLO (SATURN-V with F1 & J2, APOLLO CSM, LEM, LLRV). by OLDD (v.1.4. 09.05.14)

DennyTX

Buddy, I just crapped my pants in excitement. Could you Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssssseeeeeee make The early Soyuz/Progress variants, first Soyuz launch vehicle and a Salyut 6? Please?:D

Well. I have this in plans. Bobcat's N1 and Soyuz are very good, but i want more modularity.

Dunno about Soyuz, but N-1 is in progress.

Awesome. :) Well, if you need a beta tester/researcher, PM me. I've been through this for BobCat and MrTheBull already. I've got heaps of data on N1 and L3, early Soyuz (a lot in common with the LOK) and Salyut/MIR. I can tell you, if you want modularity, you will go far with the Soviet space program. :) I can help you with that, just as I helped BobCat before. In fact, if you're making the N1, then I've got two more rockets you could make "for the cheap" (N11 and N111).

Edited by Guest

ups.

faced an unexpected problem. I'm not a pilot, just engeneer and never finished complete flight ;)

(Dragon01, u need for tests ;) )

and a caught following. CM is sunk

sL1dxfr.png

dunno why and what affects.

CoM CM in VAB. Capsule collider is simplified cone. Balloons have its box colliders.

BuDXXFU.png

I have always been thinking about what could be a solution to this but I guess so far only some parts from the airships mod are the only parts have proper working buoyancy. I could never made it work with stock parts. I also was helping Lovad with his Apollo parts and his capsule also flipped all the time after splashdown.

I have always been thinking about what could be a solution to this but I guess so far only some parts from the airships mod are the only parts have proper working buoyancy. I could never made it work with stock parts. I also was helping Lovad with his Apollo parts and his capsule also flipped all the time after splashdown.

real Apollo's CM also flips. because of this it got balloons to shift to proper position

and i solved this, but got sunk

CoM CM in VAB. Capsule collider is simplified cone. Balloons have its box colliders.

If you really want details, you could offset the CoM of the pod, it would make for interesting reentries, where you can steer the pod more easily(still, trying to hit a specific area would be hard).

From wiki:

The Command Module's center of mass was offset a foot or so from the center of pressure (along the symmetry axis).
This provided a rotational moment during reentry, angling the capsule and providing some lift (a lift to drag ratio of about 0.368[4]).
The capsule was then steered by rotating the capsule using thrusters; when no steering was required, the capsule was spun slowly, and the lift effects cancelled out.
This system greatly reduced the g-force experienced by the astronauts,
permitted a reasonable amount of directional control and allowed the capsule's splashdown point to be targeted within a few miles.

It should be easy enough to implement(there is a CoM offset thing you can plop in the cfg as I recall), I have been meaning to write a modulemanager file to add it to the pods myself, but I get easily sidetracked and forget(till the next time I reenter and find out it would have been fun to play around with).

Another thing I noticed is total lack of rotation control with the current RCS setup(I run all my pods without reaction wheels), which makes for very spinny reentries(weeee, carousel \o/ ).

This is how the read pod had it's RCS setup:

File_Apollo_14_CM_Saturn_V_Centre.JPG_-_Wikipedia,_the_free_encyclopedia-20101220-140749.jpg

-

Kolbjorn

Edited by CoolBeer
Added RCS part

The CoM offset is done with this code:

CoMOffset = X, Y, Z

X, Y and Z being the three dimensional axis. I think you need to use the X-axis to mimic the real capsule's CoM offset. So something like this:

CoMOffset = 0.3, 0, 0

You'll want to experiment with different values.

Man, your Apollo Saturn V is awesome, the best one I`ve ever seen! But your Command Capsule needs a hatch, yes there`s an animated hatch but the Kerbals can`t leave the CM to enter the Lunar Module. Now my mission failed on the trajectory to Mun because my kerbals can`t leave;.;

Man, your Apollo Saturn V is awesome, the best one I`ve ever seen! But your Command Capsule needs a hatch, yes there`s an animated hatch but the Kerbals can`t leave the CM to enter the Lunar Module. Now my mission failed on the trajectory to Mun because my kerbals can`t leave;.;

You may try using this mod to transfer crews from CM to LM without EVA:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60936-0-23-0-Kerbal-Crew-Manifest-v0-5-6-2?highlight=crew+manifest

Evidence of collider issues:

tumblr_n3te8z6Cbx1rpsnwro2_1280.png

And extreme re-entry just because I can:

tumblr_n3te8z6Cbx1rpsnwro1_1280.png

More about collider issue: When I launch just the Crew Capsule, it doesn't go through the grate. It seems as though the parts are losing their collision meshes somehow. I think we need Friz for this.

Edited by Deltac

Really fine work. But you really have to work on the hatches. Either CSM nor Lander are EVA capable.

Im stuck on the mun and can't get my Kerbals out. So no salut to the apollo memorial today.

Enter IVA, then click on the yellow handle on the hatch. Then try again. :)

Ya, indeed. There are clip on first page showing hatch feature

Edited by DennyTX

Well, v.1.1. ready and will be available today.

