[0.90WIP] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em 0.9.21, Dec 19

swamp_ig

Would you prefer decouplers to:  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer decouplers to:

• Closely as possible follow stock behaviour
    • Have a sensible relation between size, decoupler force, and mass

I want to make a request. Seeing how B9 is about to be updated and the D12 Aerotech expansion is in dev it would be cool with a PP/Stretchy B9 texture. Just something that is black or black with tiles at the bottem and grey at the top with a white stripe in the middle.

suggestion: procedural adapters, reaction wheel... i was going to ask for batteries but you already did that :D

Have you tried tweaking the shape to cone? That should make adapters for any circular stack components.

NathanKell suggested I post a link to my released engine calculator here.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81999-Enhanced-Interactive-Rocket-Thrust-Program-%28EIRTP%29

Source code is included in C++; so this could be used as a first step for a code base to make procedural liquid rocket engines (PLREs).

This was the result of a run to calculate KSP Mainsail parameters:

55" Nozzle Inside Exit Diameter:

16:1 Expansion Ratio

Regenerative cooled Metallic Nozzle

700 psi chamber pressure

Single Thrust Chamber

Fuel: LOX/Methane O/F Ratio:3.5 (RD-192)

Standard Tech Levels for Machinery

Overall Efficiency: Slightly worse than H-1/J-2/RL-10

I had some crude engine costing code, but I'm not sure how exactly to define KSP engine costs so far.

Suggestions?

* BELL (PARABOLIC) NOZZLE PERFORMANCE DATA (KSP Ready) *

Propellant Data:
Oxidizer to Fuel Ratio : 3.50
Oxidizer Density : 0.0011400 (KSP cfg Units)
Fuel Density : 0.0004220 (KSP cfg Units)
Overall Propellant Density : 0.0008272 (KSP cfg Units)

PART.CFG information below:

// --- editor parameters ---
cost = 341.15

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 1.07 // tonnes.

// maxTemp = 1,381 // Roughly Equilibrium Temperature
// maxTemp = 2,071 // 75% Overheat Bar
maxTemp = 1,864 // 95% Overheat Bar

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngines
thrustVectorTransformName = NozzleTransform
exhaustDamage = true
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 636.55 // kN - sea level
// maxThrust = 791.86 // kN - vacuum
heatProduction = 291.21
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdMethane
ratio = 0.44
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidOxygen
ratio = 0.56
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 1 252.19
key = 0.9 258.27
key = 0.8 264.41
key = 0.7 270.57
key = 0.6 276.77
key = 0.5 282.93
key = 0.4 289.09
key = 0.3 295.24
key = 0.2 301.39
key = 0.1 307.56
key = 0.05 310.64
key = 0.025 312.18
key = 0.0125 312.95
key = 0.00625 313.33
key = 0 313.72
}
}

Is it just me or does the volume of the procedural tanks doesnt update when I change the size? I deleted the old version of procedural parts and installed the new. When I put a tank under my probe core, I can change the size of the tank according to the tech limitations, but it always stays at 1060 L, no matter how large I make the tank. I use custom tech limits though to make it better fit with RSS, shown below:

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralPart

TECHLIMIT
{
name = start
diameterMin = 1.0
diameterMax = 1.5
lengthMin = 1.0
lengthMax = 1.5
// Remove dependency on the volume, only limit by shape.
volumeMin = 0.001
volumeMax = Infinity
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// FL-T400 - 1.25 x 1.87819 m = 2.305 kL
// FL-T100 - 1.25 x 0.78125 m = 0.959 kL
name = basicRocketry
diameterMin = 0.5
diameterMax = 2.0
lengthMin = 0.5
lengthMax = 2.0
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// FL-T800 - 1.25 x 3.75 m = 4.602 kL
name = advRocketry
diameterMin = 0.2
diameterMax = 3.0
lengthMin = 0.2
lengthMax = 4.0
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// X200-32 - 2.5 x 3.75 m = 18.408 kL
name = heavyRocketry
diameterMin = 0.1
diameterMax = 5.0
lengthMin = 0.1
lengthMax = 8.0
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// Jumbo-64 - 2.5 x 7.5 m = 36.816 kL
name = heavierRocketry
diameterMax = 7.0
lengthMax = 16.0
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// Kerbodyne S3-14400 - 3.75 x 7.5 = 82.614kl
name = veryHeavyRocketry
diameterMax = 10.0
lengthMax = 32.0
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// Not in main sequence. Depends indirectly off basicRocketry only
// X200-8 - 2.5 x 0.9375 m = 4.602 kL
name = advConstruction
diameterMax = 3.0
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// Not in main sequence. Depends indirectly off basicRocketry
// Oscar-B - 0.625 x 0.3485474 m = 0.107 kL
name = precisionEngineering
diameterMin = 0.1
lengthMin = 0.1
}
TECHLIMIT
{
// Make everything unlimited for metaMaterials
name = metaMaterials
diameterMin = 0.001
diameterMax = Infinity
lengthMin = 0.001
lengthMax = Infinity
}

}

Any idea?

