APOLLO (SATURN-V with F1 & J2, APOLLO CSM, LEM, LLRV). by OLDD (v.1.4. 09.05.14)

DennyTX

No it didn't. Having it as a separate part is good, but it really shouldn't be a decoupler.

I just moved the decoupler to its own stage 0.

The inflatables should only happen at splashdown too (actually didn't the divers add it?). The capsule pretty much sinks as well with it. It's a global problem with all capsules in KSP I have seen.

well. the only way i see is get your mods list.

and i began to investigate

I've built a new build of my mods... and lo and behold the mysterious wobbling has stopped. I've kept the old, broken one and have tried to figure it out.

One thing I did notice before the problem occurred is that several icons in my toolbar went nuts and just had that little ? icon that says "oops, can't find the graphic". Whether it was a corruption somewhere or Active Texture Management went bonkers is another problem. But it was just afterwards that my Apollo went all wobbly on me.

The new build is solid again. I must have missed something in my rebuild. Will continue to look at it.

For your info, here is the list of the mods I have installed.

• 000_Toolbar
  • ActiveTextureManagement
  • Bobcat's AmericanPack
  • blackheart's Procedural Fairings
  • BobCat's Soyuz
  • Diazo's Landing Height
  • Diazo's Action Group Extender
  • EditorExtensions
  • Firespitter
  • FusTek Space Station Parts
  • JSI RasterPropMonitor
  • KAS
  • kOS
  • Keramzit Procedural Fairings
  • KerbalJointReinforcement
  • KOSMOS
  • KSO - Stubby Orbiter Phase II
  • KWRocketry
  • MechJeb2
  • MechJeb2RPM
  • ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll
  • NavyFish Docking Port Alignment
  • OLDD
  • Romfarer Docking Camera
  • SCANsatRPM
  • ShipManifest
  • Targetron
  • Telemachus
  • ThunderAerospace TAC Fuel Balancer

No it didn't. Having it as a separate part is good, but it really shouldn't be a decoupler.

According to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia:

At 24,000 feet (7.3 km) the forward heat shield was jettisoned using four pressurized-gas compression springs. The drogue parachutes were then deployed, slowing the spacecraft to 125 miles per hour (201 km/h). At 10,700 feet (3.3 km) the drogues were jettisoned and the pilot parachutes, which pulled out the mains, were deployed. These slowed the CM to 22 miles per hour (35 km/h) for splashdown. The portion of the capsule which first contacted the water surface was built with crushable ribs to further mitigate the force of impact. The Apollo Command Module could safely parachute to an ocean landing with at least two parachutes (as occurred on Apollo 15), the third parachute being a safety precaution.

Taken from this page.

Apollo isn't the only capsule to use jettisonable heat shields. Soyuz had them, too.

The forward heat shield was the "parachute cover" at the top of the capsule. It had to be jettisoned to deploy the parachutes.

cmapex.gif

The main heat shield stayed attached, as can be seen on all the CMs that are now in museums.

5572211970_b16ef45e82_z.jpg

Washington-A&SMuseum-Apollo11Backside.jpg

Replace ColorRed.mbm with a copy of ColorWhiteDark.mbm in the Apollo CSM folder. This will also get rid of the ugly red coverings on LES struts. The only downside would be that the parachutes would turn white/gray as well.

The forward heat shield was the "parachute cover" at the top of the capsule. It had to be jettisoned to deploy the parachutes.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/ap15fj/pics/cmapex.gif

The main heat shield stayed attached, as can be seen on all the CMs that are now in museums.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5023/5572211970_b16ef45e82_z.jpg

http://www.celestialfireworks.com/tmp/images/Washington-A&SMuseum-Apollo11Backside.jpg

Oh, alright. TIL.

Wow, I didn't know they actually bothered retrieving the forward heat shield.

ETA: It seems that the Apollo 4 and Apollo 17 forward heat shield were the only ones recovered. Apollo 4 was because it was a test flight and for Apollo 17 only because it splashed down right next to a recovery helicopter (which probably caused some distress to the crew!)