It adds:

1. EVA from CM works now.

2. Own apollo style parachutes and landing ballons.

3. CM center of mass tuned. Capsule itself must take right position during reentry.

4. Docking light is now useful and can illuminate (range about 30 m, enough for docking) ;)

5. IU and CM reaction wheels power has been increased.

6. CM heatshield is DeadlyReentry ready.

7. SM RCS texture has changed.

8. LEM's docking cone is now a bit more above LEM's roof than it must be. Not as was in reality but useful for gaming and docking.

9. There are reflection module in CM and SM. Just add plugin.

10. More reds has been removed. There are only reds remained that i find necessary.

11. LES has animated canards now, it shifts CM from launch pad when activated.

12. Some docking and attach node tuning, for ALSEP too.

Current questions:

1. I need experiments for ALSEP, can anybody help?

2. Which lifesupport should be preinstalled? (TAC currently).

3. Should i divide F-1 engines mount device and got separate fairings? This adds modularity, increase part count up to 90 and add 4 simple colliders.

4. How this mod works? I have 22-32 fps when launching in full configuration.

5. Anybody know how pretuned action groops can be saved?

6. Anybody know about buoyancy in KSP? CoM tuning and playing with colliders didnt help. Capsule still sinking.

1.ALSEP experiments- You could use some of the stock experiments since they were included in the real package anyways. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Surface_Experiments_Package

2.TAC looks like the main life support mod.

3.I think most like the separate engines and plates, but that is up to you.

4. Frame Rate- You have a lot of high triangle count, multi-material/texture objects that are hurting frame rate.

While polygons can be rendered quickly, draw calls multiply that number. A Draw Call is each time an object is drawn from the graphics card in the scene. Every triangle has at least one pass for every material, light and shadow cast on it.

So if you have an object with lots of triangles ,lots of materials and there are lots of those objects they all get multiplied together. The time it takes to render each object slows down your system as more of those multi-material objects are added. This is why it is important for each object to have as few materials as possible. The best number being just one material per object.

An example part.

8000 - triangles

4 - materials

90 - objects

4 - lights (one sun and 3 spotlights, this number doubles to 8 if you have shadows on)

8000 x 4 x 90 x 8 = 23,040,000

- We cant do anything about the object count or lights since that's up to the user. We can however reduce the material count to 1, and clean up the triangle count some.

7000 x 1 x 90 x 8 = 5,040,000

- That's a 78% reduction in draw calls and almost 0 reduction in quality! Even if you didn't touch the triangle count you would get a 75% reduction in draw calls.

We can also see from this example that the triangle count has much less of an effect on draw calls than the number of objects, lights and most importantly materials.

5. If you do the action groups and then save them with the craft they get saved to the craft file. You cant save action groups with individual parts.

6. Maybe it is the density of the object? Try making the floats weigh almost nothing and make sure they are separate attachable parts on the bottom.

Edited by frizzank

I think you could separate the fairings. Ideally, you should make each one an upwards-firing thruster (as S-IC retrorockets were located there) and a functional winglet, as well. If you need help with configuring this, I can lend you a hand. Also, separate winglets would allow for better FAR support.

Regarding FPS, I'm not getting any problems. I suppose consolidating textures into as few as possible (so you could cross-reference them and save memory) would help performance on weaker computers.

Also, it would be really nice if you made the S-IVB APS. I posted a link to a good reference on how it looked. CSM RCS is a bit weak when you've got a huge upper stage still attached, and this would make maneuvering the S-IVB easier both when attached and after separation.

Edited by Guest

Does anyone else have problems targetting the LM hatch?

It kind of makes docking parallel to it a bit harder (but not impossible by a long shot). I tend to use mods to show me if I am parallel to to docking port so that first touch is usually a solid lock.

Oh and Denny if you really want 1000000000 points... you could make an IVA view that lets you look down from the LM window. The real one had that scale in two pieces so you knew when you were looking from the right point. When both scales were aligned it showed you where you were going to come down (which is where Neil realised they were coming down in a crater). Using a mix of your Apollo and the MechJeb translatron it should be a way to make a landing very similar to the real event.

Get Crew Manifest... You can transfer the Kerbs from the CM to the LM and back easy that way.

Does anyone else have problems targetting the LM hatch?

It kind of makes docking parallel to it a bit harder (but not impossible by a long shot). I tend to use mods to show me if I am parallel to to docking port so that first touch is usually a solid lock.

Oh and Denny if you really want 1000000000 points... you could make an IVA view that lets you look down from the LM window. The real one had that scale in two pieces so you knew when you were looking from the right point. When both scales were aligned it showed you where you were going to come down (which is where Neil realised they were coming down in a crater). Using a mix of your Apollo and the MechJeb translatron it should be a way to make a landing very similar to the real event.

I wanted this as well, but then I figured.. the LEM was designed for tall humans. Not short kerbals. And as you know the astronauts stood up in the LEM. So Denny had to add a booster seat for our tiny green men. So a kerbal would have to stand up on the control panel to look down. Would look rather silly in the IVA view. Now id say Denny could just have a camera to act as that view, but.. its already there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.