Edit: Ohh and I tried using the MM script to adjust the sizes by placing the above shown code into the frame posted on the first page for "mycheat.cfg". It had no effect, I was probably doing it wrong but I dont know the proper syntax :/

Edited by Semmel

Still getting SRM burn time issues with the updated PP and RF. Problem seems to be that both SRMs want to produce the same thrust eg SRM1 burns for 1 min producing 1 MN, SRM2 will burn for whatever time period is required to produce the same 1MN as the first SRM, rather than the time period specified in VAB for SRM2

Does the heat shield part REQUIRE DRE? If so can this dependency be disabled? I like equipping my re-entry capsules with heat shields but don't use DRE.

Currently, yup. It's set to only be visible if you have DRE installed. However, you can change this by removing ':NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]' from the very first line of the heat shield cfg file.

Still getting SRM burn time issues with the updated PP and RF. Problem seems to be that both SRMs want to produce the same thrust eg SRM1 burns for 1 min producing 1 MN, SRM2 will burn for whatever time period is required to produce the same 1MN as the first SRM, rather than the time period specified in VAB for SRM2

Ahh... have managed to replicate this now. Didn't realize you had RF + PP.

Should be fixable...

Edit: yep fixed, it was a RF issue. I'm not sure why or how this was working with the old version of RF, because the same bug was present. Looks to me like even StretchySRBs would have had the same issue. Maybe it just wasn't found?

NK will no doubt release a bugfix RF version in due course.

Edited by swamp_ig

Currently, yup. It's set to only be visible if you have DRE installed. However, you can change this by removing ':NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]' from the very first line of the heat shield cfg file.

There's not a lot of point having a heatshield without DRE. If you want a similar shape you can use a structural part.

Is it just me or does the volume of the procedural tanks doesnt update when I change the size? I deleted the old version of procedural parts and installed the new. When I put a tank under my probe core, I can change the size of the tank according to the tech limitations, but it always stays at 1060 L, no matter how large I make the tank.

I too am having this issue, although with Real Fuels installed...

Tried a few different combinations of fixes and no cigar yet.

Anybody care to give a quick explanation as to how the techrequired thing works? Trying to customize it for my RSS campaign but i'm not grasping it apparently. Does the RSS modulemanager configuration multiply the values in the part.cfgs by .08? Is there anything else altering it?

I want to be able to make size 0.5 from the start technode, right now I can only scale down to 1.128. If I update to heavyRocketry technode I can size it down to 0.944, but there's nothing in the config saying it can go smaller between these nodes. Confused a bit? yes I am. Is there an easier way to do this, or atleast a formula so i can tell how large the sizes will be without winging it?

Better yet, Somebody who's already done this with a MM config that i can alter to my needs.

Anybody care to give a quick explanation as to how the techrequired thing works? Trying to customize it for my RSS campaign but i'm not grasping it apparently. Does the RSS modulemanager configuration multiply the values in the part.cfgs by .08? Is there anything else altering it?

The limits on the tanks are there so you can't go too far from what would be available from stock. There's a MM patch in the OP that will alter the size limits with tech levels. The easy way to see where the limits are is just to scale your part down or up to that size. Note that volume is limited as well, so you might find you can make a bigger diameter tank if you make it shorter.

RSS scales everything down by 0.8 (including the stock parts), so all the limits are similarly scaled. Given that you might end up with some odd numbers, but it is what it is.

If you want to see what the limits are in-game, probably the easiest way is to hit Alt-F12, and go through the part catalog for the part you're interested in.

I too am having this issue, although with Real Fuels installed...

Tried a few different combinations of fixes and no cigar yet.

If you're having a problem with not doing anything this is usually because an old version of tweakscale everything is installed. Update it and you'll find it works.

