APOLLO (SATURN-V with F1 & J2, APOLLO CSM, LEM, LLRV). by OLDD (v.1.4. 09.05.14)

DennyTX

Uhm.. Denny my current savegame doesn't have the nodes unlocked just yet, but I could use treeloader to open them all up. Would that work, or.. would it corrupt the savegame/make trouble shooting harder?

EDIT: TreeEdit rather.. here ya go Denny.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4lrwm1nupgx4u7/saves.rar

As well as the KSP Log and Output should it help in anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sidip2euezd0ss/KSP.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0qhj73kzb2sp18/output_log.txt

I tried just loading the Apollo CM on the pad and indeed I couldn't perform science. BUT I could perform the science you have built into the pod. "Ship Status" for instance.. works. But the stock science doesn't. So idk maybe that's the culprit.

Edited by Motokid600

Regarding the request for an APS:

Well. this devices can be separate but how to use it? I dont know the way how to activate auxiliary engines before the ignition of main one. also i performed tests and with RCS onboard S-IVB becomes very manoeuvrable. But as i know S-IVB was very clumsy and slow device.

The way I would do it is to set up the APS with a cfg containing both RCS module and an SRB for the ullage function (even if in reality the APS was a liquid motor, it's easier to add handle it in KSP as if it was a separatron). The staging sequence would look like this:

- S-II burn

- Separation + APS burn

- S-IVB burn

The APS was used later to crash the S-IVB into the Moon, but in KSP we can do that with the main engine because there is more than enough left-over propellant after the TLI burn.

Also, are you planning to do an ejectable cover for the SIM bay ? The new SM looks unfinished without it...

No, that's not the way to do it. We've got solid ullage motors. Make the APS a liquid motor instead, but one with fixed thrust.

Staging would look like:

S-II burn.

Separation burn (S-II retros+S-IVB ullage motors).

S-IVB circularization burn.

S-IVB shutdown.

APS ullage burn.

S-IVB TLI burn.

APS moon-crasher burn.

Yes, but staging in KSP doesn't allow you to turn off the APS motor after the 1st ullage burn, which you need to do if you want to restart it later. The only way around that is to set up the staging sequencing with group event keys, but then you are probably going to run out of keys (I already have group keys for launch tower jettison, SLA jettison/CSM sep, science, LM descent stage jettison, chutes, and so on...)

Yes, but staging in KSP doesn't allow you to turn off the APS motor after the 1st ullage burn, which you need to do if you want to restart it later. The only way around that is to set up the staging sequencing with group event keys, but then you are probably going to run out of keys (I already have group keys for launch tower jettison, SLA jettison/CSM sep, science, LM descent stage jettison, chutes, and so on...)

You can probably spare at least one AG to toggle the APS on and off. Since Denny said he'll be doing EI integration, he would have to do that. APS is too weak to ullage a full S-IVB, but is pressure-fed, meaning it can be used for multiple ullage burns needed for multiple restarts once the circularization burn is complete.

Is it possible to make the SPS (the engine on the Service Module) binary... ie not throttle-able.

Set the minimum thrust the same as the maximum thrust in the .cfg. I think there may be a code line to turn throttle on and of as well but this works.

Anybody tested SATURN with new KerbalJointReinforcement?

It worked ok (without additional struts) in 0.23 but there were needs for struts becomes in KJR for 0.235

But seems new KJR has been released recently.

Anybody tested SATURN with new KerbalJointReinforcement?

It worked ok (without additional struts) in 0.23 but there were needs for struts becomes in KJR for 0.235

But seems new KJR has been released recently.

Yes, I have tested it and it's rock solid I have to say. Just like with the old KJR.

Yes, I have tested it and it's rock solid I have to say. Just like with the old KJR.

I've noticed a wobble in the docking collar though. Especially when you tell MechJeb to go prograde or retrograde. The parachute cover jiggles like crazy at times so I ended up reducing the torque on the CM IIRC.

Re the SPS throttle...

Set the minimum thrust the same as the maximum thrust in the .cfg. I think there may be a code line to turn throttle on and of as well but this works.

Wow... simple fixes sometimes fly right over my head. Thanks for that.

Edited by NeoMorph

Wow... simple fixes sometimes fly right over my head. Thanks for that.

I'm glad, I could help! I don't remember if KJR actually did anything with the docking ports but I can also confirm that wobble on the CSM + LM combination. I usually change the parameters of the LEM and CSM docking ports to the docking port Jr.'s parameters and it seems to somewhat solve the problem also with that the CSM can be docked to those ports as well. I haven't tried adding the 1.25m docking parameters though.

NeoMorph: the danger doing it that way is to turn the engine off you will need to disable it, which kills most dV calculations. This is why RealFuels has a hack (if throttle = 0, set minThrust back to 0; if throttle > 0, set minThrust to maxThrust * amount_engine_is_throttleable).

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by NeoMorph viewpost-right.png

I've noticed a wobble in the docking collar though. Especially when you tell MechJeb to go prograde or retrograde. The parachute cover jiggles like crazy at times so I ended up reducing the torque on the CM IIRC.

Same Here.

hmm. never seen same. may i look at this in movie?

Edited by DennyTX

Actually tried this... and you can't turn the engine off when you turn it on. :(

hmm. never seen same. may i look at this in movie?

Well, I'm just rendering that but I have just found another weird thing happening now. I think another mod is not happy with Apollo...

No idea what is causing this... I think I need to strip my build down and find out what is causing this...

Edit: Here is the Lem and CSM doing the jiggle...

Edited by NeoMorph

Well, I'm just rendering that but I have just found another weird thing happening now. I think another mod is not happy with Apollo...

http://youtu.be/fpwLdNcVbcI

No idea what is causing this... I think I need to strip my build down and find out what is causing this...

yup, indeed. looks ugly.

but i'm sure this is one of the other mods you have installed.

I have about 50 mods installed now (no FAR and realChutes) and never caught same dance.

But we should find the causer.

I think about realChutes installed or KJR not installed. Do you have it?

I don't have Realchutes but I do have KJR installed.

Thing is, I know for a fact it didn't used to do this... I have landed and returned several missions with no problems (after I fixed the RPM corruption that is). Something is obviously not happy with that docking port.

There seems to be a phantom force that MJ was fighting too when the torque was turned on...

I'll start stripping KSP down later on (it's 4:43am here in the UK... another late night) and let you know what is going on. Funny thing is that the Escape tower thing only just happened when I went to launch a Apollo to make the recording. At one point the tower manage to start freaking out so badly it crashed KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.