Edited by Nibb31

Wow, I didn't know they actually bothered retrieving the forward heat shield.

ETA: It seems that the Apollo 4 and Apollo 17 forward heat shield were the only ones recovered. Apollo 4 was because it was a test flight and for Apollo 17 only because it splashed down right next to a recovery helicopter (which probably caused some distress to the crew!)

They got the 15 one as well as others. Remember that was the one that had a collapsed chute so maybe they came down together.

Here is a list of the recovery ops...

• AS-201 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • AS-202 A portion of layered material was retrieved; however, this was possibly a portion of the forward heat shield.
  • Apollo 4 The Apex Cover with its parachute was also recovered.
  • Apollo 6 The apex cover was not sighted.
  • Apollo 7 The apex cover was not sighted; however, a piece of recovered insulation material was believed to be from this cover.
  • Apollo 8 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Apollo 9 The main parachutes were not recovered, but the apex cover was retrieved.
  • Apollo 10 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Apollo 11 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Apollo 12 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Apollo 13 Swimmers retrieved the apex cover, which as located upwind of the spacecraft.
  • Apollo 14 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Apollo 15 Swimmers secured a life raft to the forward heat shield. One main parachute and the heat shield were retrieved.
  • Apollo 16 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Apollo 17 In addition to the command module, all three main parachutes and the forward heat shield were recovered.
  • Skylab 2 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Skylab 3 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • Skylab 4 No mention of Apex Cover recovery.
  • ASTP All three main parachutes and the forward heat shield (apex cover) were recovered.

Here is Apollo 4's Foward Heat Shield...

cssc017_apex.jpg

I found this info on CollectSpace... http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000930.html

Edited by NeoMorph

The mysterious wobbling is coming from RSS mod.

RSS? I have never had that installed and yet got the wobbles. I'm wondering if approaching the memory limit is affecting the thing. I just can't figure out why first the icons began vanishing from the toolbar and then the wobbling began which ended in that weird launch escape system trying to bounce off the top of the stack.

I've noticed my new install has already gotten the Targetron icons turning to the little ? signs.

Well, I'm just rendering that but I have just found another weird thing happening now. I think another mod is not happy with Apollo...

http://youtu.be/fpwLdNcVbcI

No idea what is causing this... I think I need to strip my build down and find out what is causing this...

Edit: Here is the Lem and CSM doing the jiggle...

http://youtu.be/728hMCQi-SA

I just had the escape tower flip out and destroy the launch vehicle as well. Pretty sure that Texture Reduction Pack is the culprit. Apollo worked flawlessly until I installed it.

I just had the escape tower flip out and destroy the launch vehicle as well. Pretty sure that Texture Reduction Pack is the culprit. Apollo worked flawlessly until I installed it.

I have the same problem,and never i install the "Texture Reduction Pack",and happened when Apollo CSM be to orbit not with LES,but with chute heatshield,and one time happened to chute when i "come" back to Kerbin when i separate the chute heatshield i deploy my chutes and at 500 m above the sea when the full chute deploy.

http://prntscr.com/3b25mx

Edited by CERVERUS

Those are the most beautiful models I have ever seen here. I was 10 and watched the landing live on a 19" B/W Television.

Once it has the lander I will have to use this and re-enact one of my most cherished memories.

Thank you man, that is a lot of work, and proper appreciation for it simply cannot be put into words.

Utterly amazing.

'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae....Jeb :huh::cool::confused:

Those are the most beautiful models I have ever seen here. I was 10 and watched the landing live on a 19" B/W Television.

Once it has the lander I will have to use this and re-enact one of my most cherished memories.

Thank you man, that is a lot of work, and proper appreciation for it simply cannot be put into words.

Utterly amazing.

'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae....Jeb :huh::cool::confused:

Thanks.

Such words motivate me to do more.

Some more packs are upcoming.

Utterly amazing.

I was 7 when Armstrong walked on the moon and I watched most of the televised launches I saw Skylab go into space and come back down, I would have to agree your models are excellent and to able to play an actual apollo mission is awesome

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.