Second step is to look at the KSP logs for exceptions. This is called KSP.log in your KSP install dir. If you're still having trouble, upload your KSP log to dropbox or something similar and post a link here and someone will help you.

Is there a way to simply disable the tech tree resizing? It's a bit of a hassle to mess with, and to be honest i don't really need it. My engine sizes will regulate my tank sizes, which is what i wanted to change it for anyway.

Is there a way to simply disable the tech tree resizing? It's a bit of a hassle to mess with, and to be honest i don't really need it. My engine sizes will regulate my tank sizes, which is what i wanted to change it for anyway.

You can start by reading the OP, it's explained there.

All I want is for the tanks to act like they do in sandbox. The OP only gives a config for making the tech unlocks more generous, not what i said I was looking for. Unless I'm blind I see nothing at all about disabling this feature.

All I want is for the tanks to act like they do in sandbox. The OP only gives a config for making the tech unlocks more generous, not what i said I was looking for. Unless I'm blind I see nothing at all about disabling this feature.

That's simple, just look at the last node it unlocks, change the name to "start" and delete every other techlimit entry.

You would think but it just ends up crashing my game when i click on the part. Touchiest .cfg file i've ever seen. I've tried it a few ways but it just ends up in crashing when loading the part in Career mode, not in sandbox though.

I have a problem with the srbs, you can not make them akin to life.

Specifically the space shuttle srb, if I make one of real size

Height 149.16 feet (45.46 m)

Diameter 12.17 feet (3.71 m)

The thrust is nowhere near:

Thrust 2,800,000 pounds-force (12,000 kN)

Infact the max is 8KN which is barely enough to lift it off the pad, it should be able to have much more thrust than that.

I am not complaining about burn time to thrust either, I just want more allowable thrust on bigger srbs.

You would think but it just ends up crashing my game when i click on the part. Touchiest .cfg file i've ever seen. I've tried it a few ways but it just ends up in crashing when loading the part in Career mode, not in sandbox though.

You need to look in the log to see why, I'd try it myself but I'm on vacation for a while.

When balancing things I often come to a point where I'd like to change the type of a procedural part. In this case make the battery structural and turn one of the structural parts into a battery. To do this I need to tweak two new parts to look like the ones I already have and rebuild pretty much the whole craft. So I thought, wouldn't it make sense to merge all the procedural containers and the structural part into one Part? The nosecone could become another part like this, with all the options in one catalog entry. After all, the different tanks have much more commonalities (the shaping abilities) than differences (the type of resource). What do you think?

toyplane.png

I have a problem with the srbs, you can not make them akin to life.

Specifically the space shuttle srb, if I make one of real size

Damn, I thought I'd fixed this. Are you using Real Fuels and the Procedural Parts RSS patch?

When balancing things I often come to a point where I'd like to change the type of a procedural part. In this case make the battery structural and turn one of the structural parts into a battery. To do this I need to tweak two new parts to look like the ones I already have and rebuild pretty much the whole craft. So I thought, wouldn't it make sense to merge all the procedural containers and the structural part into one Part? The nosecone could become another part like this, with all the options in one catalog entry. After all, the different tanks have much more commonalities (the shaping abilities) than differences (the type of resource). What do you think?

Would be nice yes, but due to technical reasons this wouldn't work too well. I could go into details but maybe just take it on faith :)

If you really want to find out why, read the last 70 pages of thread :)

I am not using realistic fuel.

SRB 1

Height: 45.5 meters

Width: 3.75 meters

Height / Width: 12.13

Thrust: 7031 kn

Burn Time: 168 seconds

Weight: 612000 kg

TWR: 1.17

SRB 2

Height: 15.13 meters

Width: 1.25 meters

Height / Width: 12.096

Thrust: 781 kn

Burn Time: 56 seconds

Weight: 22657 kg

TWR: 3.52

Both solid rocker boosters have the same height to width ratio and thrust maxed out but the bigger SRB has much less thrust to weight, barely enough to lift itself.

I am just requesting that whatever equation you use be tweaked a bit on the high end to allow a TWR at take off of around 2.

On another note the exact copy of the shuttle srb spawns with the nozzle at the top offset to one side, perhaps you could make the exact same dimensions with a max nozzle and surface style srb and see if this happens to you.

Edit: It fixed itself after a restart.

Reedit: Problem seems to happen after alt tabbing with a procedural srb on the pad then going back to build and launching again, need to restart again to fix it.

Edited by Spider0804