APOLLO (SATURN-V with F1 & J2, APOLLO CSM, LEM, LLRV). by OLDD (v.1.4. 09.05.14)

DennyTX

I haven't tried the Saturn V. I'm not at that point with my caterer yet. But what I'm doing is the Saturn 1B configuration. But.. the S-IVB with its single J2 has a TWR of.. iirc something like .76. I cannot reach orbit. Falls right back to Kerbin like a rock. I'm concerned that the S-II will be weak as well once I get to that. Is this intended?

I haven't tried the Saturn V. I'm not at that point with my caterer yet. But what I'm doing is the Saturn 1B configuration. But.. the S-IVB with its single J2 has a TWR of.. iirc something like .76. I cannot reach orbit. Falls right back to Kerbin like a rock. I'm concerned that the S-II will be weak as well once I get to that. Is this intended?

Yes, it's intended. You just need to change your flight profile, tinker around with it a bit :)

Problem is I'm using FAR. So I need to start pitching at about 2km ( normally 200 meters, but I can only get a 1.3 twr with Frizzank's Saturn 1B. ) Everything is fine until stage sep and that single, underpowered J2 fires. The first stage doesn't have nearly enough Dv for a .76 twr to finish the job.

Problem is I'm using FAR. So I need to start pitching at about 2km ( normally 200 meters, but I can only get a 1.3 twr with Frizzank's Saturn 1B. ) Everything is fine until stage sep and that single, underpowered J2 fires. The first stage doesn't have nearly enough Dv for a .76 twr to finish the job.

Then tinker with the flight profile. You should probably do a smaller pitchover maneuver, so that your apoapsis will be pretty high before your S-IVB is ignited. That should help, although I can't say for sure, as I play with Frizzank's Saturn IB, not Dennys.

Then tinker with the flight profile. You should probably do a smaller pitchover maneuver, so that your apoapsis will be pretty high before your S-IVB is ignited. That should help, although I can't say for sure, as I play with Frizzank's Saturn IB, not Dennys.

There's only one Saturn IB... TO RULE THEM ALL!

Few questions..

ASLEEP... stick the box on the descent stage, stick the instrument in the box?

The duel plane interstage. How is this performed? I see one decoupler action that goes in staging, but two in action groups. The one in staging drops S1, but after that it sticks to SII all the way to orbit.

There's only one Saturn IB... TO RULE THEM ALL!

So Denny doesn't have a S-IB? I think I finally figured out what's in which pack now. So FASA has a Saturn IB, a half-done Saturn V, Denny's LEM and CSM, Gemini stuff and mercury stuff. Denny has his own LEM, CSM and a more realistic Saturn V.

The F1 and J2 engines have no flames come out! What is wrong?

becoz ur out of fuel, head to gas station now! LUlz, sorry, im abit drunk now.

are you using ksp 0.23.5? those engine effect use the new effects that's new from .23.5, so ur most likely using old ksp.

"Here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjlfsl0uwoh3571/APOLLO.craft"

Doesn't work for me. Says I have missing parts so maybe you have some type of extra modded part maybe? I'm ready to give up on this. I've spent 8-10 hours screwing with this and can't get it to work. It has something to do with the LEM and CSM docking devices. I can't get the stupid CSM-LEM deployment device to be nice. Why can't the creator of this great looking mod just upload the craft files? Or someone. Please ;.;

I know you said Denny that you don't use FAR, but your Saturn V flys amazingly with it. But.. the command module rips through the atmosphere losing only a quarter of the energy of what it should be from a trans munar trajectory. After three more passes through Kerbins astosphere the mission ended with a new crater caused by the CM hitting the ground well over terminal velocity.

ok so ive spent some more time on it. im having trouble assembling everything above stage 3. not sure how the LEM fits in there correctly

Something is kind of fishy about this mod if you ask me. First of all there are no craft files anywhere. The instructions on how to assemble are OK till you get past the building of the CSM then he says just finish building the LEM. Here again I can NEVER get the 2 pieces to go together. The issue is the docking nods for both parts plus the separator. Then I have this question: Lets say you actual get it together. Then what? The CSM is upside down. What's on top of it? I've played with putting the fairing piece on and no matter what it clips into the CSM. There have been plenty of us asking/begging for a craft file. Why can't one be posted? I loved this craft and would love to recreate some mun missions but it's just not happening.

I had no probs after realising most of the parts are in the Utility section.

I didn't offer my build because I made some mods (namely adding Deadly Re-entry ablative shielding to the heatshield).

I had the same problem and needed a craft file and someone helped me out, so here is a link to a completed Saturn V with Lem

http://www./view/s43r7nci7zsxp8t/Apollo_11.craft

Any problems let me know

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I see the issue I was running into was I had the CSM and LEM facing each other. I knew that wasn't how it was suppose to be but the instructions are very unclear. {hand slaps the forehead}

Ummm question: This is the most unstable rocket (due to it's height) I've seen. It tips over while sitting on the launch pad lol. I put struts on it but it doesn't seem to help. Any advice?

There does need to be some documentation on how to assemble and use the craft. Assembling the big parts is straight forward. I've successfully flew the CSM and LEM in high Kerbin orbit. Works beautifully. But I had to figure it out all on my own and I still do not know some things such as

What is ASLEEP? When I Google this all I get is "how the astronauts slept"

What do these science modules do? ( I know how to use them via KAS )

How are they intended to be mounted?

What is the box and it's purposes?

What is the bump out meant for on the descent module?

What is the small void in the service module?

How is the RCS on the CSM supposed to be balanced? Because the quad thrusters along with the CM's thrusters are so badly balanced its not even funny. I had to use more powerful surface mount quads placed lower just above the SPS to get a better balance. But is still bottom heavy.

Love your work Denny its just these little things that are up in the air with me. Could really use a detailed breakdown of the systems and there intended use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.