APOLLO (SATURN-V with F1 & J2, APOLLO CSM, LEM, LLRV). by OLDD (v.1.4. 09.05.14)

DennyTX

The one thing that bother me about yours and Frizznaks is that the heat shield looks already used. Obviously I know FASA and your parts are the same so I ask you why did you texture the heat shield to look used? Is this so that after reentry it looks right?

What's the story on the Apollo CM IVA?

"Long ago in a distant land, I, CM IVA the shape-shifting master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But another project wielding a magic sword stepped up to oppose me! Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future where my evil is law! Now the project seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is CM IVA...."

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any plan to fix the polygon smoothing on the Apollo CM? There some odd smoothing going on at certain angles, and I suspect setting some hard edges would alleviate the problem.

well, the story is short.

when it has been realised first time it was 64% scaled, but after joining to FASA pack the problem with sizes occured. And me and Frizzank decided to scaled down items to 54-55%

As long as you conform to the proportions, there's no problem. I noticed that your S-IVB is too small compared to Apollo CSM. Could you try scaling the whole rocket to 64%? That would make the CSM 2.5m (meaning you'd be free to keep the size, IVAs and all) , but the S-IVB would have to be scaled up, and the rest of the rocket scaled to match. Since your S-IVB doesn't really need to conform to stock sizes (we've got Frizzank's one for that), it might be better to go "100% real". You'd only have to remodel the SLA (oh, and please make a version with jettisonable fairings).

Another thing. I found that textures on the ullage/retromotors are messed up. They are not smooth white, but have some embossing on them that look very strange. The red covering on the nozzles also probably shouldn't be there. Finally, in the .craft file, you've got only 4 ullage motors on the interstage, where there should be 8 of them.

As long as you conform to the proportions, there's no problem. I noticed that your S-IVB is too small compared to Apollo CSM. Could you try scaling the whole rocket to 64%? That would make the CSM 2.5m (meaning you'd be free to keep the size, IVAs and all) , but the S-IVB would have to be scaled up, and the rest of the rocket scaled to match. Since your S-IVB doesn't really need to conform to stock sizes (we've got Frizzank's one for that), it might be better to go "100% real". You'd only have to remodel the SLA (oh, and please make a version with jettisonable fairings).

Another thing. I found that textures on the ullage/retromotors are messed up. They are not smooth white, but have some embossing on them that look very strange. The red covering on the nozzles also probably shouldn't be there. Finally, in the .craft file, you've got only 4 ullage motors on the interstage, where there should be 8 of them.

Dragon, I'm working with Denny to get things working a bit better. FWIW, the models themselves for the most part are all modeled in a 1:1 scale. He is very willing to help, so give us some time.

Also, concerning the ullage motors, while at one point there was 8, it was reduced down to 4 after a while.

Ah, you're right. The most iconic version I remember (Apollo 11, of course) had 8. No problem with that, then.

Um...No...Apollo 4 and 6 had 8 motors, while Apollo 8-14 had 4, they were completely eliminated with Apollo 15 and sub. Apollo 15 also saw the removal of 4 retro rockets on the S-IC, but they were installed once again (total 8) on 16-17-Skylab.

On the CSM model, there appear to be some smoothing issues, are these from the normal map or could they be they just need to have their hard edges set? If you'd like I can take a quick look at the model, since I do a bit of 3D stuff. Just trying to help make things look their best!

• 2 weeks later...

Love the mod, great modeling work, but it behaves like a heavy wet noodle on liftoff. My first launch it bent over and exploded. Second launch I reinforced the launch with FASA launch towers. lifts off but too heavy to maintain vertical flight, bends over like macaroni.

Love the mod, great modeling work, but it behaves like a heavy wet noodle on liftoff. My first launch it bent over and exploded. Second launch I reinforced the launch with FASA launch towers. lifts off but too heavy to maintain vertical flight, bends over like macaroni.

Odd I haven't seen that issue. Do you turn RCS on before launch? I've taken care of a bunch of issues with all kinds of craft by turning that on. As for being to heavy I've not see that issue but here again try using RCS and see if that helps. I always use the launch towers on anything I use because nothing is stable enough for me ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Solves some wobbling problems. (seems like no needs in struts)

Question: I can not EVA the Lunar Module it says hatch is obstructed anyone know why?

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Solves some wobbling problems. (seems like no needs in struts)

Question: I can not EVA the Lunar Module it says hatch is obstructed anyone know why?

from the starting message ;)

ACHTUNG! ATTENTION! Atención! Attenzione! Animum adhibe! انتبه! Òýøüðýøõ!

Hatch for EVA must be opened from IVA for exit. Click handles on the hatch. Otherwise you will get "hatch is obstruced" message.

• 2 weeks later...

just for today ... i launched the Saturn V with Bill, Bob and Jeb to Mun ... maybe i should try RSS ... hrm

nevertheless Denny , i'm still amazed how beautifull your Saturn V is, and the LEM, and the CM and SM and everything else. just ...shiny !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.