APOLLO (SATURN-V with F1 & J2, APOLLO CSM, LEM, LLRV). by OLDD (v.1.4. 09.05.14)

DennyTX

Together with that dinky thing? You might recall that Denny made some F-1 engines, and now is also making and S-IVB/S-II interstage... Go figure. :) It'd take what, at this point? Two tanks, two engine mounts, and a decoupler. Of that, the S-IC engine mount is something I'd love to see in Denny's style, with retrorockets, 64% scale and all the jazz.

You are going to make a full Saturn V, Denny? Pretty please... :)

Nice work! That looks to be fun to play with.

The petals of the S-IVB were not connected when opened(on Apollo 8 and onwards), though I'm not sure how accurate you want it to be(I guess it's accurate enough if you are going for pre-8).

From wikpedia

On all flights through Apollo 7, the SLA panels remained hinged to the S-IVB and opened to a 45 degree angle, as originally designed.
But as the Apollo 7 crew practiced rendezvous with the S-IVB/SLA containing a dummy docking target, concerns surfaced about the possibility of collision
between the spacecraft and the SLA panels during docking and extraction of the Lunar Module in a lunar mission.
This led to a redesign using a spring-loaded hinge release system which released the panels at the 45 degree angle and pushed them away from the
S-IVB at a velocity of about five miles per hour, putting them a safe distance away by the time the astronauts pulled the
Command/Service Module away, rotated it through 180 degrees, and came back for docking.

-

Kolbjorn

Nice work! That looks to be fun to play with.

The petals of the S-IVB were not connected when opened(on Apollo 8 and onwards), though I'm not sure how accurate you want it to be(I guess it's accurate enough if you are going for pre-8).

From wikpedia

On all flights through Apollo 7, the SLA panels remained hinged to the S-IVB and opened to a 45 degree angle, as originally designed.
But as the Apollo 7 crew practiced rendezvous with the S-IVB/SLA containing a dummy docking target, concerns surfaced about the possibility of collision
between the spacecraft and the SLA panels during docking and extraction of the Lunar Module in a lunar mission.
This led to a redesign using a spring-loaded hinge release system which released the panels at the 45 degree angle and pushed them away from the
S-IVB at a velocity of about five miles per hour, putting them a safe distance away by the time the astronauts pulled the
Command/Service Module away, rotated it through 180 degrees, and came back for docking.

-

Kolbjorn

Yup, i know about. But S-IVB with attached and opened panels looks much better than without it. i tred to dock woth LEM and found this procedure is easy enuff. Seems i'm best pilot than APOLLO-7 crew ;). But if i'll understand how the "jettison module" works i could do panels release system as an option.

Also, can anybody help with parachutes. How does it works in game? Unity's structure, names etc

Awesome looks good. I really like the details you put on the J2 stage.

About parachutes, they are just a 2 part animation applied to a parachute mesh. I am predicting that your triple parachutes will become very popular on the top of a lot of pods...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57646?p=770729&viewfull=1#post770729

and an image from unity

http://i.imgur.com/h4T5MBC.png

Just a heads up, the link that's supposed to point to the LRRV points to Gemini lander interior. Could you fix that one? I'd like to try the LRRV out.

Wow. Exactly what I wanted for a Saturn V. :) This is so lovely, you're my hero. :) I love the ullage motors, the size, everything! Where's the download? Gimme! :)

As an aside, you might consider S-IC retrorockets:

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=18085

They're hidden in engine fairings. Upon firing, the caps are jettisoned. You could do it by integrating the retros into the engine mount and making the caps as automatic fairings linked to the top node.

Also, could you remove the red bits? In general, everything that is red on a rocket (besides writing :)) is supposed to be removed before flight. So, all the red elements are protective coverings, handling elements and such stuff. Here are some pics to support this, neither the CSM nor the LES have any red.

http://www.google.pl/imgres?http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Apollo_CSM_lunar_orbit.jpg

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/saturnv_5.jpg

Also, I can't see it clearly, did you model the LES jettison motor and pitch control motor? For jettison, a small solid motor near the top is used, instead of the main escape rocket. Also, in case of an abort, after an escape rocket fired there was a small pitch control engine to give the stack a nudge not to fall back near the pad. The canards would be a nice visual if you could model them, too.

http://history.nasa.gov/ap10fj/pics/lea.jpg

That said, those are just a fanboy's ramblings about Saturn V's obscure details. :) You captured the spirit of this rocket, and that I'm grateful for.

Also, can anybody help with parachutes. How does it works in game? Unity's structure, names etc

You need a few components. You need a base that will hold all the other components. Then you need a transform/mesh that will serve as a cap, which is what disappears when the parachute deploys. Lastly you'll need a canopy transform, which has two animations: a predeployment animation which scales the mesh from 0.01, 0.01, 0.01 -> 0.2, 1, 0.2 and a deployment animation which scales from 0.2, 1, 0.2 -> 1, 1, 1. You can take a look at the parts sumghai made for RealChute, or message him if you have more questions, he might be abe to help more than me :)

Just add those components and ModuleParachute/RealChuteModule will do the rest of the work for you

Yup. I'll repaint reds.

Also, SATURN-V-APOLLO_LEM complex consist from 83 parts now. a lot of? and if i'll add more retrorockets it will be more a lot of ;)

but if more ppl ask, i will.

LES is simplified now, but... if ppl want i'll do it as it should be...

83 parts? That's a fine count for a rocket like that. :) Also, the way I see it, you could add retrorockets without adding parts. Simply integrate them into decouplers, with the caps working as automatic engine fairings. That way, you could only increase the polycount (shouldn't matter much, KSP can take it :)) and leave the part count the same.

I don't know if you tested the abort, but I noticed that having a jettison motor greatly helps when you've just aborted, and need to get rid of the tower. You're going up, so drag would press the LES into the pod rather than remove it. I don't know what is it with your CM, but on some pods, it can get stuck and you need to use reaction wheels to turn the pod and shake it off. Pitch motor and canards would just be icing on the cake, little bits of detail to make people like me squee with joy. Not really needed, but nice (well, the pitch motor could be useful for RSS users, because RSS pods don't have reaction wheels). :)

How does the Gemini Lander Interior work, because I downloaded and installed the mod, but I still only have the stock Lander Can interior. Am I doing something wrong?

(I extract the Gamedata File into the proper place)

Open GameData\FASA\Gemini2\FASA_Gemini_Lander_Pod\part.cfg

find

INTERNAL
{
name = landerCabinInternals
}

change to

INTERNAL
{
name = GeminiLanderInt
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.